Burning Arrow/Avatar of Fire Scion -- needs your feedback!

Hi guys, I came up with an idea for a Burning Arrow bow build using Herald of Ash to ignite and Avatar of Fire for pure damage. It would be an Evasion/ES character with Eldritch Battery/Clarity and Mind over Matter for mitigation.

Very new at theory crafting so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Keys to this build, I would think, are:

1. Burning Arrow has high damage due to 130% of base damage buff, plus it can ignite
2. Burning damage nodes will be picked up, benefiting BA ignite
3. Herald of Ash = more ignite and burning damage
4. Crits will help increase damage, create more HoA overkill and more ignite
5. Avatar of Fire will convert 50% of phys and 50% of all elemental damage to fire, increasing damage
6. Defensively, get Evasion/ES gear, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Ondar's Guile, then Mind over Matter if there is enough mana to justify it
7. Run Eldritch Battery/Clarity/Discipline to sustain attacks since AoF means no leech

Regarding #7, going Blood Magic or adding a Life Leech support gem are alternatives, but I dislike both.

Here is the Scion-based passive tree I've come up with to represent a level 75ish build.

Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAgwlgQ249A5Y7KErIWlKomptd8pfBxX_GHNyTJ7QMRnHbC4IeiEKMNlBCLUcmlWHiVUsWvwYjH0EDHrVIcFIqC_Pqbqo1krXy2L2boffXrJgRD0wtFLCnCI9GcXkXHBJpna7kIhps7DgpT5BVp4QaOGaewBqvjejW53RtbNQjBbU6Qkt43agwcdaKfyswfFFHjb_KqV1omvEIiZUFOdR31zH6dvegnxjbFHVW-oUydPHBM4bOIXZbr7l8jAvssDY9

Skills:

1. Main Attack: Burning Arrow, LMP, Fork, Fire Penetration (for 6L, add Increased Critical Damage, Weapon Elemental Damage)

2. Single Target: Burning Arrow, Faster Attacks, Fire Penetration, Weapon Elemental Damage (for 6L, add Increased Critical Damage, Item Rarity for farming)

3. Auras: Anger, Purity of Fire, Clarity, Reduced Mana (possibly replace Anger with Discipline; not sure if this will work out since Scion won't have as much Int as a Witch)

4. Mitigation: CwDT, Enduring Cry, Molten Shell, Enfeeble (reduce accuracy helps Evasion)

5. Curse: Flammability or Projectile Weakness

6. Totem Support: Flame Totem + Blind, or Spell Totem + Skeletons + Blind (again to help Evasion)

This sounds good to me in theory, I would be concerned about whether there is enough mana to make the build work, and MoM may not be useful without enough mana.

Also I am a little fuzzy on how to maximize damage with Avatar of Fire, or whether you can avoid AoF and equip a Blackgleam Quiver instead (or is there a benefit to using both). Finally I just think this build may be trying to combine too many ideas, and would be spread too thin (Dex + Int, Crit + AoF, Eldritch + Acrobatics) to be effective.

Am I off my rocker? Or could this work? I'm thinking about doing it for the new softcore league.
Last edited by TakenNotGranted on Dec 3, 2014, 4:11:30 PM
I was thinking about something like this today.
Main reason I like it is cause of the 130% base on burning arrow and bow's high dps.

I would run the links

Aoe

BurnArrow-LMP-Chain-Wed-CritDmg-AddedFire

Single

BurnArrow-Wed-AddedFire- FasterAttacks

Aura's would be

Anger - Herald Ash - Purity Fire

Low lvl Arctic Armor to help with reflect

I have no clue about passive tree but I would never touch avatar of fire

You would have most of the normal bow nodes but also some of the fire / ele nodes in shadow
I might even dip into the witch area for those fire nodes but I'd have to cut a ton of phys bow nodes so it'll probably not be worth it.

- I don't really see this being better then tornado shot but if tornado shot got nerfed I might try this -
Last edited by CalamityAOE on Dec 3, 2014, 5:44:23 PM
If we don't use Avatar of Fire, we'd get more damage, or less? That is what I struggle with, since I don't fully understand AoF mechanics. My understanding is it would supposedly increase damage since it converts physical and all the incidental elemental damage you get on rings, amulets, bows, and quivers.
can i get a what what?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info