screen goes black temporarily

Been having a reoccuring problem where my screen goes black for a few seconds and the sound stops for a few seconds, the sound will come back 1-2 seconds before the image. It seems to be related to the amount of effects on screen, i.e. i have it happen very frequently with my coc character and not nearly as ofter with ts or a mele skill. seems to happen alot more around shrines too.

pc:
i5-2500k - not oc'd temps are fine its on h100 cooler
mobo asrock z77 pro 3 latest firmware
twin frozr gtx 780 - not oc'd temps are also good
8gb 1333 - done windows mem test no issues found
game is installed on 120gb samsung ssd
windows 7
144 hz benq 2420te

everything is up to date
this doesnt happen in any other game i have played, played most popular games cs/bf3-4/farcry series/d3/etc
please help this is making this game unplayable
Hmm. Are your Display Drivers fully updated? Have you tried turning down your in-game graphics and checking if this helps? Are you running any other programs while you play PoE?
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
I've had this start happening in the past few days as well. At first I wasn't sure if it was the PC or the graphics card, but seeing this, it wouldn't be surprising if it's the game, considering all the bugs and the piss-poor optimization that it has. No hardware or software changed on my end, either.
"
eoden_usmc wrote:
Been having a reoccuring problem where my screen goes black for a few seconds and the sound stops for a few seconds, the sound will come back 1-2 seconds before the image. It seems to be related to the amount of effects on screen, i.e. i have it happen very frequently with my coc character and not nearly as ofter with ts or a mele skill. seems to happen alot more around shrines too.

pc:
i5-2500k - not oc'd temps are fine its on h100 cooler
mobo asrock z77 pro 3 latest firmware
twin frozr gtx 780 - not oc'd temps are also good
8gb 1333 - done windows mem test no issues found
game is installed on 120gb samsung ssd
windows 7
144 hz benq 2420te

everything is up to date
this doesnt happen in any other game i have played, played most popular games cs/bf3-4/farcry series/d3/etc
please help this is making this game unplayable

Is vsync on? How many FPS are you playing with?

Do the following:

Start > on the search type "Event Viewer" > Look on Custom Views > Administrative events around the time of the temporary blackouts. Look specially for "Warning" on "Display" source.

I'm pointing you to this place because there is a high chance this is a driver crashing. If that's the case there are a bunch of suggestions I can make.

"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
I've had this start happening in the past few days as well. At first I wasn't sure if it was the PC or the graphics card, but seeing this, it wouldn't be surprising if it's the game, considering all the bugs and the piss-poor optimization that it has. No hardware or software changed on my end, either.

Create a new thread with PC specs, temps, etc. Also check for the information I asked the OP.
I've been having the Black screen issue for half year now, and it always happens when playing PoE, lost a few lvl 90s in beyond League cus of the Black screen, hope you find a solution.
2H Lightning Striker, lvl 94 HC Duelist - ign Draizor
I have GTX 670 and this has happened to me couple time after new nvidia drivers.. but for me its only like 0.2s and then all is back to normal. Its propably driver crashing.
"
Kullevi wrote:
I have GTX 670 and this has happened to me couple time after new nvidia drivers.. but for me its only like 0.2s and then all is back to normal. Its propably driver crashing.

You're likey right. For all users experiencing this issue, it's VERY likely a driver crash. You can check the Windows Event/Error log to see just after it happens. Likely the driver is being restarted because Windows assumes it is timed out.

The major cause of this is old drivers, or incorrect GPU timings. Make sure you're not OCing the card and you have proper timings enabled. Also make sure you have a PSU that can supply enough power to the GPU.

Good luck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info