Vegetarianism

Disclaimer
I'm not a vegetarian, but my Sifu is. He is a Buddist, and he tells us his experience on living with no meat. His reasoning is simple (as taught by his Sifu): Humans have longer intestines vs predatory animals; because of this the meat stays longer inside of us than in Tigers for example. Meat inside too long = Bad, he said.

Temple monks eat mashed chick peas and ginger mostly. This with the occasional fruits and other vegies. Rice can also be consumed if available.

There is rigorous training involved though, to complement the lack of meat.

I need more purple titles

Spoiler
Take this as you will
Oblivious
Been vegetarian my whole life, by my own choice with no influence from anyone around me and if I've learned anything it's that this is a conversation not worth having. My reasons are solely based off of taste/texture, I don't understand why people fight for animals that are bred to be killed, and I don't understand people who eat doritos and ramen all day because meat is bad for you.

For those in the states, veggies and fruits aren't that healthy, either. GMOs and Monsanto ruined that. Support local mom and pop shops and farms, that's the best way to eat healthy.
"
SkyCore wrote:
The day i see an animal protect or save a human, is a day i stop eating that type of animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabang

"
Kabang (Visayan for "Spotty") is a shepherd mix Aspin from Zamboanga City, Philippines, who became famous internationally and was described as a "hero dog" when she rescued two children from a potentially fatal motorcycle crash.

But I do hope I can show you some cases where Pigs, Chickens and Cows saved a human.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Nov 25, 2014, 11:42:32 PM
Wow, so many opinions on this thread. Here's mine:

Watch Documentaries about food, these are what I've watched:
* Eating
* Earthlings
* Food Inc.
* Fed up

We've stopped Cigarette Corporations from killing us. It's just simply the same with Giant Food Corporations. Difference is that, it seems that we are failing to stop them.

Take note that the air pollution in producing a single HAMBURGER is more than what a diesel TRUCK makes. There's a lot more here, deforestation for more farms and lands for helpless cows. (and a lot more)

I hope everyone realize that it's not just about yourself and your self believes.

First time I learned all this, Me and my family went straight Vegan for 1 whole year. Now, we go vegan as much as we can.

Edit:
If ever you wanna appeal to authority (argumentum ab auctoritate),
these folks are vegans/vegetarians:
Albert Einstein
Plato
Sir Isaac Newton
John the Baptist
Steve Jobs
Abraham Lincoln
Bryan Adams
Avril Lavigne
Brad Pitt
Natalie Portman
Mike Tyson
Travis Barker - drummer of Blink-182
* list taken from Wiki

Edit2:
Oh and yeah, Rob Zombie is a vegan!
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Nov 26, 2014, 12:11:24 AM
"
"
SkyCore wrote:
The day i see an animal protect or save a human, is a day i stop eating that type of animal.

"
Kabang (Visayan for "Spotty") is a shepherd mix Aspin from Zamboanga City, Philippines, who became famous internationally and was described as a "hero dog" when she rescued two children from a potentially fatal motorcycle crash.

But I do hope I can show you some cases where Pigs, Chickens and Cows saved a human.

Im very aware of canine virtues.

Iv heard of dolphins fighting off sharks to protect swimmers so they are also included in my ethical circle.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:

I take it you mean that they have to conciouisly make a decision to protect the human? Humans have been using parts of pig hearts for a long time as they are extrodinarily similar to our own hearts.

As for them making a concious decision to protect us (which is sort of a double standard, I'm not actively protecting them, I'm just not killing/eating them. Thus far no animal has killed or eaten me, so I'd say we're even), I think there are probably quite a lot of cases of pigs and cows saving people deliberately. A quick google reveals there's a pig called Lulu who went out into the road to get help for her owner, and cows who have stayed by injured farmers licking them and stuff (which is the best help they can be expected to offer).

