Rarity on Characters

I am amazed at how everything in POE can be rolled. So it was just natural to go down the same path for characters as well. So here is an idea that just popped into my head.

All Character classes may/may not start with an implicit roll:

Normal Difficulty - Reroll / Add an implicit roll to your character, on reaching a certain stage/act.

Cruel - Character Reaches Magic Tier and rolls a suffix and prefix to the character. This also gives the character a Prefix and a Suffix to their Name depending on the rolls.

Merciless - Character Reaches Rare tier and roll 3 suffixes and prefixes. Character gains a title that is decided by the combination of stat rolls on the character.

I think it give a little bit of an identity to each build with the Titles that are granted to the character. This could also be a replacement for the current bandit quests, or independent of it depending on how it affects game balance.

Characters can Reroll their stats with currencies just like they can with their gear. Rerolling can only be done in hideouts/towns at some special altar by offering currency.

For the future if Cruel is gonna be a goner, then the magic tier can be reached for the character in Act4 in Normal and Rare tier in Act 4 in Merciless.

Thoughts??
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
this would make players stop their char and reroll it every time ... sorry i think it will be more of a hassle then anything else
I like the general idea of being able to rolls buffs and curses onto characters as an end game mechanic, which would also give reasons to reroll the character.

Imagine getting 7 fire penetration as such an item. Do you re-spec the character into fire arrow, flameblast, or simply add some fire damage and drop some other damage (auras or etc.) Or, perhaps you completely re-roll a new character because you were hoping for crit.

Giving people reasons to reroll at end game is not such a bad thing.

I'd also like to be able to sacrifice a character to the gods in such a scenario for some payout, even if just 1 chance orb per level.
Spoiler

Image might be a bit too wide to fit. Please scroll to see the full image.

Here is something what I had in mind. You can forget some of the things I said in my first post. The idea is to make every character a metaphorical white item whose iLvl is the character's level.

The implicit mods can be re-rolled using a cheap currency like wisdom scrolls or TP scrolls. You can only re-roll implicits when you are a "white" character. You can roll magic tier or Rare tier just like you would roll items. All the currencies behave exactly the same and the rolls you get depend on iLvl which will be in this case the character's level.

This discourages early rolling as the returns are fairly low and the progression of rolling better rolls on your character keeps it interesting and persistent, and also random. Pray to RNGesus!!! Your character is the only in-disposable equipment you can have, as all other items you find, you will eventually outgrow, in terms of item levels. So it gives a better initiative to have some good persistent rolls that are good for your overall build on your character.

This will bring in a huge balancing challenge for GGG, but hey! it also brings in a whole new progression dynamic. It is in-fact very similar to item crafting mechanic, so it will be fairly intuitive.

The rolls above are just my thoughts on what they could be like. Ofcourse people can pitch in their own ideas!!
i do like the implicits tough not to much on the others.

the implicit would help further focus a class on its role. tough i do think it should have a bit more implicit options. (like 5-6) -> the 3 now + 1 from each of the 2 classes nearby. seeing as you can go totems on a marauder and on a witch aswel.
Sure!! These were just some of the ideas I had in mind. I guess there can be an implicit for each viable build style of a class. With a bit more research and input I can nail those down.

The Prefix/Suffix list is also just an indication of what they could be. There need to be more than just those. Also classifying them into suffix/prefix will also take some nuanced balancing. Frankly I don't know if I will be able to come up with a complete set of mods on my own. But I guess I can flesh out the mods with some help.
Though I can see what you're getting at, I feel a problem could arise in that this game is based on gear and the flexibility of using any of the base characters for just about any spec one would want. Having a "roll" for some stat or perk could really cause issues for players who have an end-game plan. Is this roll random, or do you suggest we get to "craft" it? Also, can it be undone if a person later decides it doesn't fit with their spec?

Just some thoughts...
The idea is to be constantly be able to roll what you want on to your character as you progress. As I mentioned, Implicits can be rolled at anytime by Scouring all the mods out. This is so that you can initially roll an implicit that will help you level. Also not having a permanent implicit will help players adapt as they level.

The mid level rolling will probably happen only for the magic tier where you might try and get a levelling mod by alt spamming your self. Anything beyond will most likely be not worth it, but the players can do it anyway if they want.

End game will probably involve scouring and starting over, since all the mods you would have would be from a lower tier of rolls because the rolls are based on Character level for iLvl scaling. Since end-game is where your build would come together, one would respec the entire character with new high tier rolls.

As for the idea of crafting specific mods, I feel they are just mechanics that can be added to the game once a system like this is in place. Just like vendor recipes, we can have sacrificial recipes that can help you get the specific mod one would want. Even a new Master can be put in to help you change yourself in a specific manner(a philosopher maybe???).
One problem is that all of the mods mentioned thus far are all the same mods we know on our items. So why not step it up and make it truly unique?

The character uses items, gems, and other things, yes? Why not make the mods about the things they use.

So instead of increased physical damage, they can have a boost to strength. Either an increased effectiveness of strength or increased strength. Instead of 1 life per 2 strength, you can get 2 life per 3 strength.

Instead of increased cast speed, minion damage, or an additional arrow, why not have the character gain a bonus based on the selection of gems they use. For example, an Incinerate build might favor Added Cold Damage for a dex gem bonus instead of Added Chaos/Lightning Damage, since both are blue.

This not only further increases decision-making for gearing and gems, but adds a new flavor to the game.
That seems like a really cool idea. Most of the mods I posted are derived from the current items and passives. But what you mentioned brings a whole new dimension to gem socketing and stats. I like the idea of attaching socketed gem colors to character effectiveness. The more gems of a color you have, the more the benefits stack.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info