increasing amount of legacy items - unsportsmanlike

From a neutral point of view, I think what GGG did in 1.3 was a step in the politically correct direction. Don't change the item, change the way the game interprets the item. That being said, "politically correct" almost never equals "fair", but what can one do? There aren't many options available when dealing with this issue.

They could nerf the drop rates of the incriminating uniques and add an intermediate tier of less powerful uniques on the same base items, the same way the Shav's/Troll mantle combo works... but that would mean adding more uniques to a game that's already chock-full of them.

All in all, I think the best option would be to leave them as they are now and slightly tweak the drop rates and loot tables here and there. I'm sick of merci Piety and Dominus dropping crap low level uniques when they could drop decent mid level rares/uniques instead. And to think long and hard before adding any new uniques.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

"WE'VE BEEN CAREFUL WHEN DESIGNING THE GAME SO THERE'S NO PAYING FOR GAME CONTENT OR ADVANTAGE IN THE GAME", he explained. "WE'VE PURPOSEFULLY DIVORCED ANY GAME MECHANICS FROM THE MONETIZATION."
"
glh5 wrote:
"
WarLover wrote:

GGG provides you a free game and the only income that guys get is from our support.If u dont like it dont play it.And answer me plz do you know any other game with so many different build variations that makes that game not boring at all?If u learned to play that game only for 1 class or specific build that build could get nerfed and the items u used on it so choose another.Tell me how many new builds came up when some items got legacy and some new uniques come up?there is hundrets of builds so stop complain!
Some items become legacy for balance and some new uniques ones came up,some new skills came up and tell me other game with so many skills and new skills coming up in every patch?Guess what? none or maybe very few if i mistaken!

Time and time again I see this stupid argument used.
1. There is "feedback" section on forum for reason. We are allowed to give criticism and it's even encouraged. [Removed by Support]
2. We are customers so if GGG doesn't want to lose us they need to listen to us.

>>2. We are customers so if GGG doesn't want to lose us they need to listen to us.<<

That means you guys are in the minority, that's why GGG is not listening to you. At least for now.

But please don't feel offended, I am neutral on this matter. I have some legacy items, however I rarely use them, mainly because I don't build around items.
"
shoshinsha wrote:
"
glh5 wrote:
"
WarLover wrote:

GGG provides you a free game and the only income that guys get is from our support.If u dont like it dont play it.And answer me plz do you know any other game with so many different build variations that makes that game not boring at all?If u learned to play that game only for 1 class or specific build that build could get nerfed and the items u used on it so choose another.Tell me how many new builds came up when some items got legacy and some new uniques come up?there is hundrets of builds so stop complain!
Some items become legacy for balance and some new uniques ones came up,some new skills came up and tell me other game with so many skills and new skills coming up in every patch?Guess what? none or maybe very few if i mistaken!

Time and time again I see this stupid argument used.
1. There is "feedback" section on forum for reason. We are allowed to give criticism and it's even encouraged. [Removed by Support]
2. We are customers so if GGG doesn't want to lose us they need to listen to us.

>>2. We are customers so if GGG doesn't want to lose us they need to listen to us.<<

That means you guys are in the minority, that's why GGG is not listening to you. At least for now.

But please don't feel offended, I am neutral on this matter. I have some legacy items, however I rarely use them, mainly because I don't build around items.

I lold at the "if they dont want to lose us part", everyone is here for fun, someone is not having fun they can move on, its like hydra said: "cut one head off, 2 shall take its place" aka there are always more players coming in no matter if there are people leaving or staying and most of all, people that whine about legacy items do so because they still play and they will keep playing, its all empty threads.

Now show me that great mass exodus from the legacy items haters, i dare em all!
"

I lold at the "if they dont want to lose us part", everyone is here for fun, someone is not having fun they can move on, its like hydra said: "cut one head off, 2 shall take its place" aka there are always more players coming in no matter if there are people leaving or staying and most of all, people that whine about legacy items do so because they still play and they will keep playing, its all empty threads.

Yes, but without legacies, you might see 3 heads growing back ;-). My only point is about new people being introduced to the game, and not liking that one bit, which is really not needed in the game. Legacy haters? I'd say you are going to extremes. Having OP items is cool, but having a better game with larger community is better. Game-play effect is whole other matter (given that GGG is trying to introduce PvP), but not as important as this one, I think.

