% damage buffs not working?

"
AngryFan wrote:
So is RF not buffing you when the gem is removed (or not in active weapon) by design? I thought it was meant to stay on you until you run out of HP. And once cast you didn't have to rock it anymore. It would also seem that the passive tree stuff no longer work at this point. As it is really small when I take it off. Even smaller then what it is when I run it without any supports.
It's not that it's small, the area effect is completely removed.

You are never supposed to benefit from skill gems that are no longer quipped to your character (this includes the secondary weapon set, as those items are not considered 'equipped').
You're also not supposed to be able to escape the self burn of RF as easily as just removing them gem, so that stays on you, but all beneficial elements of the skill (the spell damage boost and the enemy burning effect) are removed until the skill is replaced.
RF is meant to persist in that you are not supposed to be able to trivially escape the burning, as I noted above. Because that would remove most of the drawback of them gem. This is notable because it conflicts with the basic philosophy of the game which lead to finally removing snapshotting: you should not benefit from items you don't have equipped.
The eventual solution to these opposing goals was to remove the benefit but not the drawback - thus the part of the skill which needed to persist did so, and the rule about not benefitting from unequipped items was maintained.

Here are the relevant posts from later in that same thread (I've bolded the most relevant parts):
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Hey Mark,

Thanks so much for answering all of our questions. Must be tiring given the varying degrees of quality from this thread's questions.
No problem. It's been an experience, to be sure, but I do relish these opportunities to interact with the community.
"
I'm interested to hear about (potentially) more changes to RF's snapshotting. We've already established that activating RF then replacing it with a completely unrelated set of skill and support gems (hell, even a Kaom's) WILL STILL WORK under the (currently) planned changes.

zSavage has also posted another similar question in another thread:
snip

My assumption based on the information in this thread is that this will also WORK. And I'm also assuming that the dev team DOESN'T want that to work, but it's a much more technically challenging case to tackle.
We don't (ideally) want Righteous Fire to be able to snapshot. We do want Righteous Fire to not be something you can "turn off" by just removing the gem - it's a fundamental part of the skill's design that you must either include elements in your build that allow you to manage it, or suffer the burning until your last life point.

These two goals are somewhat at odds, as the basic non-snapshotting version on Righteous Fire would be one that did turn off when you removed it's gem.

<cut extremely technical description from quote>

We're currently looking into some solutions like keeping the part where it burns yourself, but removing the enemy burning and/or spell damage, so you couldn't escape burning yourself, but do need to keep the gem socketed to get actual use out of it. At this point I can't say if that's the path we'll take or not, or even if anything will change from the article before 1.2.0. As I said, I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date.

then later:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
UPDATE: the solution discussed here:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
We're currently looking into some solutions like keeping the part where it burns yourself, but removing the enemy burning and/or spell damage, so you couldn't escape burning yourself, but do need to keep the gem socketed to get actual use out of it. At this point I can't say if that's the path we'll take or not, or even if anything will change from the article before 1.2.0. As I said, I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date.
Has been confirmed and implemented. If you remove the RF gem, you'll still be burning, but you'll lose the spell damage bonus and the enemy burning effect, until you put the gem back.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info