Block nodes in recently put out passive tree (1.3) (For Witch)

I understand GGG why you put the block nodes further away from witch as it was too op and easy to get max block, and now you must sacrifice some damage to get to those nodes. However, most of the block nodes now include physical damage in going along to get 3% block nodes. This makes it stupid to go block on any kind of spell caster (arc, spark, incin, etc.). I understand block was op, but there should be some diversity in getting spell damage or elemental damage with block (or just more block chance) so spell casting is boosted as well and not just physical damage. It is also interesting to note that there's seems to be no elemental damage leech or spell leech in the tree, while there is tons of physical life leech. I understand melee is a bit underpowered without being funded, but buffing melee nodes and creating more diverse builds would be a better solution than nerfing the builds that already work now (not including block, that was op, keep the nodes further away but with more diversity in what the nodes give you).
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The clusters closest to Witch have no melee damage but shield defences instead, which is really nice for any CI or EB character. It's obvious the devs don't want to give non-melee easy (or any) access to max block anymore.

Going to only the clusters of nodes that have block and non-physical dmg boosts and using the least amount of skill points gives 19% block and use 58 nodes, which is definitely not enough for any character to be viable (using rathpith (30%) and TS (4%) that's 53%). If you want more block, you need to go out of your way to the other nodes which include melee boosts (useless to casters) and are much further away. I'm fine with making the distance longer so my other skill points can't go into elemental damage and I get to make the decision of investing into more block (because it's a fair trade off, more def = less dmg), but I don't like using my skill points for useless physical dmg when I just want the block. Like I said, I understand they don't want to give non-melee easy block but that doesn't mean building full block characters should become nonviable, with the trade off of some dmg.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/998791/page/58 = KuteKitty's viewpoint.
Last edited by Chaosformula on Dec 8, 2014, 11:31:21 PM
An Arc Witch is a ranged spellcaster, let's compare it with another ranged archetype, the bow Ranger: she gets no block but gets Acrobatics instead as a second line of defense. With uniques you can get 40-50% of dodge and spell dodge, and there is no way at all to get 75/75. This is in the ballpark with your numbers for block and it seems to be enough. I really don't see the issue here, people will need to rethink their defences to make them less centered around max block and utilize shield defences a bit more.

Archers go tornado shot (which hasn't been nerfed and is still ridiculous op), puncture which does DOT meaning you can crit then move instead of witches that stand still to do constant dps with spell cast and archers also use the broken crit mechanic (which has also been nerfed). They have nerfed DIVERSITY. The fact they nerfed the base block of all shield in the game and EB including energy shield builds, witches are back to getting one shot by monsters because armor is trash, and not enough damage + leech is provided unless you're super rich with legacy items. Sure you can roll over and over for perfect items, but that's for end game when you aren't getting one shot and can effectively farm high level maps without a boss killing you because you can't tank anymore (when your build is centered around tanking). Why have the cap at 75 if you can't even reach it without using all your nodes and have zero damage so you're practically fighting against Destiny bosses? Evasion is also calculated differently from block - "Evasion is not purely based on chance in the sense that each hit is independent. Instead, it uses a system of "entropy" to ensure that enemies won't get long strings of hits or misses by chance." Being a much stronger form of sustained dodge chance then a flat one like block.
The big reason I play Path of Exile instead of Diablo 3 is because of build diversity. It allows for crazy shit like one shot glass cannons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzEKCd1pg4&list=PLt5SL2R19SuLFX61HjO-6jJw-iy42tFOR), and back then, really fast attacking dual strike builds that can life leech instead of having to rely on defense. Are such things op and should they be balanced? Hell yes. But does that mean they should become unviable? No, it should just take enough investment to make it balanced instead (which here block witch is not anymore). Is it super fun to invest a good amount of your time to build such a character? Yes. Is it fun to have to use bots, grind for a lifeless amount of hours, or use real money currency to pay bots for in game currency to pay for your build? No. Grinding Gear Games. It's grindy enough. If you want to become a God, then the grinding way is right for you, but it shouldn't be just to play the game and stay alive.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info