Can we have a REAL HARDCORE option.

TBH there is no real point for me to play "hardcore". Desyncs, freezes, alt+f4.

For me, there is no big difference in playing it over Standard - it is just a league, when you have to pay attention to desyncs, and launch your macro in time, when it happens. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to do that : - V.

If people feel good about playing hardcore, where they can just quit a bad situation (they could have been able predict) with a macro, I'd say let them, tho.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I think it's a misconception that AHK will prevent every death and somehow make you invulnerable. AHK or alt+F4 won't help you if there is a major lag spike, because the character will still be in the game. In case of desync, it may or may not save you, because you may already be dead. You still have to react. (There are or were cheats that auto-logged you out when low on health, but those are bannable anyway.)

In softcore, people use the same macros and methods when they are at a high level. I only leveled to 90, but even that was a drag and the idea of losing 10% XP was very scary. I can't imagine what it would be like at 95-99 when a death may set you back a long time (and many maps).

Looking at the times when my characters died, SC or HC, it was always in situations that I could either have prevented by playing better (and AHK wouldn't have helped, e.g. rushing around, not paying attention, pulling too much, underestimating reflect, neglecting resists, being underleveled, etc.) - or they were unavoidable, like disconnects, server-side lag spikes, etc.

Then again, I sometimes read that people have 100 or 500 deaths on their characters, and that blows my mind. I definitely play differently, even in softcore.

I'll say that I found HC in D2 more fun because after some fixes (like the infamous FE champions) it was fairly balanced. PoE has quite a bit of OHKs and mechanics that you must know in advance and that offer zero wiggle room. Damage is sometimes unpredictable and you just die unless you're overcapped, overleveled, and have unreasonably high HP.

What I like about the HC is the adrenaline rush. It's somehow more meaningful, but I did play a lot of softcore and don't really have any goals like the L90 achievement left. Atziri, yes, but that has no real pull. It's all good, though, PoE offers a lot of choice to play the game in ways that people individually enjoy.
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, HC league should be permanent loss of character and equipment upon death.
Getting to keep your character and stuff isn't all that "hardcore" imo.

LoL "isn't all that hardcore imo" first of all you are an emo...

secondly DO you lose your character, his equipment and inventory from HC league YES or NO?

think before you answer please emo.
Beta Member Since 2010
"
Kalidor wrote:
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, HC league should be permanent loss of character and equipment upon death.

I feel deeply disgusted by this post, and I'm not even its target.
where's the "report" button?

I bet you feel really proud of yourself, anonymously insulting and bullying someone you don't even know, online.
you fucking shouldn't.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Dec 10, 2014, 2:53:53 PM
well this is the truth .. sorry for being saulty!

are you his lawyer btw?
Beta Member Since 2010
I don't use any macros but I have logged before. Most common is to save a portal scroll after dead end quest like medicine chest when on a new char/league. I have logged in fear before but it is due to being in a fight that it looks like I can't win (jungle valley boss or something). I could tp but if I fumble the cast I may die so logging is certainly safer. I don't remember ever logging where it really saved my char. And dieing is not uncommon for me. Reaching end game 80+ is not uncommon either. So I wouldn't say logging is how people survive in HC.
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

As an alt-f4 exclusive... er, HC exclusive player I would agree. But, by the same token, if a character of mine dies it is never played again. I have no interest in SC gameplay. My Standard chars are just name holders really. If anyone wants free standard gear let me know. Mostly self found but i have a summoner, flameblaster, and 2h stunner fully geared. 500 pd mace, I imagine it is usable in SC.
"
Kalidor wrote:
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

secondly DO you lose your character, his equipment and inventory from HC league YES or NO?

From the wiki:

"Hardcore: Characters who die are moved to the Standard league."

You do not lose your character or gear. You get moved. If you choose to not play standard then that's your choice but your investment isn't lost.

You are entitled to your opinion about my opinion, however you I do not believe you understand my meaning.
There were games (or perhaps still are, I don't know) where when you die, that's it. You're done. Many people who play HC variants do so because of the added thrill of the penalty involved. Personally, I no longer find it thrilling to lose the time I have invested, so I no longer play games of this nature.
One of the first online games I played was Ulitma Online, in its original state. When you got killed you were almost certainly robbed of all your possessions, if that included, say a house key, you could lose months and months of hard earned stuff. It was a gut wrenching, visceral experience that games designers over the years have moved away from. A lot of players weren't interested in that much loss. It's just my insignificant opinion that death without a lot of loss isn't terribly thrilling.

So pardon me while I go dye my hair black.
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

You do not lose your character or gear. You get moved. If you choose to not play standard then that's your choice but your investment isn't lost..

Yes and by this logic, when you dog dies, you really didn’t “lose” it because you can still keep the corpse right?

"
DTD_Hiro wrote:
One of the first online games I played was Ulitma Online, in its original state. When you got killed you were almost certainly robbed of all your possessions, if that included, say a house key .

This. exact. thing. happened to me! The thing is, if you got back to your house you could make a new key - so no problem... Unless you kept your key next to a marked rune to your house location! (like I did) I learned this the hard way, they were able to rob my house but luckily trapped and locked chests slowed them down (I loved tinkering just for the bombs) and they didn’t get everything. Those were some crazy times indeed, some people did lose their houses back then. I played Chesapeake shard from release day till Siege Perilous started.
"
DTD_Hiro wrote:

From the wiki:

You do not lose your character or gear. You get moved. If you choose to not play standard then that's your choice but your investment isn't lost.

You are entitled to your opinion about my opinion, however you I do not believe you understand my meaning.
There were games (or perhaps still are, I don't know) where when you die, that's it. You're done. Many people who play HC variants do so because of the added thrill of the penalty involved. Personally, I no longer find it thrilling to lose the time I have invested, so I no longer play games of this nature.
One of the first online games I played was Ulitma Online, in its original state. When you got killed you were almost certainly robbed of all your possessions, if that included, say a house key, you could lose months and months of hard earned stuff. It was a gut wrenching, visceral experience that games designers over the years have moved away from. A lot of players weren't interested in that much loss. It's just my insignificant opinion that death without a lot of loss isn't terribly thrilling.

So pardon me while I go dye my hair black.

Losing a character or moving the character to other league its the same thing to me and mostly to all players who play in HC. Its the exact same feeling so i don't care what wiki says.

You cant go back to that league like in No-fucking-Way and you can't revive that char if it was a "perma" death.

So if it was in a void league would be better and more "perma" dead?

yeah i know about ultima.. i really really loved those days :)
Beta Member Since 2010

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info