I think most gamers misunderstand Path of Exile

I just don't think people really get what's so good about this game. I don't know what i'm going to say with that, i just somehow wish it was more apparent and clear what this game is all about, and that you would quicker get to the core of the game quality with less distractions and things.

For example i ran into this guy the other day and we ended up talking about games. He apparently loved Diablo 2 as well, but when i mentioned i was playing PoE atm he was like "i hear that's just a wannabe diablo clone", he didn't say wannabe, but that was the vibe i felt, and the rep that poe got apparently.

Be it the introduction to the game, the tediousness of getting powerful to the serious investments you need to start being at home in the game, i just don't think it gets the message across very clearly, it's very rough around the edges still.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
carrot and stick, man.
whole lot of randomized stick, but also quite a bit of carrot in the form of all the skills, mechanics, customizations and possible passive tree paths.

it's a good formula to keep people addicted, really.

addicted, trading, and buying MTX.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Nov 19, 2014, 4:12:05 PM
I could not agree more.

These forums are microcosm of that very phenomenon.

This game diverges greatly from the common trends in modern gaming, which can cause confusion and frustration for those used to the paradigm of modern gaming.

The problem is that they are not aware of this conflict and interpret their feelings of confusion and frustration as meaning there must be a flaw in the game. They then come to the forums or do some random internet research, or perhaps they had heard certain perspectives on the game before they tried it, and they use these reasons/perspectives as their reasons/perspectives for not enjoying the game.

Never taking a step back and playing/experiencing the game for what it is, on its terms.

I actually made a thread, out of frustration admittedly, about this very thing and the thought process of the modern gamer who "misunderstands" PoE.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1103544/page/1

It was slightly sarcastic obviously, but also hopefully, slightly insightful to those who may not even understand why they are frustrated by PoE and cant get past that to actually give it an honest chance.

Noblesse oblige
My favorite game is orginal d3 before 1.3 carebear patch. I long for the good old days of super hard inferno, when this was the prevalent tactic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

What glorious days those were! Original inferno was much more fun and challenging than just plowing through a ton of mobs at full speed in short runs where the only challenge is how fast are you going to clear an area. ppl whined like crazy like they do here and drop rate buffed and monster nerfed to the ground and ruined the game imo.

sadly both poe and d3 are akin to arm wrestling children cept uber for most builds but u spend 99% of time facerolling.

i never play d2 tq was my first arpg but nothing compares with d3 insane original inferno.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Nov 20, 2014, 2:31:52 AM
"
I think most gamers misunderstand Path of Exile

Around 2 years ago i was just looking for an alternative for my all time favourite games which are Smurfs-Online and Farmville (beside Bingo and counting atoms) and i totally fell in love with POE once i found it so no more Farmville or Smurfs anymore and i understand and i always understood POE, its just like Farmville but with stuff and such.
- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Nov 20, 2014, 2:07:24 PM
"
I could not agree more.

This game diverges greatly from the common trends in modern gaming, which can cause confusion and frustration for those used to the paradigm of modern gaming.

Ah yes modern gaming... for millions of people, Skyrim was their first RPG ever. Fucking 'Walking Simulator: Minimap Marker Edition' is what they will measure every coming RPG against. That's why the new iteration of Dragon Age is utter shit (m-muh open world). That's why we can't have nice things, developers will try to copy Skyrim for years to come. RPGs are kill.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:

Ah yes modern gaming... for millions of people, Skyrim was their first RPG ever. Fucking 'Walking Simulator: Minimap Marker Edition' is what they will measure every coming RPG against. That's why the new iteration of Dragon Age is utter shit (m-muh open world). That's why we can't have nice things, developers will try to copy Skyrim for years to come. RPGs are kill.

Yeah, this video describes it pretty well, other genre though:

If quake was made today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
^ Anecdote: I just bought the Spiderweb RPG collection when it was on sale at GoG. It's something I'd wanted to do for a while, having heard a little bit about Jeff Vogel (the sole developer of all 14 games in said bundle) here and there over the years. I started with his very first game, Avernum, and in spite of all its flaw (they aren't many, but they're pretty obvious) I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with an RPG... and I bought Skyrim the day it came out.

I'd be amused to see people's reactions to these games, especially the new generation of gamers whose first experiences were with Skyrim, or Halo, or w/e. Certainly, "they just don't make bears like they used to," though that's not to say all modern conventions are bad.. but I do believe going mainstream was the death of a good game.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Make a good game. People will play it. Quit trying to make THE good game. No one will play that.
to be fair, D2 also had fast pace, almost faceroll gameplay. and since PoE is a (in)direct offspring...well you get the point.

the D3 pre-inferno was fun to a point, but also overkill from ARPG perspective.
basically it was ONLY fun because it was ridiculously scaled. there wasnt much difficulty in that game besides insane damage output from mobs that made all classes/builds play like glasscannon. it was fun because it was nearly impossible to do;

"
Xavderion wrote:
"
I could not agree more.

Im also pretty disappointed with Skyrim becoming the 'go to' RPG game. its not a bad game, but on the whole TES series have been about exploring moreso than actual roleplay and story, even in daggerfall.
As TES series progressed, more and more emphasis was placed on open world than on roleplaying, writing, characters, interesting quests and choices.

I mean, as someone who likes RPGs a lot, TES was always one of my least favorite series. and its sad to see, at least to me, that (a well-made) GTA of RPGs is now considered to be the canon for RPGs. true, Im not a huge open world fan, but still...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info