% damage buffs not working?

So maybe I am just confused, but I am pretty sure this is a bug.

I am working to make a righteous fire build, but it would seem righteous fire increase spell damage doesn't work. Anyways I wanted to rock Ice nova and debating on grabbing the Elemental Equilibrium node. But It seemed to me that if I could get Ice Nova's damage High I might not grab it. I thought that %Elemental damage would increase Ice nova's Damage as swell as %spell damage because it says spell under it's skill. However when I grab spell damage nodes it doesn't increase its damage at all. And when I turn on Righteous fire it also doesn't increase. % Elemental damage seems to not be working either.

So I thought maybe I would test it out a little more. And used a searing bond totem. That was level 17. Base damage 1061 per sec. It's damage without the item to the left is 3045.9, and when equipped is 3258.1 per second. This is neather a 5% or a 20% increase.
However; when the next item to the left is equipped the Damage is still only 3045.9 per second. So it would seem 5% Fire is being added but the 10% elemental is not. I can't see a number on my Righteous fire so I don't know if this only effects this skill or not. However; seeing how searing bond is also labeled as a spell I thought spell damage should also increase its damage. But it also seems to not affect it at all as well.

I am confused why % fire damage works, but not % elemental damage. Isn't fire damage a type of elemental damage? I am also confused why % spell damage doesn't work with Ice Nova. I can see why it wouldn't work with Searing bond, but Searing bond is labeled as a spell? So shouldn't it work with that skill too? In the above example Ice nova works the same. It's damage does increase with the % cold damage, but not the elemental damage from the items.

I hope I am not just being stupid and missing something, but can anyone confirm this as a bugs?

Either way I don't see any point now in grabbing % spell damage nodes or % elemental damage nodes. They don't seem to currently add anything to any of the spells I have tested. But the % fire or % burning seem to work just fine, and seem to give more then they says they do.
Last edited by AngryFan on Nov 23, 2014, 11:18:43 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
AngryFan wrote:
So maybe I am just confused, but I am pretty sure this is a bug.

I am working to make a righteous fire build, but it would seem righteous fire increase spell damage doesn't work. Anyways I wanted to rock Ice nova and debating on grabbing the Elemental Equilibrium node. But It seemed to me that if I could get Ice Nova's damage High I might not grab it. I thought that %Elemental damage would increase Ice nova's Damage as swell as %spell damage because it says spell under it's skill. However when I grab spell damage nodes it doesn't increase its damage at all. And when I turn on Righteous fire it also doesn't increase. % Elemental damage seems to not be working either.

Damage from righteous fire is a degeneration effect that doesn't hit the enemies and doesn't proc elemental equilibrium. Unless you have some other source of fire or lightning damage, elemental equilibrium will not help your ice nova in any way. Searing bond won't work for that either.

"
AngryFan wrote:

So I thought maybe I would test it out a little more. And used a searing bond totem. That was level 17. Base damage 1061 per sec. It's damage without the item to the left is 3045.9, and when equipped is 3258.1 per second. This is neather a 5% or a 20% increase.

It is 20% increase of the base damage 1061. The increase from item mods is additive, not multiplicative with increased damage from passive nodes and support gems.

"
AngryFan wrote:

However; when the next item to the left is equipped the Damage is still only 3045.9 per second. So it would seem 5% Fire is being added but the 10% elemental is not. I can't see a number on my Righteous fire so I don't know if this only effects this skill or not. However; seeing how searing bond is also labeled as a spell I thought spell damage should also increase its damage. But it also seems to not affect it at all as well.

Searing bond is a spell that summons a totem, but the totem doesn't deal spell damage, so the spell damage mod doesn't apply. This item should give half the increase of the other item, or 10% to 3152. Sure nothing else changed between trying these two?
"
tomal79 wrote:
Damage from righteous fire is a degeneration effect that doesn't hit the enemies and doesn't proc elemental equilibrium. Unless you have some other source of fire or lightning damage, elemental equilibrium will not help your ice nova in any way. Searing bond won't work for that either.
Hmm was my first paragraph that confusing. I said I was thinking about rocking elemental equilibrium with ice nova. You know so ice nova could proc it for righteous fire. But I also thought about that passive buff from righteous fire that gives you that % more spell damage. It should scale with ice nova. But because it appeared to me at the time that Ice nova was not benefiting from that... I was going to probable just grab elemental equilibrium and re-spec those nodes. So Elemental equilibrium could buff righteous fire's damage. While righteous fire's innately buffs ice nova. Depending on the end result of ice nova's damage will be the deciding factor of weather I grab elemental equilibrium or not.