And then there's the flipside of that idea; many humans don't protect or save people, does that mean they are fair game for being turned into burgers?
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:

I take it you mean that they have to conciouisly make a decision to protect the human? Humans have been using parts of pig hearts for a long time as they are extrodinarily similar to our own hearts.

As for them making a concious decision to protect us (which is sort of a double standard, I'm not actively protecting them, I'm just not killing/eating them. Thus far no animal has killed or eaten me, so I'd say we're even), I think there are probably quite a lot of cases of pigs and cows saving people deliberately. A quick google reveals there's a pig called Lulu who went out into the road to get help for her owner, and cows who have stayed by injured farmers licking them and stuff (which is the best help they can be expected to offer).

And then there's the flipside of that idea; many humans don't protect or save people, does that mean they are fair game for being turned into burgers?

Not to mention many humans dont save an animal. So, yes, they are fair game. :)
"
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Are there any vegetarians here? I'm kind of vaguely contemplating becoming one but I don't really get how it works. Can you really feel full and healthy without eating any meat or fish? Do you spend your whole life thinking about meat or do you end up forgetting about it after a while?

It all seems so difficult. :s

You may already know the following, but just in case. . .

If you are going to omit meat from your diet, you'll want to make sure you get the essential.amino acids that your body can't make on its own. One easy way to do this is to eat complimentary proteins together like red beans and rice, or green beans and almonds. If they aren't consumed at the same time, try to eat them within 30 minutes of each other or your body may discard the protein.

Good Luck on your journey, and be careful to stay healthy.

Lol, i never ate any of that and im good. Physically that is, mentally thats a different matter. The meat eaters scare tactic for people who wanna be vegetarian is telling them they have deficits when they dont eat certain things, which is not true.

Humans are natural herbivores and became omnivores later, so the human body can work without meat better than with it, you gotta cook meat, lions dont cook meat, therefore, humans are not natural meat eaters, so stop spreading this, you need x, y or z to stay healthy.

You may have inadvertantly eaten enough of the essential amino acids in combination, or consumed a complete protein like soy, quinoa or buckwheat. If you omit them too long, your body will begin to suffer and eventually you will die.

As for humans being herbivores first. . . Take a look at a lion, wolf, and in the mirror. Now look at a cow, deer or in the mirror. Mammal predators tend to have binocular vision, while peripheal vision is more important for prey animals.

We don't have forward facing eyes so we can hunt down lettuce.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
"
DalaiLama wrote:

You may already know the following, but just in case. . .

If you are going to omit meat from your diet, you'll want to make sure you get the essential.amino acids that your body can't make on its own. One easy way to do this is to eat complimentary proteins together like red beans and rice, or green beans and almonds. If they aren't consumed at the same time, try to eat them within 30 minutes of each other or your body may discard the protein.

Good Luck on your journey, and be careful to stay healthy.

Lol, i never ate any of that and im good. Physically that is, mentally thats a different matter. The meat eaters scare tactic for people who wanna be vegetarian is telling them they have deficits when they dont eat certain things, which is not true.

Humans are natural herbivores and became omnivores later, so the human body can work without meat better than with it, you gotta cook meat, lions dont cook meat, therefore, humans are not natural meat eaters, so stop spreading this, you need x, y or z to stay healthy.

You may have inadvertantly eaten enough of the essential amino acids in combination, or consumed a complete protein like soy, quinoa or buckwheat. If you omit them too long, your body will begin to suffer and eventually you will die.

As for humans being herbivores first. . . Take a look at a lion, wolf, and in the mirror. Now look at a cow, deer or in the mirror. Mammal predators tend to have binocular vision, while peripheal vision is more important for prey animals.

We don't have forward facing eyes so we can hunt down lettuce.

I highlighted the part i dont understand. Youre saying i wont die if i eat enough of that stuff?^^

Tell me youre kidding, "eventually you will die", yea well, that tends to happen to something that lives. Besides, i am a vegetarian for 10 years and if there were any drawbacks to my eating behavior i would have noticed by now. In fact, im healthier physically than i ever was.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info