Daresso's Defiance

"
grepman wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
it seems to be too hard to understand - you DO NOT build for low life. you just let the health drain to LL status and then enjoy the max block (and not drain any more). only 1shots can kill you (that applies exactly the same with full max spell block - so it does not matter) that way and i got to 85 without one. ofc some 'paper generals' will cry 'unviable' but hey, what do THEY know..

this game mechanics are complex and brute-forcing stuff is not the only way.

while Ive never played like that and thus I wont criticize it outright...

Im very skeptical because this playstyle doesnt seem to hold up in theory

the main problem is that you are expected to be in low life state, when in reality you never really want to be in the state of low life and it seems counterproductive and counterintuitive to be in that state for a prolonged time

lets say an average HP pool is 4500
low life kicks in at ~1600. at which point you never want to be; even on softcore this is a point where flasks start to be spam popped. and on HC you have people logging out far before that.

1600 is nothing on high maps, and really nothing in mid-tier maps either. a simple attack or attack+degen will gimp you at low life. you are effectively playing with 1600 life at that point.

so really, the only way it even seems remotely viable is when you have amazingly good evasion or armour AND its exclusively a spell spam fast (ie, elemental spell bosses)
even then, with max block, you still have 1 in 4 chance of next spell destroying you.

sorry, seems like a total clusterfuck in a binary game like PoE, where you either play with full life or you're dead :) maybe Im missing something, if so let me know.

You forgot the ES...
Unarmed for life! (although I do like maces too recently)
"
grepman wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
it seems to be too hard to understand - you DO NOT build for low life. you just let the health drain to LL status and then enjoy the max block (and not drain any more). only 1shots can kill you (that applies exactly the same with full max spell block - so it does not matter) that way and i got to 85 without one. ofc some 'paper generals' will cry 'unviable' but hey, what do THEY know..

the main problem is that you are expected to be in low life state, when in reality you never really want to be in the state of low life and it seems counterproductive and counterintuitive to be in that state for a prolonged time

low life kicks in at ~1600. at which point you never want to be; even on softcore this is a point where flasks start to be spam popped. and on HC you have people logging out far before that.

1600 is nothing on high maps, and really nothing in mid-tier maps either. a simple attack or attack+degen will gimp you at low life. you are effectively playing with 1600 life at that point.

so really, the only way it even seems remotely viable is when you have amazingly good evasion or armour AND its exclusively a spell spam fast (ie, elemental spell bosses)
even then, with max block, you still have 1 in 4 chance of next spell destroying you.

sorry, seems like a total clusterfuck in a binary game like PoE, where you either play with full life or you're dead :) maybe Im missing something, if so let me know.

got to 85 not dying once to spells. it works. but im happy that people are trying to theorycraft everything (thus creating a model without having full data) - that makes this shield (and many other 'meh' items) cheap
"
Broliciously wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

You forgot the ES...

how do you let your health drain to LL status with ES without building for LL ? you drain till LL, wait until ES regens, and make sure your health doesnt regen ? sounds even worse, very convoluted.
Daresso's armour and shield are crazy underrated. (I don't mind though can buy them for dirt)
In Ambush I made a fantastic cheap melee tank with them: did get as much extra endurance charges from tree, bandit quest and equipment (2 Kaom's ring for cheap version, corrupted good rings for the riches)as I could. With 9 (or was it 10? I don't remember) charges you get 36% more(!) phis damage reduction and 36% more all res. Did get a lot of shield nodes so was max blocking and also max spellblocking when needed. The armour gave a huge DPS boost when somehow I get damaged.
I was facetanking lvl 70+ map bosses at lvl 60-65. Kole, Brutus, and their map versions were a joke. Dominus farming was a piece of cake: Dominus sprayed me with his lightning stream, my life went down to 30% and stopped there, didn't get any lower. I had to manually dodge "the touch" but other than that it was an easy facetank. Good times.

(edit: spelling)
- taking a trip to Belize, I'm so excited! -
Last edited by yaqwes on Nov 23, 2014, 4:59:12 AM
"
yaqwes wrote:
Daresso's armour and shield are crazy underrated. (I don't mind though can buy them for dirt)
In Ambush I made a fantastic cheap melee tank with them: did get as much extra endurance charges from tree, bandit quest and equipment (2 Kaom's ring for cheap version, corrupted good rings for the riches)as I could. With 9 (or was it 10? I don't remember) charges you get 36% more(!) phis damage reduction and 36% more all res. Did get a lot of shield notes so was max blocking and also max spellblocking when needed. The armour gave a huge DPS boost when somehow I get damaged.
I was facetanking lvl 70+ map bosses at lvl 60-65. Kole, Brutus, and their map versions were a joke. Dominus farming was a piece of cake: Dominus sprayed me with his lightning stream, my life went down to 30% and stpped there, didn't get any lower. I had to manually dodge "the touch" but other than that it was an easy facetank. Good times.

finally someone shares my enthusiasm for this combo..
What sidtherat is saying is that Daresso's Courage spell block basically functions similarly to using a CwDT + EC + IC combination (for spells rather than physical damage) - if you take a bunch of damage at once, it boosts your defense while you're low and buys you time to pot/run away/log/whatever.

Obviously it's not as good as having spell block up 100% of the time, since it doesn't do shit if you get spelled down to low-life and then get attacked the rest of the way, but it is a nice cost effective way to mitigate getting bursted down from getting hit by many spells at once.
"

finally someone shares my enthusiasm for this combo..

Yep, it's a great combo, it seems people are number crunching only and they don't actually try out how well it works.
Yes, it's good to have max spellblock all the time, but that needs raibowstride plus that shitty amulet which is garbage for melee and that's still only 75%, so you need max block too to be effective. With this shield only, you get max spellblock even if you don't have max block. It's huge.
- taking a trip to Belize, I'm so excited! -
Disagree on the shield to be honest, it's not useful for true low-lifers since they don't really need spell block and it's very unreliable for life based since you already have to be low in which case probably something else will kill you and if it's only spell-based attacks you are relying on a fluke to save you. Not really skilled play.

Far better to have smaller spell block at full health because then you probs won't reach low-life.

On the other hand, I think the chest is beautiful for the DPS and survivability boost.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Nov 23, 2014, 5:31:38 AM
this shield' case once more answers the question 'why im doing so well in real life..' - it seems that 'understanding' isnt as common as i think it is

this shield solves the only problem of ev/dodge/block builds - spells. chance of being hit (attack) with 50% EV / 55% dodge and 60% block are minimal. it happens (oh well) but it is insignificant. doing maps with double reflect is not a problem at all

spells are first cut by a dodge chance, then by OVERPOWERED AS F.. Vaal Grace and Rumi's flask and if they still manage to get me to low life the 75% spell block kicks in

it is clunky - sure. cannot rival with RMT setups of MAX EVERYTHING ALLLLL THE TIME. sure. but it works.

it is that beautiful concept of 'enough' that i think pretty much noone cares about and maxes stuff one does not need. this applies to real life, too
"
sidtherat wrote:

this shield solves the only problem of ev/dodge/block builds - spells.

I doubt this shield is needed to get max spellblock.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info