"
tomal79 wrote:
It is 20% increase of the base damage 1061. The increase from item mods is additive, not multiplicative with increased damage from passive nodes and support gems.
Ok that makes sense, and looks like it is adding properly. My fear was correct I was just being an idiot.

"
tomal79 wrote:
Searing bond is a spell that summons a totem, but the totem doesn't deal spell damage, so the spell damage mod doesn't apply. This item should give half the increase of the other item, or 10% to 3152. Sure nothing else changed between trying these two?
I swear I looked at it like 50 times before, and didn't see an increase. But it did increase to 3152. I guess I was blinding myself, or maybe it just wasn't showing properly when I looked at it. Thanks for the help.

It also looks like ice nova is working with % more spell damage so my bad their. It just doesn't show any damage change when I turn on righteous fire. So maybe I am reading that skill wrong. How does that % more spell damage from righteous fire work? Is it not suppose to buff Ice nova?
Ok I figured it out. It was because I was swapping weapons.

When I swapped weapons to turn on RF. I would then quickly swap back. When I did this I was loosing the beneficial parts of the buff from RF. I only noticed this because of a Increase area effect gem that I had tied to RF. When I swapped gear RF got really small. I was still on fire but my skills and nothing was buffed. I guess this means you can't cast RF, and then take it off... like I thought you could. Ice Nova is getting buffed by RF, but It doesn't matter as I will now have to rethink my gem layout.

So is RF not buffing you when the gem is removed (or not in active weapon) by design? I thought it was meant to stay on you until you run out of HP. And once cast you didn't have to rock it anymore. It would also seem that the passive tree stuff no longer work at this point. As it is really small when I take it off. Even smaller then what it is when I run it without any supports.
"
AngryFan wrote:
So is RF not buffing you when the gem is removed (or not in active weapon) by design? I thought it was meant to stay on you until you run out of HP. And once cast you didn't have to rock it anymore. It would also seem that the passive tree stuff no longer work at this point. As it is really small when I take it off. Even smaller then what it is when I run it without any supports.
It's not that it's small, the area effect is completely removed.

You are never supposed to benefit from skill gems that are no longer quipped to your character (this includes the secondary weapon set, as those items are not considered 'equipped').
You're also not supposed to be able to escape the self burn of RF as easily as just removing them gem, so that stays on you, but all beneficial elements of the skill (the spell damage boost and the enemy burning effect) are removed until the skill is replaced.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It's not that it's small, the area effect is completely removed.

You are never supposed to benefit from skill gems that are no longer quipped to your character (this includes the secondary weapon set, as those items are not considered 'equipped').
You're also not supposed to be able to escape the self burn of RF as easily as just removing them gem, so that stays on you, but all beneficial elements of the skill (the spell damage boost and the enemy burning effect) are removed until the skill is replaced.
Really I read the thread about snapshotting here

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Righteous Fire:

By design, Righteous Fire is meant to persist, whether or not you lose the skill. The theme of the skill is that you burn to death! As a result, if you unsocket the Righteous Fire gem, the effect will persist, but will no longer update with changes to support gems as there's no skill gem for them to support. However, if you then make changes to your gear or passives that would affect the skill, it will still detect this and change its effectiveness accordingly. If you resocket the Righteous Fire gem in the same slot, it will begin checking the support gems again, and change the effect to match.
So maybe I am reading this wrong, but doesn't it say it is meant to persist. And that passive nodes will update it automatically. I thought this was the whole point of this skill, and have been building up my character pretty much around this idea. I am still new, and don't know everything. But maybe this is not the latest view of RF. If I would have know this I am pretty sure I would have done things differently.
Last edited by AngryFan on Nov 25, 2014, 2:54:54 AM
RF is meant to persist in that you are not supposed to be able to trivially escape the burning, as I noted above. Because that would remove most of the drawback of them gem. This is notable because it conflicts with the basic philosophy of the game which lead to finally removing snapshotting: you should not benefit from items you don't have equipped.
The eventual solution to these opposing goals was to remove the benefit but not the drawback - thus the part of the skill which needed to persist did so, and the rule about not benefitting from unequipped items was maintained.