Altho, I'll agree that changes for "the masses" aren't needed, since people who like a little bit more of niche character of the game would leave if "the mass politics" would roll in.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com

DirkAustin
Last Visited:
16. Dezember 2014
Total Forum Posts:
15403 (22.42 posts per day)

..i get it now...

“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Dec 16, 2014, 12:29:26 PM
The Legacy items is the only thing which allows to have powerful uniques, most of uniques are nerfed or very weak, so the legacy is an opportunity to access to something powerful which becomes nonexistent in new leagues. For that reason i think Legacy is good, without i would maybe cancel the game already. It is like an Holy Graal you can access if you save enough currency to buy it.
I'm talking just about standard, the others leagues are not concern by this. If you don't want Legacy, play in hardcore or in fresh leagues and don't complain.
"
Perq wrote:
"

Yes, but without legacies, you might see 3 heads growing back ;-). My only point is about new people being introduced to the game, and not liking that one bit, which is really not needed in the game. Legacy haters? I'd say you are going to extremes. Having OP items is cool, but having a better game with larger community is better. Game-play effect is whole other matter (given that GGG is trying to introduce PvP), but not as important as this one, I think.

Altho, I'll agree that changes for "the masses" aren't needed, since people who like a little bit more of niche character of the game would leave if "the mass politics" would roll in.

Think about it logically though, you have a unique with 500 life and one with 1k life. Now even in PVP the difference might be big but so would be the difference if 2 players wear different rares, one with, lets say 50 life and the other with 100 life.

Also, keep in mind that those legacy items go away over time as people use vaal orbs to alter them and some obviously can turn into rares so in the end there wont even be all that many out there. Hell, there was a guy vendoring a legacy shavs, and yes, he streamed it.

I think people turn a mouse into an elephant, big deal, someone else has a different unique than the one i could find, so what, i still have fun with the game because i dont play for others or what they find but for my own little distraction from a shitty life. Thats what games are, escapes from the seriousness of reality yet here people are, bringing something way too serious into a game.

"
robotamen wrote:
"
But if you insist on clinging to those existing characters even though the game has changed and is best played anew, you're implicitly embracing the concept of the legacy character...and must therefore deal with legacy items as well.

I want to play an ARPG for years, i want to play PoE, a long and challenging game with a huge endgame and possibilities, i want to play with my chars and items for months, for years, i want to try tons of builds and options, i want to do a lot of things in this game... and the way to do it is standard. A temp league ends in 3 months, it means i cant play a shavs+mjolner+aegis build becouse im playing PoE since 1.0 and if i must try to get this items by drop in 3 months im really fucked, why should i accept another build?, whats the logical reason?. I must play standard and try to loot & trade for this great items, and then enjoy them in new builds on next months and years, in other characterss and, of course, in other acts against new enemies.

I just want to play standard for this reasons, so your phrase you're implicitly embracing the concept of the legacy character has nonsense. Every new thread about legacies in standard is legit, is not a QQ thread, is just say legacy items destroys a game even if its just inside an optional mode (standard).

People shouldnt just say from their pedant throne ''Standard is a XXXX for XXXX players'' underrating this league and their players, cause PoE is Standard and Temp leagues, so GGG must care about both, not just leave standard for legacies (old players) and RMTrs.

(Sorry for my english)

Agree with this. I like the continuity of playing in standard, even if I play in temp leagues as well. Game like PoE is much about improving your character with better skills and items.

Legacy uniques are one of the things that have kept me in the game for as long as I've been here, with the meta of the game changing so drastically with every major content update I don't think I'd have stuck around knowing that at any point my character could become useless.

This isn't even an issue of old vs new players, because if they got rid of legacy items it'd also signal to the newer players that at any point the build they're working on might get smashed into the ground, it removes a lot of the incentive to go for the higher end items, because by their very nature they're the ones most likely to get nerfed.
"
Alysma wrote:
I can imagine that item management/implementation is one of the things that GGG regets not having done differently with every patch that creates legacies. But it's probably one of the things that are such a core feature of coding that it would be really difficult to change now, at least without major risks of damage. But it sure is something to improve for PoE 2. :-D

If they do ever implement such a feature for 2.0, I think they should leave any primary stat (STR, INT, DEX) boosts alone, so that a character doesn't have to redo their tree if they are dependent on the equipped stats.

However, I hope they don't. I'm not a fan of one type of chocolate, one type of wine, one type of anything world.

Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to playing the unicharacter with unigear using the uniskill.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info