New player templar/marauder build questions

So I just downloaded Path of Exile a few days ago and have been playing a good amount since then. I've never really played a game like PoE before, the closest thing to it for me is probably World of Warcraft which I haven't played in a very long time, or maybe Priston Tale, which most people probably haven't heard of and I only played for a short time anyway.

Anyways, I began the game as a templar and leveled up to lvl 19 just putting skill points into skills I thought were most beneficial at the time, not realizing that, unlike WoW, you cannot just reset them for gold once you hit a higher level. After doing some research on some templar builds I noticed that mine did not match up with any of them; surprise, surprise. Here is a link to the build I have so far (only up to lvl 19).

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fO2hn1TYG3yzsy31XWCm52AgzgUTQSzAnHwHw==

After realizing I had messed it up I rerolled a Marauder and followed this basic build that I found on the forums:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAxthYY_ZIjM89_F8_7w4nL-Of-6qgtPMGwQSnMJ7NVbUYkVBHFCB25yKvOFPSISftGS7ZYVcNhxlsFvxLfNlyqayqDhTLQxnpwBpZ85BVGjinhGaeNugB5zJ-OlIaVWSj7tkGOXnA3B2bg4TvYSHDhl4TrK_nkSmlTiq2QUMxG8hbr5AK3Q1KfYd2Z6D8xRR1pMLewRT2a9mGO2BLeu907QUtr42kOdCBR-Ii4hUgLOk94rfT18ujiu4OVvobrUjuTZIj9o190Ta8n6SsY6fdRhGBzNuLTw==

It has been going okay but my issue is I seem to be having a much more difficult time in dungeons with the marauder (dying more, clearing waves more slowly, etc.) than I was with the templar. With the templar I basically just ran through clearing waves with lightning tendrils. The bosses were a little bit harder as they had more health, but I cleared the waves so quickly that they barely had any time to do any damage to me. With the Marauder I mostly spam Molten Strike, but even with the increased health and elemental damage from skills it's taking me much longer to clear waves and kill many of the bosses that spam out wave after wave.

Is my templar build just some temporary leveling build that will eventually not be very effective, or am I just doing something wrong with the marauder that is causing all these problems?

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks.
My suggestion is always 1.2.0 [Newbie Friendly] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

I followed it as my first character and I thought it was a really good aproach for someone starting this game.

Regarding the talent tree you are following, the build is not the talent tree alone, but you have to think it with the gem setup and gear in mind also. I don't know where you found it, but it's really common for builds to be thought only for late game, so it can be tricky to level up with to reach the endgame if you don't know what you are doing.

Without knowing your gear/gem setup/current level/skill tree the only thing I can point out is that you are doing something terrible wrong if you are having this problems at normal difficulty.
IGN - Peonsius
my characters/739743 - standard shop/511367
You probably have bad gear on your marauder. Molten strike has no restrictions other than requiring a melee weapon, so I would suggest getting hold of a decent 2h for the time being, and getting life and resists on as many armour pieces as possible. Learning some vendor recipes will make levelling easier, in particular: a weapon+rustic sash+whetstone when sold to the vendor will yield a magic weapon with %increased physical damage. Check the wiki for more info.

It is also important to keep in mind that as you level, you should build around what you need, rather than following a guide exactly.

Eg. If you lack damage or life then spec accordingly. Likewise if you need extra stats or resists, you will get 18 free respec points from quests (6 per difficulty), so you can always spec out of those few passives as your gear improves.

Lightning tendrils is considered more of a levelling skills, although the damage gets very high lategame, the small radius results in many people dropping it. If you like the skill then you can invest in some aoe and you can use it for as long as you like.

In general, spells are easier to level with as you mostly need gem levels and the right support gems to have good clearspeed. Once you are comfortable with trading you can level quickly either way though.

PoE is a great game but it takes some dedication to really get into it.

Good luck!
My builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629242
Okay, thanks a lot for the advice!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info