Tips Flame Spears?

So, as I've recently asked here, but received no answer to, what would be the best option for incinerating ice spears?

"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
So, I've decided a while ago I'd try out a Flame witch using Ice Spear.
I didn't really think it over like I usually do, until I decided on a whim to test the concept in the race.
Now I'm puzzled which way to get that fire damage.
So far using Cold to Fire, but it's a smidge underwhelming.

Should I just accept that I neither really burn, nor really freeze (and not burn at all if I shatter), and keep it at that?
Should I take up Pyre, thus weakening the Elemental Proliferation I was counting on to make the build viable from midgame?
Or I could use Three Dragons, in turn forfeiting the neat damage multiplier from Cold to Fire.
And as the last option I currently see, Avatar of Fire, which means maximum fire damage, but also means forgoing shocking to increase the burn.

Or is the whole Idea stupid, and I should use a lightning spell instead? 0.o
Planned Build
I've seen several approaches as sort-of guides already, though I don't expect to ever get a build above level 70, if at all.
Should it happen, I wouldn't complain.

The upcoming changes to the templar side would obviously allow a few extra options; namely, 30% increased damage on burning targets even without lightning damage. That's looking downright attractive.
Potential tree including that: Tree
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Dec 10, 2014, 6:09:03 PM
You don't need Pyre, AoF+Cold to Fire is a fine source of 100% conversion. Pyre can work but it's a bit tricky with Prolif and you don't get the damage increase from CtF.

I'm running this right now, the average crit burns for 50k total damage with a prolif. The initial hit isn't huge so I don't have to worry about reflect. Crit Damage, Fire Damage and Burning Damage to scale the burn so it does something like 110% of the initial hit/second.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
Last edited by SilentOppressor on Dec 10, 2014, 7:16:04 PM
Thanks for the Answer!
The reason I considered Pyre (With all it's drawbacks) is that it would still allow Herald of Lightning to add shock for extra burn damage.
But with that juicy Templar Cluster, it's not even a choice anymore.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
I was running a crit burn prolif Ice Spear build up to lvl 82 or so, can share the details if you are interested.
On crit Ice Spaer damage (not dps) was about 7-9k. I had 100% chance to pierce and could fire through huge reflect packs without dying, but most of the time just sniping the rare was better.
Dual curse + EE from CoH ball lightning or Arc.

New tree definitely brings more damage, but what really worries me is that block was gutted, and my char relied on it for survivability with Laz+Raibbow+Rathpith...
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Dec 11, 2014, 7:46:19 AM
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
The upcoming changes to the templar side would obviously allow a few extra options; namely, 30% increased damage on burning targets even without lightning damage. That's looking downright attractive.

There is a massive difference between Increased Damage and Increased Damage Taken. The new node works akin to The Taming, ie. grants you Increased Damage when you're punching things that are on fire, additive with all other sources of Increased Damage. Shock is a defender-side multiplier, which means it stacks multiplicatively with everything you have.
Ah, crap, I misread that.
Well, that makes it balanced, I guess.
Guess I need something to apply shock, then. Somehow.
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info