A PSA for everyone who intends installing Dragon Age: Inquisition on his SSD

Told you lol they went super serial mode doing this anti pirate garbage.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Told you lol they went super serial mode doing this anti pirate garbage.

Anti piracy gone wrong.

From this game i saw a lets play, looked ok, wanted to test it, DRM screws me and i rather watch the lets play than playing it.

Well, I'm in luck, I got a modded PS3. Its been collecting dust for awhile, at least since I played Dark Souls 2 on it. And you can find a pirated copy of the PS3/360 version that works on modded systems no problem. Rofl, bioware fail. Still pirating this shit. Did I mention I hate bioware as a company?

FYI I actually buy games from companies who aren't complete douchebags.

Witcher 3 looks a lot more promising than DA:I. But I'll actually buy that game, because I like CDPR.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Nov 18, 2014, 4:58:21 AM
It's shit like this why I won't buy a DA game anymore although I enjoyed DA:O a lot.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data tracking.
Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code are fcked around between RAM and HDD in the span of one hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bull**** usage of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though code chunks are quite small (couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for 4-8 hours(depends on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye to that block."

The same DRM is being used for Dragon Age. Source: http://gamemag.ru/news/drm-zashchita-dragon-ageinquisition-denuvo-antitamper-ubivaet-ssdhdd-101753

TL;DR: Install it on your HDD. Or don't support games that use shitty DRM.

Thanks Xav for this psa,

I dont play dragon age, and dont have an SSD, but I want an SSD, and more and more
games are gonna be employing encryption like this and I can understand why (esp for a single
player, or offline game... easiest to pirate.)

I will consider this in the future, those with both SSD's and dragon age
will be greatful for your headsup.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data tracking.
Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code are fcked around between RAM and HDD in the span of one hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bull**** usage of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though code chunks are quite small (couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for 4-8 hours(depends on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye to that block."

The same DRM is being used for Dragon Age. Source: http://gamemag.ru/news/drm-zashchita-dragon-ageinquisition-denuvo-antitamper-ubivaet-ssdhdd-101753

TL;DR: Install it on your HDD. Or don't support games that use shitty DRM.

I have seen this on a few forums now. But as here it is walays a friend of a friend told me......

Is there any more evidence that this is a problem? Or actually happening? I did not think that SSDs worked in this way.

#askforevidence

Anybody computer scientists out there that could comment?

Forum signature
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Well, I'm in luck, I got a modded PS3. Its been collecting dust for awhile, at least since I played Dark Souls 2 on it. And you can find a pirated copy of the PS3/360 version that works on modded systems no problem. Rofl, bioware fail. Still pirating this shit. Did I mention I hate bioware as a company?

Witcher 3 looks a lot more promising than DA:I. But I'll actually buy that game, because I like CDPR.

Yeah Witcher 3 looks flawless buying that for sure AND FREE DLC yeeee
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Yeah Witcher 3 looks flawless buying that for sure AND FREE DLC yeeee

Free DLC? Sounds too good to be true. Today the gaming industry shoots itself in 1 leg because of silly DRM and in the other because of overpriced games and on top of that overpriced DLC. And they wonder why people pirate their games...
They really did say all DLC will be free. I pre-ordered as soon as I heard that.
Yeah as soon as you buy it and install it's literally installed right away lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info