Is sword+ shield dps build viable for end game ?

I see a lot of dagger crit builds and many very high dps builds with shadow like flicker that use a shield too but i was wondering if you could do the same as a marauder and with a sword and still be viable at end game ?

Thanks in advance :)
It is very much viable to do endgame with a sword lol.

You can even go crit and oneshot entire screens with reave like the dagger builds. Of course, dagger week give you more dps but when you oneshot everything more dps doesn't matter.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Ty :)

Also what about defence ? i notice shadow builds built around dps go for high energy shield so they can survive well but thats harder for a marauder. If i go for mainly offence nodes wont i die too easy ?

Sry for the questions im still kinda new to this game.
For defence we get lots of block and spell block. If needed we can even get dodge and spell dodge. Also get a lot of life(5-7k).
Note that a single point of life is worth more in terms of survivability than a single point of ES. Rest assured, the tankiest builds in the game are marauders and duelists.

This is a buff
Ty for your helpful info :)

One last thing i have an issue with is life though. Atm i have just over 4k with many life nodes and at 12k dmg at lvl 77. I have no crit though so when we get a respec i will exchange some life nodes for accuracy and crit chance for way more dps but my life is only 4k now so it might go down to 3k or less :/ i can get better items i guess but i dont understand how soem builds get it all lol

I seen a guy with 11k energy sheild and over 200k dps, seems impossible to me xD
11k ES and 200k dps comes when you have infinite exalts bro. Also, I can only help you out specifically if you post your gear and tree :P.

This is a buff
The beauty of sword/shield is flexibility.
You can take nodes all over the skilltree, you can focus on damage or defense, however you choose.

Here's a quite offensive tree, but still with max block: click me
(outdated in a couple weeks, but you hopefully get the idea)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Thanks again :))

Ok so far this is the build i have made, i have spent a lot of time changing it around but im sure it could still be hugly improved:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIv8wagtPuq5FHnrpB0i09nm5tqKCqX_jwtTP-vbOnVDPdeH8WK8B8EswJxFE2DOO98ogC0-cT2J-3EFfxLbBaHGayq8lqvohDwErxyqXzZxq4cpwxfU6W3Pv4K2L01krXybqpKyKlueA1sRnJsMglYrzboRmmHKWSjGlV5wAY57tncHWEhhO907XrvYEsFLZuDU99Y24TZrK9uacS41fi-p14TG8j7_PVGYxc6Ug48QqMnC4O2FHEDxgYOY_0J9mVNFFJHfr2BmSufyw==

And here is my gear:

Also why do most people say reave is the best melee skill please ? i have used it and it didnt out dps my molten strike so im not sure.
Last edited by Crixus8000 on Nov 28, 2014, 10:53:01 AM
Because of concentrated effect. 69% more damage is nothing to laugh about.

Reave
+multistrike
+added fire / crit damage (when built for it)
+concentrated effect
(+faster attacks
+melee damage)

...will probably give you a higher tooltip DpS.
Not saying it is better (projectile damage vs natural AoE of Reave), but the number in your char sheet could rise a bit.

Your skilltree URL is not complete, so can't tell you anything about it.

Concerning your gear, I'd rather wear life/resist gloves and rings with 60+ life.
Your sword is pretty bad. Swords with ~300 DpS are not too expensive, try to get one.

Rest ist standard equipment.
Tested a 1000 times, will do the trick in all but extremest situations.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Ok i will try out reave and get concentrated effect too. And yeah my sword and rings arebad, i can't seem to find better ones and rares on trade are quite expensive so i will have to save up. Thank you for your help :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info