Can we have a REAL HARDCORE option.

As mentioned, I don't play HC, and admittedly my opinion carries little weight. Maybe by cutting my teeth on UO has made me feel that games since then have felt a little care-bear-ish.

Those days were the wild wild west of gaming. I threw up when I was run down by a pack of mounted crossbow mages when I was stupid enough to have my house key on me. 6 months of work down the tubes. I've never had such strong emotions from a game since, and I'm not sure I'd ever want to again. I'm an old man, just let me mash some buttons and pick up loot.

I remember the disappointment on the day I moved from UO to Everquest and discovered I couldn't kill players and take all their gear.
agree 100% OP and remove portals if enemy near. HC now just means who can hit their AHK best.
Git R Dun!
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:
I remember the disappointment on the day I moved from UO to Everquest and discovered I couldn't kill players and take all their gear.

To be fair, the "Wild West" era didn't last long in UO, either. Yes, initially the game provided unlimited freedom, which a handful of people abused for the purpose of harassing the stuff out of the majority of players. I vividly recall being unable to play in the evenings because packs of PKs swept the dungeons, and whenever I wanted to do something fun, I could really only do it at 5am, and I couldn't really bring many reagents, either. Admittedly, it was fun to put down trapped chests near Crossroads, watch curious cats open them -- and "spasm uncontrollably" to their death. At least they had a choice! I also loved having a pet dragon that got stronger as it lived with me.

But even back then most people didn't enjoy getting bullied, and so two years in (or was it less?) we saw Trammel, the "care bear" version of the world -- and within weeks, the "everything goes" side became a desert. I welcomed it, because I could finally build a house on Maginica beach, after a full night of camping the spot. It made it pretty clear what gamers, as a whole want, and what they don't want. Playing HC, which is a choice, is fundamentally different from getting killed and looted by a group of people that you have no chance against.

I will always recall UO fondly. I actually moved to the Siege Perilous shard eventually, which was as hardcore and free as the game could be, though the appeal was really living like a hermit in the early middle ages, game-wise. :) I was already in my mid-late twenties back then, which I guess makes me miss the game and the experience so much more. The lost youth!

There will unfortunately never be a game like UO again. Even with the same rules, time, expectations and behaviors have changed. Let's be glad we were part of a time when online gaming was full of discoveries and wonders. So much adventure in virtual space that had been largely unexplored yet. We were pioneers on the leading edge. ;)

And now we are jaded old grumps, but hey!
I didn't play UO, but I spent a fair amount of time and fun in DAOC on the FFA server. I guess the difference was that when I got tired of fighting for my life, I could always go back to the normal servers and ZERG!!!!

hehe I sure had fun in that game. Left it for wow. Biggest mmo mistake I ever made.
Pretty funny that you say all the streamers just log, yet all the ones I watch log only in the worst situation where there is no other option. Sure there are those that log at a fucking rock tipping over, but that doesn't mean everyone plays that way. The devs stated the game was designed in a way where really crappy situations could arise against the players control and for that they left the logout instant. If you don't like it toughen up and get over it the games free.
XBOX-----------------
Kitava Supporter
Dominator Supporter
1st Lvl 100: Incursion League
1st SSF UE, UA, and Shaper: Delve League
I'm using log out script since i have started to play HC leagues,but i lost all my characters except one who is still alive.Maybe i'm just bad at using it.LOL.
What makes PoE 'hardcore mode' a bad joke, is not logouts (desync is not a fair gameplay 'feature'), it's not instant TP (since combat damage is spikey) and it's not the fact that you can keep the character in Std (kinda buying the official reason stated for this).

What makes PoE 'hardcore mode' a bad joke, is:

1.) The fact that you are able and officially allowed to sell the gear you ripped, to fund another HC char.
2.) The fact that you can legally cross-trade into a HC league, which in theory means you can easily buy your way into HC by playing SC. Which is completely retarded and goes against everything a supposedly 'hardcore' game should be about.
3.) The fact that with FM, you can now complete the HC challenge, by playing SC! What a joke, lol...

Not even evil and casual Blizzard, would shit so much on an established ARPG gaming mode, for the sake to shove even more economy into the game. HC mode in PoE is designed for pretend players, though there are also many real hardcore players who dont take advantage of these (lame & casual) mechanics.

------------

What should be done to rectify this, is:

1.) All gear that is ripped becomes account bound
2.) Cross trading from SC into HC is officialy not allowed
3.) You cant complete HC challenge in SC league
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Dec 11, 2014, 6:17:04 PM
"
morbo wrote:
What makes PoE 'hardcore mode' a bad joke, is not logouts (desync is not a fair gameplay 'feature'), it's not instant TP (since combat damage is spikey) and it's not the fact that you can keep the character in Std (kinda buying the official reason stated for this).

What makes PoE 'hardcore mode' a bad joke, is:

1.) The fact that you are able and officially allowed to sell the gear you ripped, to fund another HC char.
2.) The fact that you can legally cross-trade into a HC league, which in theory means you can easily buy your way into HC by playing SC. Which is completely retarded and goes against everything a supposedly 'hardcore' game should be about.
3.) The fact that with FM, you can now complete the HC challenge, by playing SC! What a joke, lol...

Not even evil and casual Blizzard, would shit so much on an established ARPG gaming mode, for the sake to shove even more economy into the game. HC mode in PoE is designed for pretend players, though there are also many real hardcore players who dont take advantage of these (lame & casual) mechanics.

------------

What should be done to rectify this, is:

1.) All gear that is ripped becomes account bound
2.) Cross trading from SC into HC is officialy not allowed
3.) You cant complete HC challenge in SC league

Most players who play HC actually play temporary HC leagues and in temporary leagues cross leaugue trading is not allowed,it's bannable.
I completly agree with you about your's third fact,ggg need to make HC set of challenges that can be done only by playing HC,without forcing HC players into playing SC.

Edit: I thought that temp leauges cross trading is not allowed,but i was wrong,i completly agree with all your's 3 facts.
Last edited by And1111 on Dec 11, 2014, 8:04:59 PM
"
And1111 wrote:
Most players who play HC actually play temporary HC leagues and in temporary leagues cross leaugue trading is not allowed,it's bannable.
I completly agree with you about your's third fact,ggg need to make HC set of challenges that can be done only by playing HC,without forcing HC players into playing SC.

Actually, it is allowed, between temp leagues.

And pretty much not policed in anything outside that any way.
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
And1111 wrote:

Actually, it is allowed, between temp leagues.

And pretty much not policed in anything outside that any way.

Yeah,i was wrong about it,you can actually cross league trade between temp leagues lol.
In that case,i completly agree with Morbo's post,HC in this game is a joke lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info