increasing amount of legacy items - unsportsmanlike

"

AntiG: excuse, reason, justification. Take your pick. :)

I pick: fact ;-)
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
"
Antigegner wrote:
A game needs to offer fair (the same) chances for everyone.

No it doesn't. Even if it did, your version of fair probably sucks for alot of people. Which is why the full of shit "it's not fair" rhetoric needs to be addressed at every turn.
Last edited by Essi on Dec 15, 2014, 3:18:00 AM
"
mego950 wrote:
Because then they would have to explain why it isn't a "supported" league and why it is considered the garbage league. This unfortunately, would have to bring to light mistakes on their end too. I don't think it would look too good.

It's an inherent design of the Diablo clone paradigm. The economy doesn't rot items like the economy in real life does, so all they can do is flush everything down the toilet periodically. Even if botting wasn't trivial (mouse clicking is sooo easy to automate) inflation and malaise takes root... I'm sure the #1 thing leaguers enjoy most, is seeing those shiny sparkling clean storage panes. Way moreso than league-only uniques.
"
Got a solution?
I do, but it most likely involves:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
They've said they'd have to take the game servers down for a matter of days if they chose to do this.

The solution I imagine GGG would implement if they felt it was necessary is a conversion to a table reference system. And it would take days to convert all items, and there are a lot, a LOT.

Table referencing is what all the gems do, which is why they always update.

A unique item under such a system may look like this:

Kaom's Heart
Mod 1 = 100 (No Sockets)
Mod 2 = 50 (+500 life)
Mod 3 = 63 (Fire damage)
Mod 4 = 50 (not used)
Mod 5 = 50 (not used)

... and so on until Mod 12 = 50 (not used)

Why 12? Room for change if they want to add stuff. They don't have to do anything.

The number is the variable roll exclusive to your particular item.
No sockets is always on, so it doesn't really matter what number it is.
+500 life sits at 50, or half way. If GGG decided that Kaom's should have a range here, then old items would get the middle value upon patch.
The fire damage range is currently 20-40%. How a roll out of 100 translates to a range of 20 can be tackled fairly easily and in a number of ways. The main point is that if they change the values, older items will update to the respective new values. Max to max, min to min and mid to mid.

Table referencing could be applied to all items too, and GGG could alter affixes as they please.

As nice as a system like this would be to alleviate legacy envy and the imbalance it causes Standard, it would be days of down time. And there would probably be things that go wrong along the way.
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
Last edited by Rufus82 on Dec 15, 2014, 5:38:04 AM
Standard is where some people have to play to enjoy the game. Legacies simply make standard worse. Having multiple versions of the same unique is annoying, confusing, and a bit unfair. I wish GGG could have either been more careful with what they released or able to change all of them.

Buy oh well I guess I can be happy that I have these...

Standard Forever
"
Rufus82 wrote:

As nice as a system like this would be to alleviate legacy envy and the imbalance it causes Standard, it would be days of down time. And there would probably be things that go wrong along the way.

Not only that, you will have a bunch of people pissed off because their legacy items are gone. These legacy items are too deeply rooted into the permanent leagues that it will cause even more problems.

You add up what you mentioned + what I mentioned = opening a can of worms

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

You deserve it for not buying stash tab bundles and holding onto every unique you pick up.
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
"
iamstryker wrote:
Standard is where some people have to play to enjoy the game. Legacies simply make standard worse. Having multiple versions of the same unique is annoying, confusing, and a bit unfair. I wish GGG could have either been more careful with what they released or able to change all of them.

Buy oh well I guess I can be happy that I have these...

How is it unfair? You dont know who has legacy items and it does not matter if anyone has any. Why do gamers always think the things others have affect their gameplay experience? I play the game the way i want and not the way anyone else does, same goes for legacy items, they exist solely for purpose of letting people have the item the way they found it. Its like you buy a car and they say they gotta nerf its speed, you wouldnt be happy with that either, right?

With so many items of varying states, this also enhances build diversity!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"

How is it unfair? You dont know who has legacy items and it does not matter if anyone has any.

It not mattering is simply your opinion. If I play a game as a part of a community and other players have items that are impossible for me to find, that obviously puts me at a disadvantage that the other player didn't have.

"

Why do gamers always think the things others have affect their gameplay experience?

It's a matter of perspective. Lets look at an example of a single player game. Your playing it alone so on one hand what others are doing in the same game doesn't affect you at all. But if the developers let certain players have better items or abilities than others then that would seem unfair to players comparing their achievements to other players. Some wouldn't care about the disparity and others would, neither are wrong. But that isn't a perfect comparison because this isn't really a single player game unless you make it one, if you play with other players you would expect to be on the same playing field.

"
I play the game the way i want and not the way anyone else does, same goes for legacy items, they exist solely for purpose of letting people have the item the way they found it.

Didn't help much for CoE or Acuity did it? I personally feel the devs should be consistent one way or the other. I also dislike the clutter of having different variations of the same uniques.

"
Its like you buy a car and they say they gotta nerf its speed, you wouldnt be happy with that either, right?

What makes a good car and what makes a good video game are two different things.

Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Dec 15, 2014, 6:18:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info