Something Different: Things POE does really well.

Background Music
- My first Brutus fight, I was scared shitless, and I kept saying "Goddammit BGM stop!" :D

Lockbox
- Ice Nova, 2 Rogue Exiles, 3 rare monsters, X amount of additional items. Should I open it in a half-regen Map?

Krillson

I need more purple titles
"
Original setting, lore and classes. There is very little "generic fantasy" in Wraeclast these days, and watching them patch it out has been fascinating.

I would disagree that the classes are "different" or done in any way that seems original.

I'm also not sure how you are missing the "Generic Fantasy" either. Three element magic with Dex, Int, Str based abilities is about as classic as you get. "Heroes" adventuring to kill an evil overlord certainly hasn't been done before.... oh wait.

I think their most innovative creation is having varied orb currency and crafting intertwined. Now while I think crafting can still be better, it has proven to be a pretty good sink. Vendor recipes are also well done and pretty unique.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Original setting, lore and classes. There is very little "generic fantasy" in Wraeclast these days, and watching them patch it out has been fascinating.

I would disagree that the classes are "different" or done in any way that seems original.

I'm also not sure how you are missing the "Generic Fantasy" either. Three element magic with Dex, Int, Str based abilities is about as classic as you get. "Heroes" adventuring to kill an evil overlord certainly hasn't been done before.... oh wait.

I think their most innovative creation is having varied orb currency and crafting intertwined. Now while I think crafting can still be better, it has proven to be a pretty good sink. Vendor recipes are also well done and pretty unique.

There are no dragons bro.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"

Heroes? Everyone is a jerkass except the templar, maybe. They are people in a hostile continent.

And ultimately, you are assuming that the final goal is to kill a dark lord. It wouldn't surprise me if the exiles end killing gods by selfish/naive reasons at the end, fucking everything.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Judging the story by what content is currently out, we're hapless lone survivors fighting against black knight religious zealots who turn people into monsters with grotesque blood rituals. There's not a lot of moral ambiguity in that, even if the protagonists are characterized as antiheroes.

But I do really love the recurring Piety encounters. It's not often in an ARPG you get a boss with meaningful in-game characterization and interesting fight mechanics spread throughout multiple encounters in both the early and late campaign. She's Diablo 2's Dark Wanderer done even better, and we have every reason to feel satisfied putting her down. By contrast, Dominus is practically a giant space chicken from out of nowheresville.
I agree the enemy side lacks ambiguity, but there is still more to see.

Many people complain that Dominus didn't have enough exposition. And that would be right if he actually was the boss, and there wasn't someone pulling the strings somehow. I think it's not an accident he was shown that way.

Who was scarier? Chitus or Malachai? The ruler or the thaumaturgist?

I bet that even Doryani is worse than Atziri, he just fucked up somehow or he is still alive. Or maybe, a perfect gemling can be a danger even to the ones who created them.
passive tree is awesome.

skill gems system. both very good and very bad. good when you are free to experiment and come up with all kinds crazy combinations, without being screwed by RNG out of both gems and/or sockets to put them in.
bad otherwise.

most unique item designs, if you actually get any.

lore and voice acting, if you bother reading and listening.

creativity in monster and boss design (and on the bad side, lack of creativity in what most of them can do, and how to challenge the player without necessarily pumping up attack damage over 9000 and/or killing the GPU with more on-screen particles than Ikaruga).

and that's just naming a few.

Path Of Exile, is both the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of ARPG.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"

Heroes? Everyone is a jerkass except the templar, maybe. They are people in a hostile continent.

And ultimately, you are assuming that the final goal is to kill a dark lord. It wouldn't surprise me if the exiles end killing gods by selfish/naive reasons at the end, fucking everything.

I put heroes in quotes because you could insert your own protagonist cliche there.

The large warrior, female magic user, hunter, assassin, ect... is pretty straightforward. As far as their motives... they all seemingly have good intentions. I'm mean you are helping out townsfolk most of the time. I would love a change to that pace.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I put heroes in quotes because you could insert your own protagonist cliche there.

The large warrior, female magic user, hunter, assassin, ect... is pretty straightforward. As far as their motives... they all seemingly have good intentions. I'm mean you are helping out townsfolk most of the time. I would love a change to that pace.

Hmmm...like the bandits quest?

On topic: I love unique items. They are fun to play with.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Nov 24, 2014, 4:10:21 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Hmmm...like the bandits quest?

On topic: I love unique items. They are fun to play with.

Yes exactly. Much better than "clear this cave out", or find my treasure/friend, or kill that dude. That stuff has been played out.

I wish the quests had more flavor like the Bandit quest. Or even the plot line itself. I mean fuck that ribbon queen calling me a cockroach. I'd kill her for her backtalk alone!
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info