Need build tips for new leagues :3

Hi, I never played challenge leagues much (exept for invasion on which I gave up rather quickly after dying a couple times) and tbh I haven't been very succesful with any character on any league yet , dont have a single 90+ nor have I entered the apex of sacrifice.

Now I wanna try to get serious about Torment and Bloodlines, From my point of view can't help but thinking "there's no way, i have no chance" , specially IDing all those uniques, and cleaning all maps.... but , I know that many players are experienced in doing a lot, in counted hours (forums torture xD) so I'm asking for tips to try and get as many challenges as possible done, should it somehow be posible, all eight of them.

Basically I'd like to know which kind of build would you suggested for a noob-proof end-game succesfull character created from 0 (obviously) , and as well any tips on building a char specifically designed for MF since i've never had one.

Any kind of tips are welcome, thanks.
Last edited by Drkzaleos on Dec 10, 2014, 9:18:48 PM
The best advice for a new league build is to choose something that can get running at good efficiency with minimal gear requirements. Generally, spell-casters are best in this regard because they gain most of their DPS from gem levels rather than items. You can make a melee or bow-based build work, but generally speaking you will be more reliant on finding/buying good items to achieve respectable DPS than a spell-caster would be.

There are many builds that would fit this description and I don't claim to be an expert on all of them. Part of it comes down to what kind of character you like to play. A few decent options are Searing Bond, Flameblast, Arc, any kind of trapper, any kind of totem build, summoner, etc. A good low-gear defense option is Eldritch Battery + Arctic Armour, which you can supplement with Lightning Coil or Cloak of Defiance once you amass some wealth.
A couple of points to add to the above:

-With the introduction of master crafting, weapon based builds have become a lot easier to get rolling on new leagues. I wouldn't be too scared of making them.

-That said, if you want a build that starts strongly on new leagues and can solo MF without good items, I believe a Flame Totem build is the way to go. Flame Totem is arguably the single best standalone skill gem in the game (Searing Bond is better while levelling but falls off a lot harder), and that means that you don't need much gear, which also means you can use MFing uniques without too many problems. I usually suggest this build, but a quick google will show you plenty of other similar ones if you want to shop around.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Dec 10, 2014, 9:45:32 PM
Tyvm, that helps. I always thought searing was stronger than flame totem o_o. I remember i tried once both and by lvl 60+ my searing would do MUCH more damage than flame totem, guess i just wasn't doing it right xD.
The main difference is that with Flame Totem, you can take the Ancestral Bond passive node to double your DPS. You can take the same node with Searing Bond, but the SB burning effect doesn't stack so it won't increase your DPS per target, just allow you to hit more targets at once.
Also, searing bond is probably going to be stronger at lvl 60 than FT unless you are fairly well geared. Searing bond only needs to be linked with burning damage. FT does well in a 4L but really shines in a 5L with added chaos and good passive/gear support. Since gearing is much easier these days, I would sacrafice my chest slot for any 5L to run FT early in the league. FT, casting, pen, GMP (or LMP until GMP), then added chaos. With a totem build you can run all armor gear and 2 or 3 cwdt setups. It is a very solid tanky build for little investment. Of course BM is the way to go for new league, no need auras :D
I'll be running a Ranger Spectral Throw Elemental Crit build on Torment, can solo all content including all 78 maps with crazy mods, Atziri and Uber and relatively cheap to gear.

Will be running this build or something similar: http://imgur.com/mly0Mcj

Not sure if you'll be able to see what's what but if you've seen the new skill tree you'll get the jist of it.

Helm: Alpha's Howl
Chest: Belly Of The Beast

Those are the 2 main and probably hardest/expensive pieces in the build.
Guess i'll be trying both totems and ST, since ill need 3 85s anyway. Thanks for tips!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info