Regret Orbs

What if Regret Orbs were just as common/rare as Chance Orbs?

Can we post our opinions on this subject? I have a few friends that I really enjoy playing games with, both have played PoE, and both have quit playing after pretty much making one character (they do try it every once in a while when there are free respecs). I play quite a bit and I don't really see how this would hurt the game, if anything it would get more people to play.

steam conversation that brought this idea up
friend: i think if I could re-spec, even if it cost something to do, I'd play more
me: like what cost
friend: i dunno, like orbs or whatever
me: because you can do that, its called regret orbs they are kinda rare tho
me: like you could do it
friend: yeah, just make regret orbs more common
me: i agree they should
me: it would make a lot more people play
friend: would be more fun to experiment like that than to have to basically start from scratch every time

Hopefully we can get some open-minded discussion going.

How would this affect the game negatively?
Would this be more inviting for new players?
Could this be abused at higher levels?
Is there a middle ground to make it easier to respec but at the same time prevent abuse?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I don't think respeccing should be too cheap. You are meant to consider your build choices carefully. I think the current rarity of the regret orb is a good compromise.

If you hate trading, there is also a vendor recipe which costs 2 orbs of scouring. These are anyway not terribly useful if you don't trade...
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
treffnix wrote:
You are meant to consider your build choices carefully.

Here's my thought on this: An experienced player will choose correctly, an inexperienced player will make the wrong choices.

Should it really be about making "careful choices" when in the long run the choices will discourage continual play?

At some point in your PoE career, the rarity/price of regrets stops to be so frightening.

You're simply wealthy enough now that you can eat them at will, use 20 of them to respec bandits etc. Probably still not wealthy enough for a full respec of your Lvl 90 toon on a daily basis, but you can adjust some points in your skilltree and test different ideas.

At the moment, they are a bit too rare, imho.

But they shouldn't be too common, as planning ahead is a big part of PoE gameplay experience.
If you want to play a completly different skilltree, wait for a free respec or level a new toon.

I'd maybe adjust the vendor recipe from 1:2 scour to 1:1.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Nov 28, 2014, 4:09:21 AM
"
illectrik wrote:
Here's my thought on this: An experienced player will choose correctly, an inexperienced player will make the wrong choices.

Nope, it can also be the other way round, example:

Foxtactics used hundreds of regrets till he found his perfect arc build, before and after the buff. Players with less experience just copied his result.
Last edited by Sa_Re on Nov 28, 2014, 6:35:11 AM
But is there something wrong with being able to do that? :D
I'm not a big fan of the idea.

Regret orbs are not so usefull. I probably found 10 or 20 times more of that orb than I used, even if I did 5 different characters. End game you can drop 3 or 4 per hour, and you respec what 10 talents a week at worse?
I they become super common, there will be too much of them and nobody will need or buy them.
I don't like to have useless currencies in my stash, like glassblowers.

I don't mind them getting more common if they become usefull for something else. Like an added vendor recipe or something.
I think a vendor recipe would be nice.
You can always make a new character. just sayin'...
"What's do you what?" - Kira of the Maraketh
"
illectrik wrote:
"
treffnix wrote:
You are meant to consider your build choices carefully.

Should it really be about making "careful choices" when in the long run the choices will discourage continual play?

And that's how it should be. Experienced players that have played the game, as that is the only way to get the actual experience, will know what to do, when to do it, and will be prepared to do it. Noobs will not have any of that, will make decisions that aren't optimal, and will suffer from those decisions. They will either become experienced players and continue playing the game or will leave the game because they don't care to learn to adapt.

The "careful choices" aren't going to discourage continual play, it's going to discourage players that don't want to expend the effort to make the game work. These players go to games like Diablo III, where decisions mean nothing and can be altered, at no cost, to what they need or want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info