Spectral Throw Ranger Discussion.

Hello guys, i just wanted to mention something. As you know from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL88HmM9k5Y. The build is with dagger, since it gives you global crit chance. But as it is mention in the video it is easy to die from reflection enemies. So i came up with a thought "Wouldn't it be better if you get Vaal Pact then and use a claw". With a claw you will heal a lot and with so much physical damage the healing will be tremendous and you will still have a decent critical strike chance. So i think the effect of usuning a claw will be more possitive, than negative. Still i wrote to you guys to ask about your opinions, because i am a newbie. I played with a couple of characters with the biggest level - Ranger -41 Cruel Softcore. So i don't know much about the game and i am opened to hear the opinions of a more experienced guys. I want to do the spectral throw build and thats why i wanted to know if it would be better if you use a claw, rather than a dagger.
Well I'm gonna go easy cuz ur a newbie buuut:

1) If you look at most crit builds that have gained reputation, they are dagger based (as opposed to claw, that is, they are also bow/wands):

> The crit chance and damage on daggers is superior than claws (esp. the crit chance)
> The leech gained by claws (realistically, 3% for each claw) is not really that big of a deal, as its very easy to get leech using blood rage, amulet with leech, rings with leech, leech from the tree, etc... after a certain point more leech doesn't help. I suppose you could argue that the cluster with 4% leech nodes makes a difference tho.
>(The biggest factor) The passive nodes for daggers are WAY better than those of claws. I mean SO MUCH BETTER. Srsly, the dagger passives are so good XD

End result: - Go daggers
Yea. I looked into it and decided to go with daggers too. Just to ask though, will it be good if i get Vaal Pact ? With so much Life Leech i don't think i will need health regend. Though i want your answer since i am not sure about this.
"
Yea. I looked into it and decided to go with daggers too. Just to ask though, will it be good if i get Vaal Pact ? With so much Life Leech i don't think i will need health regend. Though i want your answer since i am not sure about this.

Vaal pact is a must on most crit build, esp the kind you are looking to make.

Or, if you have the atziri gloves, use those (tho I don't suspect you do)
I will try to make them with orb of chance. I have lots of those. Like 40-50 so i hope at least 1 lucks out. Btw dude i will close the thread. Thank you really much. Can you tell me your name in game so that i could ask you if smths up. Or it will be a bother ? :P
"
I will try to make them with orb of chance. I have lots of those. Like 40-50 so i hope at least 1 lucks out. Btw dude i will close the thread. Thank you really much. Can you tell me your name in game so that i could ask you if smths up. Or it will be a bother ? :P

You can't chance Atziri drops.
"

Glad to help, but like gaspar said, you can't chance the atziri gloves. My ign is my username (CabooseDog; look in my sig or click on my character profile)

Good luck with the build
As someone who made that mistake with his first ranger claw instead of dagger I will explain why dagger is better lategame.

1. With crit you can improve your damage by getting "increased crit multiplier" nods on tree, which are very generously given to daggers. With same amount of passives you will have much higher crit chance/crit mutiplier with a dagger than a claw because of weapon specific passives.

2. You need VERY high crit chance for a good crit build, and I am talking about near 90% (even if it is reached by Power Charge on Critical). Increased crit chance applies on your weapon's base crit chance. For example if you have a claw with %5 crit chance and %800 increased crit chance from passives/items you will have 5%+(5*800%)=45% crit chance as opposed to using a dagger with %7 base crit to have 7%+(7*800%)=63% crit chance. So daggers/wands/harbinger bows beat anything when it comes to crit.
Last edited by symban on Nov 24, 2014, 7:04:50 PM
"
symban wrote:
if you have a claw with %5 crit chance

Claws have roughly equivalent base crit with Daggers, it ain't a sad 5. Daggers just get multiple free sources of critical chance and multiplier (Adder's Touch being like 10% more total net damage from one skill point alone).

In theory, Claws would be viable if they led to you being able to drop the use of the Life Leech support gem. But, if you deal physical damage, you don't need to use Life Leech anyway. You're already at the leech cap with a single high ilvl amulet with leech on it.

Since you can't realistically get Vaal Pact without effectively crippling yourself, since the Atziri gloves make daggers better for leech than claws, and since there's no increased leech rate claw nodes (seriously, why the heck not), there's really only downsides to claws versus every other weapon type.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Nov 25, 2014, 12:42:12 AM
"
there's really only downsides to claws versus every other weapon type.

Nearly correct.
Only claws can use the "Claws of the Magpie" passive. It's great especially later when enemies tend to get charges (map mod, enduring bears, frenzied as damaged mod on rare monsters, Oak, etc.).
Sadly, that's about it, so go dagger. :/
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Last edited by Mikrotherion on Nov 25, 2014, 1:46:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info