Sorry GGG, but after this I'm gone

Not much in the trailer aside from flashy animations and interesting effects. What concerns me more is that in none of the "game play" footage do we see any loot or items dropping. Looks like an Asian take on the classic ARPG which could mean that the system is highly linear and lacks flexibility in character progression like so many of the MMOs targeted to that region.

I'll get hyped when they release some information about itemization and character progression.
Pant of Exile,Path of Gamer.
This game is an illusion, player.
Thanks for that, OP. That trailer did exactly what a trailer should do - get me interested. Stunning visuals and really cool spell/ability effects. If it's not an economy sim AND they don't have desync issues, it may be the first Korean MMO I've tried again in years.

Two things make me wary, tho. It's a Korean MMO. And it's a Korean MMO. Here's noping it's not a pay to reduce the grind/win type of F2P MMO.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

Whats this allegiance stuff? Identity gamers? I got like 30 games in steam I play and from looks of it I'll have another one. But being from Korea...better plan on worse drops then here lol.
Git R Dun!
Hopefully the ping won't be too bad.
I am sending you this message to let you know that I have removed your signature as it is designed to mislead others. Please refrain from using similar signatures in the future. - Rob_GGG
Holy shit the artwork in that game is like an exact copy of blizzard's d3/wow.

That aside, looks like a decent game for one or two run-throughs, very unlikely it will even touch the depth in character building/customization that PoE has.
Heyya, Komle! I remember you from way back in Closed Beta!

It'd be a real shame to see you go, now. Yeah, I understand the appeal of something new after three years of PoE, but stop and consider: You can play that, and PoE, too. They're definitely NOT the same beast (more on that inna moment), so you can enjoy the variety.

ZiggyD did an initial (and cautiously enthusiastic) review of Lost Ark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLODUYRRUE4

I also looked at the whole trailer, which Zig linked below his vid. I came away with a coupla things...

Lost Ark is a graphically-lush entry in a very well-established Korean gaming genre. As such, it may be expected to conform to some conventions which you might find less palatable. Comparing it to D2 on a viewing of that trailer, alone, is perilous; we all wanted that Holy Grail of the "Real Diablo 3," but I was frankly more reminded of the real Diablo 3. Pay attention to how the bodies fall. The animations are limited, which made the game visually boring, to my eye. The huge, flashy, over-the-top attacks concealed a number of skills which could've been lifted from PoE (I can't comment on their relevance to D3, as I've never played it).

And then, there's the issue of when (or even if) this new game will be functionally available outside its parent market. You may have to wait quite a bit before you get the opportunity to try it, yourself. Meanwhile, dun toss out the PoE baby with the bathwater. PoE gains new content as time goes on, new permutations of the competitive formats available. If you're still a bit weary of PoE, take a break, mebbe even from the ARPG genre. But PoE will remain for when you're in the mood for... PoE.

Meanwhile, Lost Ark will undoubtedly release actual gameplay footage, and translated details may become available, providing a more accurate idea of what the game will actually be like. Finally, dun put too many hopes on this, at least, not without more info. After all, I remember how hopeful we all were about a certain other Diablo 2 successor, until we found out what was in it... =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
While it looks great, here are the downsides:

1. Western release will take at least 3 years, probably more.
2. It will be very MMOish (some people already complain PoE is too much MMO lol, this will be way worse)
3. It will be pay2win, I guarantee it.
4. It will be grindy as fuck, imagine PoE but ten times worse.
5. You now realize point 4 makes point 3 even worse.
6. Customization/variety will probably be on D3 level aka bland as fuck.
7. The only longevity will come from grinding your brains out to get higher numbers.

Overall I'm literally not hyped. Koreans can into bombastic looking actiony gameplay, but everything else is kinda shit.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Ethnic cleansings like that are a requirement to successfull gamedevelopment.
There could be nothing better for PoE than all those auctionhouse-lovers, which only aim for instant gratification-singlebuttonklickinstantshavronnes-youwinthisone,myfriend-guys
leaving for next best illusionary thing.

Or having a break, how they call it nowadays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Graphics are irrelevant, the aestethics are important. Unfortunatly PoE is very bad in this aspect.
I mean: just look at the character models or the new STR helmets...

Good thing though is, that the gameplay makes at least 95% of the quality of a game (unless you are a visual drone).
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Nov 18, 2014, 3:46:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info