Died to Strongbox lag and suggestions so this never happens again

I lost my hardcore lv58 Witch due to a strongbox. Whenever I open a strongbox, my computer lags momentarily as it spawns all of the enemies. Usually this isn't a big concern and I take only a little unavoidable damage before I'm able to control my character again, but I guess the strongbox I had opened had enemies so strong that they piled on the damage on my squishy witch before I could do anything and I died. It literally went I opened the strongbox, computer paused, and then I was presented with a death prompt.

All of this lag from spawning enemies could be avoided completely if monsters were spawned and rendered far off the level as soon as you enter that area and then as soon as you click the strongbox they simply get teleported from into position. There would be zero lag if that happened.

Another idea would be if they enabled a small "grace period" invulnerability protection when you activate strongboxes and removed all of the strongbox "trap" effects that attack you when you open them. This way, you could keep strongboxes the way they are now, but I'm not punished for being a bad computer.

I feel like I was cheated out of the loss of my hardcore status. You know this is just going to be something I tell anybody who asks me about this game, that you can be cheated out of hardcore by lag when opening a strongbox. I told a friend already and he was like "wow.. that sucks" and doesn't even want to play the game anymore until he's certain this is fixed. I'm not mad about it, just really disappointed. I was really hoping that my death that threw me out of hardcore would've been legit from some really powerful enemy.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I´ve died to strongbox frozen screen on lvl 90 on the weekend and all I did just laught how stupid I am to open strongbox with an exile in. At least friend who came back to game could borrow that gear so he doesn´t start with almost nothing haha
Last edited by NarraX1337 on Nov 27, 2014, 2:25:07 AM
If you're put off by dying to lag in an online game, I would never suggest ANY HC league in ANY game that is online.

That being said, suggestion 1 increases load times across the board. For players without a SSD, this load time may see a significant jump.

2, only if you were also immobile during the immunity.
Pre-loading makes no sense as long as you can alter the boxes spawns (read: modify like maps..).

Sorry to hear, but reading box properties is advised, even in SC altho 10% XP loss hurt less than a HC-death for sure.
IGN: WildTortillaFart
PoE has too many technical issues for serious HC play (unless you are a streaming nolifer partyplay trader, where partying results in ez-mode and trading provides all the shortcuts).

Unstable FPS causing stuttering & non-fluid gameplay, loading lag, desync. Add a combat type, where your char cant survive for more than 2 seconds without player input and you get something that should have 'experimental' tag next to it.

I tried to get into HC play in PoE, but there's too much variables that are outside of my control (more than in other online games).
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Nov 27, 2014, 5:42:17 AM
IMO, the shrines are worse.

The problem of this kind of lag is caused by the sudden increase in video that your computer needs to process. So, once the monsters (and all their extra video components (shrine)) need to be processed that overwhelms your video, you have lag.

The solution I use for strong boxes with 100% success is Conversion Trap and I get out of range.

The only solution I can think of for GGG would be to pare down the video by removing/reducing some of the video effects or numbers of monsters that are immediately present. There is a mod that streams monsters from crates, which allows some monsters to be spawned later. The shrine problem would be fixed if they took the heavily video effectives off the monsters. Also the shrines, really, imo, add nothing to the game and could be eliminated entirely.
"Share information to increase knowledge."
"... to distinguish Nature from Custom, or that which is established because it is right, from that which is right only because it is established." Samuel Johnson
This game is capable of tracking FPS. Just make the monsters stand still until the opener's frame rate stabilizes
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
N0Lif3 wrote:
All of this lag from spawning enemies could be avoided completely if monsters were spawned and rendered far off the level as soon as you enter that area and then as soon as you click the strongbox they simply get teleported from into position. There would be zero lag if that happened.
This would not, in fact, be any different in the general case. Monsters (and other game objects) don't exist on the client until they're close enough to the player to potentially matter - this prevents several easily abusable client hacks that would otherwise be possible. There's no difference to the client between the monsters teleporting in from a long distance away or just spawning on the spot - in both cases the monsters did not exists and have now been created on the client.
Strongboxes spawn monsters based on types that are already in the instance so that they're already preloaded, meaning in both cases the client would react exactly the same.
The only potential benefit is in the case of rogue exiles, for which the base models are preloaded (character models) but may include some nonloaded cosmetic effects.

If you're actually experiencing this on all boxes, and not only ones with exiles, then this isn't something that can be fixed, or even affected, by your proposed solution, as the lag must be related to creating the monster objects on the client, not the loading of their data.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

The only potential benefit is in the case of rogue exiles, for which the base models are preloaded (character models) but may include some nonloaded cosmetic effects.

If you're actually experiencing this on all boxes...

I won't speak for everyone but my experience is that it doesn't happen anything close to every time (and other threads will concur with that) and rogue exiles seem to be a significant factor in the occurrence of lock-lag-boxes.

While I understand why MTX are important (people paid for them, so others' should in theory see them), they along with the shrine effects mentioned above can make a computer strain very hard. The option to turn them off along with rain effects, or some other way to reduce the processing load associated with these, would be a very very large quality of life improvement for me, and I suspect most others. Perhaps that would fix the 'box of needless death' issue.
Just make the monsters from strongboxes come in at you from the edge of the screen. At least then you have a change to escape.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info