HP bars don't convey much meaning

I'm not refering to the player's HP bar(orb) but that of enemies you find.

Currently I can fight a spitter or gneiss and if all you did was look at their HP bar it would be pretty impossible to tell how much they had. This needs to change IMO the standpoint of communicating things to the player visually this is a big hole the game has so far.

solutions?

1.cut up HP bars into increments of 25 that are broken by small black or white bars. This would let you see at a glance how much HP someone has just by seeing the distance between the tiny bars separating 25 or so increments.

2. visually show on the HP bar the exact health number over the maximum health. Quite plain but effective, and would maintain the smooth single red bar of the health currently seen in game. The numbers may have to be smaller and below the creatures name, or else the creature's name may have to be relocated.

BUT WHAT ABOUT ES YOU SCRUB?

Q_Q I didn't think about that!

Sort of. Its hard honestly for me to think of a great idea, I can only offer acceptable ideas.

1.similar to my previous #1, have translucent blue bars that allow the HP to be seen, yet for the ES to be easily seen as well. Then have the ES separated into increments.

2.Have the ES bar and HP bar share the same space based on what percent of total life/ES they would share. so 30ES and 70HP is %30 of the bar is ES and %70 HP bar. Then simply make the ES blue and the HP red.

3.Similar to my #2 on HP, just have the HP and/or ES displayed numerically over the max possible.

Anyone else have other ideas? I really don't like seeing and adjusting to new enemies of various rarities and types. It can be hard to adjust and know just what to do on the fly at times and this would certainly help. It would really help on those huge HP enemies who, although they seem close to death may have several hundred HP left. Currently making choices with these sorts of enemies can be life or death(I'm looking at you end act bosses).
Alma 48:17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I would appreciate an option to show a small healthbar for each enemy ( without the need to hover them with the mouse ).
So you can see which enemies in the growd have low health.
Add options so ppl can chose if they want HP bars always or only on bosses or only when opponent low hp.
Boss minions should be bigger and easier to distinguish! When u Have minions or u are in party, ppl tend to ignore bosses cause they simply don't see them in all the fireworks and overall action.
IGN: Lodowka_BezChleba - hardcore essence
"The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making excuses, that's the day you start your move to the top."
hmmmm interesting idea, but then you wouldn't even know the HP of the majority of monsters, I think that is actually a step backward.
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
Well, if there is rare mob or a boss the game could just show their healtbar as long as you don't hover another enemy, so you imidiately see there's a big boy.
However if you hover another enemy his healthbar is shown just like it is now.
"
grasmann wrote:
Well, if there is rare mob or a boss the game could just show their healtbar as long as you don't hover another enemy, so you imidiately see there's a big boy.
However if you hover another enemy his healthbar is shown just like it is now.

Well if you did ONLY what you suggest the problem still remains. The helath bars don't convey much meaning at all right now. Its not about being able to identify a big boss monster, that is a different topic, I'm talking about health bars and showing how much HP/ES an enemy has and letting the player see that when hovering over the enemy with the mouse pointer.
Why does the HP bar need to display this extra information?
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Why does the HP bar need to display this extra information?
I explained it already in the OP....
I was giving you a chance to clarify what you mean, and you imply that I didn't even read your post. Thanks for your cheer.

"
Moroni wrote:

Currently I can fight a spitter or gneiss and if all you did was look at their HP bar it would be pretty impossible to tell how much they had. This needs to change IMO the standpoint of communicating things to the player visually this is a big hole the game has so far.

solutions?

This is what you said. If you think this explains everything about your stance of why HP bars need to display more information then you are either asking for a useless feature, or bad at writing.

Q: How much does health does a creature have?
A: Hit any creature in the zone one time and extrapolate. Everything else has about the same health. If it takes 4 hits to kill something what difference does it make if those 4 hits are equal to 1 million HP or 100 HP? It's 4 hits either way. The ratio is all that matters.

Maybe now you will clarify why this feature would be needed?
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
I was giving you a chance to clarify what you mean, and you imply that I didn't even read your post. Thanks for your cheer.

"
Moroni wrote:

solutions?

This is what you said. If you think this explains everything about your stance of why HP bars need to display more information then you are either asking for a useless feature, or bad at writing.

Q: How much does health does a creature have?
A: Hit any creature in the zone one time and extrapolate. Everything else has about the same health. If it takes 4 hits to kill something what difference does it make if those 4 hits are equal to 1 million HP or 100 HP? It's 4 hits either way. The ratio is all that matters.

Maybe now you will clarify why this feature would be needed?
I will attempt to clarify why I believe this would be a good addition to the game. You make a perfectly valid point. That is indeed how I and everyone indeed would gauge the HP of an enemy. It works in many cases, but not ALL cases is this going to work.

Consider fighting enemies in small groups, as they spawn normally, these situations allow for easy assessment, as you will attack to kill the enemy, and see how long it takes. There is often no reason to do anything but focus one at a time so you kill the first then kite and kill, knowing how long to stay in to finish an enemy or make a combo. Like you said, its fine and it works.

However lets consider some less comfortable situations.

1.Coming across magic, rare or unique monsters. These are difficult to gauge as they are entirely different from their normal counterparts, depending on what mods they have, it will take a few hits to see how much extended health they have. Depending on those mods, health, health regen, ES and resistances that aren't on the normal mobs will make for a new adaptation every time.

2.Varied mob types often appear the same, but may have different health. The ledge comes to mind, with ranged and melee skeletons that are varied can pose an issue. They look very similar and there are often lots of them. In the fray, a player may mistake one type of creature for another, and take too long and realize they were unable to do what they expected. This is especially true if you expect a normal monster and are indeed attacking a rare one.

3.Again in a large fight there will be a lot of targets. I find that, although I know the HP of enemies, it can be hard to tell quickly the remaining health of what enemy I have in range to attack in a frenzy. Sure I may see what % is left on that particular monster's HP, but I may also not have time to see what exact enemy it is I am hovering over. However with some way to tell the health ON the HP bar, I won't have to make the visual connection and deduce how many more hits I need to make. It would be very helpful in this situation more than the other reasons.

Let me reiterate, this is not a need, the game is fine without it. I find in many games players tend to get defensive when a new idea is proposed, I hope you don't critique my reasoning because of that, but it seems you have been genuine with me. I hope I helped clarify.

I simply feel that the average player, like myself, would benefit from this if it were to be added at some point before final release. Its not high priority, but from a standpoint of better communication to the player, this, I think is a vital step to take. Consider the recent change of gem shapes. Was it needed? Not really, but doing so allows a player to better distinguish between gem types and is a great asset to color blind players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info