Sorry GGG, but after this I'm gone

"
ExiledRenor wrote:
Graphics are irrelevant, the aestethics are important. Unfortunatly PoE is very bad in this aspect.
I mean: just look at the character models or the new STR helmets...

Good thing though is, that the gameplay makes at least 95% of the quality of a game (unless you are a visual drone).

Hm imo it's the other way round, while PoE suffers from a somewhat low poly count and questionable lighting (this game could use some DX11), it has very pleasing aesthethics.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
An ARPG that released a trailer that shows big swords cute chicks and dragons always looks promising.
NOT
POE never released a trailer without focusing at the insane skill tree and customization of the game. This focuses on fancy visuals and it will suck badly.
Obviously
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Heyya, Komle! I remember you from way back in Closed Beta!

It'd be a real shame to see you go, now. Yeah, I understand the appeal of something new after three years of PoE, but stop and consider: You can play that, and PoE, too. They're definitely NOT the same beast (more on that inna moment), so you can enjoy the variety.

ZiggyD did an initial (and cautiously enthusiastic) review of Lost Ark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLODUYRRUE4

I also looked at the whole trailer, which Zig linked below his vid. I came away with a coupla things...

Lost Ark is a graphically-lush entry in a very well-established Korean gaming genre. As such, it may be expected to conform to some conventions which you might find less palatable. Comparing it to D2 on a viewing of that trailer, alone, is perilous; we all wanted that Holy Grail of the "Real Diablo 3," but I was frankly more reminded of the real Diablo 3. Pay attention to how the bodies fall. The animations are limited, which made the game visually boring, to my eye. The huge, flashy, over-the-top attacks concealed a number of skills which could've been lifted from PoE (I can't comment on their relevance to D3, as I've never played it).

And then, there's the issue of when (or even if) this new game will be functionally available outside its parent market. You may have to wait quite a bit before you get the opportunity to try it, yourself. Meanwhile, dun toss out the PoE baby with the bathwater. PoE gains new content as time goes on, new permutations of the competitive formats available. If you're still a bit weary of PoE, take a break, mebbe even from the ARPG genre. But PoE will remain for when you're in the mood for... PoE.

Meanwhile, Lost Ark will undoubtedly release actual gameplay footage, and translated details may become available, providing a more accurate idea of what the game will actually be like. Finally, dun put too many hopes on this, at least, not without more info. After all, I remember how hopeful we all were about a certain other Diablo 2 successor, until we found out what was in it... =^[.]^=
From a friend who can read Korean, this game will be release oversea and the beta will be starting sometime next year(Korea).

So I will say we may able to try the beta around this time next year. (As I dont think they will hold it til 2016 as according to their dev stage it is not far way from closed beta release)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1119850
Selling Crit Bow ilvl 68-75 (Mostly White)
H'n'S players still fall for flashy trailers? *sigh*
"
htblind wrote:
IT HAS DRAGONS ! ....BYE POE ! :))

I always wondered why POE does not have any dragons?
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
I see someone found the Soul Calibour sword! Thats good since the trailer shows nothing about loot..
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Heyya, Komle! I remember you from way back in Closed Beta!

It'd be a real shame to see you go, now. Yeah, I understand the appeal of something new after three years of PoE, but stop and consider: You can play that, and PoE, too. They're definitely NOT the same beast (more on that inna moment), so you can enjoy the variety.

ZiggyD did an initial (and cautiously enthusiastic) review of Lost Ark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLODUYRRUE4

I also looked at the whole trailer, which Zig linked below his vid. I came away with a coupla things...

Lost Ark is a graphically-lush entry in a very well-established Korean gaming genre. As such, it may be expected to conform to some conventions which you might find less palatable. Comparing it to D2 on a viewing of that trailer, alone, is perilous; we all wanted that Holy Grail of the "Real Diablo 3," but I was frankly more reminded of the real Diablo 3. Pay attention to how the bodies fall. The animations are limited, which made the game visually boring, to my eye. The huge, flashy, over-the-top attacks concealed a number of skills which could've been lifted from PoE (I can't comment on their relevance to D3, as I've never played it).

And then, there's the issue of when (or even if) this new game will be functionally available outside its parent market. You may have to wait quite a bit before you get the opportunity to try it, yourself. Meanwhile, dun toss out the PoE baby with the bathwater. PoE gains new content as time goes on, new permutations of the competitive formats available. If you're still a bit weary of PoE, take a break, mebbe even from the ARPG genre. But PoE will remain for when you're in the mood for... PoE.

Meanwhile, Lost Ark will undoubtedly release actual gameplay footage, and translated details may become available, providing a more accurate idea of what the game will actually be like. Finally, dun put too many hopes on this, at least, not without more info. After all, I remember how hopeful we all were about a certain other Diablo 2 successor, until we found out what was in it... =^[.]^=

Hey Ray,

first of all, let me tell you that I have strong tendency to use hyperbole and humor, so my claim that I will quit PoE was supposed to be the part of that hype. Since I made a mistake of not putting smiley face at the end of the statement, I can see how it could be misconstrued as a malicious statement.
I assure you, I meant no such thing.

Anyway, been playing this game for 3 years, and going strong! :)
Here and there I vent my frustration about trade system, but overall, I had a good run (if only I died less in hc) :(

Regarding the game - I'll admit that it is premature to look forward to a good product, especially when you consider that PoE had to have years of painstaking optimization, community feedback, skill and gameplay balance to come to where it is now.
Even now there are few things which have to be brushed out, but overall, I consider it a well oiled machine.

Unfortunately, even if Lost ark does come out, and is in its essence a good game, it will take an additional few years to iron out all imbalances and add strategic depth to it with new skills, mechanics, and such.

Regarding Diablo 3 - you won't believe me, but I really never had high hopes for it. The first time I saw the engine, I new what's up.
Sure, I bought it and played it, but only because of the curiosity and emotional attachment to D2. After a month I sold the copy and never looked back.

At the same time I found about PoE, and although I liked the idea with gems and gameplay from the beginning, I would be lying if said that I wasn't initially attracted because of the visual appearance of the game.

I'll try to lower the expectations for Lost ark, but man, I really hope they don't fuck it up and repeat another D3 fiasco.
Last edited by Tank_The_Shredder_Evans on Nov 18, 2014, 6:00:18 AM
BTW, thanks for Ziggy's link! :)
TC, you'd get hyped up over a freaking trailer in a day and age where overhyped + overrated games seem like the standard?

The game looks too Final Fantasyish. That dude on horseback looked nearly identical to Odin in FF games. So close, I'd even say its practically a rip off. Are they too lazy to come up with something original?
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Nov 18, 2014, 6:10:09 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
TC, you'd get hyped up over a freaking trailer in a day and age where overhyped + overrated games seem like the standard?

The game looks too Final Fantasyish. That dude on horseback looked nearly identical to Odin in FF games. So close, I'd even say its practically a rip off. Are they too lazy to come up with something original?

What's original in this day of age? Poe for example is last in line to be called original - in many aspects it's a copy of D2, and it's not like GGG tries to hide it. Not only this is not a downside, but it's one of the biggest strenghts of the game and we're all glad that handful of people undertook the task of improving upon this quality formula.

If they can take (or steal as you like to call it) good ideas from hundreds of games and sensibly incorporate them into theirs, while at the same time improving them, then I am all for it.
Last edited by Tank_The_Shredder_Evans on Nov 18, 2014, 6:40:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info