Penetration GemsDPS ?

I asked in game and only reply I got said penetration was only good against mobs with high resistences. But I always thought It gave mobs with no resists negative resists. Which is Correct? Trying to figure out if 10.3K dps with zero penetration better then 8K dps with 36% penetration. They seem to clear about same speed but not really sure about the mechanics of it now.
Curses lower resists on the target and that number is used versus all incoming damage. If the target has overshot resists the curse may fail to lower them past 75 in which case 75 is used.

Hits that have penetration linked treat that number as X points lower.

Resists do not have a negative cap.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Just plug in numbers to see the effect.

If a monster is capped at 75 resist:
10.3k DPS * .25 = 2575 DPS taken
8k DPS * .61 = 4880 DPS taken

If a monster is at 0 resist:
10.3k DPS = 10.3k DPS taken
8k DPS * 1.36 = 10.88 DPS taken

Clearly the 8k DPS with 36% penetration gives you more actual DPS than 10.3k with no penetration...it just doesn't show up in the tooltip that some people seem to think is the measure of your manhood.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:

Clearly the 8k DPS with 36% penetration gives you more actual DPS than 10.3k with no penetration...it just doesn't show up in the tooltip that some people seem to think is the measure of your manhood.

This is what I thought, but as I said someone else told me that penetration didn't have any effect against mobs with no resists. So I wanted to double check if he was wrong or if I was wrong. Thanks to both of you for answering.
"
sfbistimg wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:

This is what I thought, but as I said someone else told me that penetration didn't have any effect against mobs with no resists. So I wanted to double check if he was wrong or if I was wrong. Thanks to both of you for answering.

He probably confused it with League of Legends
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info