Here are the relevant posts from later in that same thread (I've bolded the most relevant parts):
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Hey Mark,

Thanks so much for answering all of our questions. Must be tiring given the varying degrees of quality from this thread's questions.
No problem. It's been an experience, to be sure, but I do relish these opportunities to interact with the community.
"
I'm interested to hear about (potentially) more changes to RF's snapshotting. We've already established that activating RF then replacing it with a completely unrelated set of skill and support gems (hell, even a Kaom's) WILL STILL WORK under the (currently) planned changes.

zSavage has also posted another similar question in another thread:
snip

My assumption based on the information in this thread is that this will also WORK. And I'm also assuming that the dev team DOESN'T want that to work, but it's a much more technically challenging case to tackle.
We don't (ideally) want Righteous Fire to be able to snapshot. We do want Righteous Fire to not be something you can "turn off" by just removing the gem - it's a fundamental part of the skill's design that you must either include elements in your build that allow you to manage it, or suffer the burning until your last life point.

These two goals are somewhat at odds, as the basic non-snapshotting version on Righteous Fire would be one that did turn off when you removed it's gem.

<cut extremely technical description from quote>

We're currently looking into some solutions like keeping the part where it burns yourself, but removing the enemy burning and/or spell damage, so you couldn't escape burning yourself, but do need to keep the gem socketed to get actual use out of it. At this point I can't say if that's the path we'll take or not, or even if anything will change from the article before 1.2.0. As I said, I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date.

then later:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
UPDATE: the solution discussed here:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
We're currently looking into some solutions like keeping the part where it burns yourself, but removing the enemy burning and/or spell damage, so you couldn't escape burning yourself, but do need to keep the gem socketed to get actual use out of it. At this point I can't say if that's the path we'll take or not, or even if anything will change from the article before 1.2.0. As I said, I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date.
Has been confirmed and implemented. If you remove the RF gem, you'll still be burning, but you'll lose the spell damage bonus and the enemy burning effect, until you put the gem back.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Has been confirmed and implemented. If you remove the RF gem, you'll still be burning, but you'll lose the spell damage bonus and the enemy burning effect, until you put the gem back.
Well to be honest I didn't even look up the snapshotting thread. Well not until after I figured out RF wasn't boosting my stats after I weapon swapped. When I read the skill it appeared to me that the gem was meant to persist even when taken off. A few others gems like arctic armor also read that way to me. And as a new player trying to figure out a build... this is frustrating. I really don't see the logic in just loosing the buffs. If you loose an affect of the skill you should loose it all, not just parts of it. Before reading that thread it didn't even occur to me that you could snapshot other things like Aura's. And after reading the first few pages of grammar police I stopped reading the thread. I really didn't want to go through 68 pages of nonsense.

Anyways the skill should at least note that only the burning stay's when removed. When I tested it at lower levels it would burn me so fast that it was too hard to tell that the buffs dropped off. Now that I am of higher level and can almost afford the shield needed for the skill to run. I find out my planned gem set up from early level testing was wasted. While I understand you wanted to remove what people where abusing from the system... I don't really feel that this was handled correctly. I guess its my own fault for not testing/researching more fully before hand. But either way it is still frustrating, and I will now have to change my plans up. I am not running RF because I have seen others do it. I did it because I like the concept of the skill. The same reason I wanted to use Ice Nova is because I thought the concept of a Nova skill was cool. I might even rock shock nova over ice nova. It's the nova part I find cool. But now I might just drop RF completely. The problem is the nova's don't look like viable skills on their own. Their damage is just way to low. And like RF lack a good amount of support gems. Oh wells back to the drawing boards. Looks like I will just start over, as this Char just bothers me now.

5 different champions built to test out an RF build... Now I will just be scrapping them and doing something else. Sigh...
Last edited by AngryFan on Nov 25, 2014, 9:06:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info