Catarina's missions - Chaos damage (or aura) on charred skeletons?

I'd like to check in about how I just lost a hardcore character.

I just lost a level 62 hardcore summoner (hybrid life / ES) on a Catarina daily mission. It was a mission to resurrect 4 corpses, which were charred skeletons that turned immediately hostile. I had plenty of summons near them and thought the situation was wholly under control. There were no other mobs left alive anywhere near the corpses being raised, and so it wasn't something else.

I thought that charred skeletons always did elemental damage. So, I watched ES and didn't even bother watching my summoner's life total. I didn't see my summoner get hit even once, nor did I seem to be desynched or lagging. It was quite a surprise when the "Resurrect" button popped up with my summoner's ES total not having even moved, just as the two resurrected charred skeletons were themselves running low on life.

I know that the mummies have a powerful chaos damage DOT. But, I don't recall seeing any of them. I'm pretty sure that both resurrected mobs were charred skeletons.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
The monsters in Caterina's missions always have a random modifier. The only one I can see that causes chaos damage is the one that repeatedly casts Desecrate near them, so I'm guessing they had that.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The monsters in Caterina's missions always have a random modifier. The only one I can see that causes chaos damage is the one that repeatedly casts Desecrate near them, so I'm guessing they had that.
Thank you for the response. I'll not get caught off guard by them again (I hope).

Are there monsters in other masters' missions that might get a random ability to inflict chaos damage? It would be handy to know in advance, if possible.

I think my summoner was far enough from the charred skeletons that desecrate had to be cast on my summoner to do damage, instead of on themselves. I may have misjudged the distance, but I thought I'd mention this anyways in case the casting of desecrate by charred skeletons isn't WAI.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info