Guide to map pool management

"
Ishiga25 wrote:
Good god thank you for this effort. We've needed a good updated version of this for a long long time now. I'm lost about optimizing my maps with what roles work best.

Optimizing maps hasn't changed since forever. Pack Size/Magic is all you need.

This was my Beyond pool before I died and I ran every single map blue. I only chiselled 76 maps:
Spoiler
"

"

"

Cartographer's Boxes ensure that you will have a pool. You could literally run every map with the first champions/hordes you got and you'd be fine.
Last edited by Lyralei on Nov 17, 2014, 2:00:45 AM
my few cents:

- DO NOT ROLL maps below 70, 69 if you are just starting. low lvl maps drop like crazy - and these 'worthless' alts do add up. each two rolls == 1jeweler. do you really want to throw jewelers away?

- use transmutes ONLY if you know you can handle most mods (stuff like no-reg, blood magic are exceptions - these should go anyway)

- 'pack size', 'more magic mobs' and 'twin bosses' are the best rolls XP and map-wise. many people do not use alchemy orbs until 75maps

one can start doing maps as soon as he is in merciless. Zana portal device works. I level my alts like that: go to cruel domino, kill him, kill hillock, go zana -> 66 map. if i can do them comfortably and xp is ok (you are too low lvl for 100% xp) ill continue and do remaining quests around 70. if the xp penalty is too harsh - go do normal skill point quests

lvl 66 maps are easier than act3merc and a lot more profitable

Maps are pretty easy to sustain i find i get way more than i have space.You prob need to buy a few 66s or 71s at the right time/level then your good to go
You guys seems to know your business.

My problem is specifically with 74-75+ maps. Those are really, really expensive. Right now, within my wealth range, I'll I can afford is 1c fee party groups - when then happen. Sometimes, there is just nobody doing that.

Best advise I read here is that one concerning Alt + strongbox until you get cartographer mod. That's interesting because the outcome of a cart box, on a map 74-75+, might be enough to keep running maps on the same level. I do not enjoy trading (just do that eventually). So I'll try to do this strongbox thing.
Good post birdy, wish my internet would allow HC leagues :(.
"
sidtherat wrote:
many people do not use alchemy orbs until 75maps

in current 'meta', there is no reason to roll anything but blue maps up until 77 and possibly 78

I hate that the difficult mods are replaced by blue map, which is usually size/magic/rare + 1 mod

but theres no more effective way of doing it

the only currency you can (and I do) spend a lot is chisels. the recipe makes them dirt cheap and you can spend chisels as early as 73s. just by leveling alts and checking vendor every level for hammers/gavels/etc and having some whetstones and garbage low level maps gives you tons of chisels.

as far as alchs, chaos etc zero point to use them because a carto box in a 77 or 78 is strictly better than a carto in a 76. you save real currency like alchs, chaos, scour to roll a box in 77/78, not in 76.

I think a good strategy is to run the highest maps you can and have, unless you are very short on maps in general. Again, with cartos and Zana in maps being strictly higher level in higher level maps, there is literally zero point to run lower maps with crazy quantity.

also, get Zana to as high level as possible ASAP. dailies will drop maps as high as 76 or even 77, etc.
the quality bonus is great too.

now, I play in standard so YMMV, but to sustain a pool right now is really easy imo. another reason why you can just jump to higher maps with your alt instead of doing lower ones when they give you close to 100% exp- higher maps will give you much higher cartos, which in turn will get your pool fat. endgame is basically centered around 77s and 78s nowadays
Last edited by grepman on Nov 18, 2014, 12:13:36 AM
"
junaum wrote:
Best advise I read here is that one concerning Alt + strongbox until you get cartographer mod.

And its a wrong advice, or you understood it incorrect: 'cartographer' is NOT a mod, but a TYPE of strongbox: and these CAN NOT be rolled. So you have to FIND a "Cartographer's Strongbox" and then Alt/Aug//Alch the best out of them (additional items, quantity, mirrored...)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Waves_blade wrote:
Good post birdy, wish my internet would allow HC leagues :(.

The only thing more fun than getting carried by waves on the beach is getting carried by waves in path of exile.

;-)

I hope you get an internet upgrade sometime! And thanks for checking out the post.
Looking for more guild members for races/4 month hc leagues, pm for info
so if i'm sustaining 73s and have a surplus of lower ones (i ran out of whetstones long ago, i'm transmuting 3 same maps and vendoring them), what would be optimal? trying to sell them or buy whetstones and make them chisels?

i'm maintaining a stashtab of 66-71s (2 rows of each level) and another tab with higher maps
"
potepuh wrote:
so if i'm sustaining 73s and have a surplus of lower ones (i ran out of whetstones long ago, i'm transmuting 3 same maps and vendoring them), what would be optimal? trying to sell them or buy whetstones and make them chisels?

i'm maintaining a stashtab of 66-71s (2 rows of each level) and another tab with higher maps

Although it depends on what league you are in, generally lower level maps are not worth much.

You might as well buy hammers/whetstones as needed, if you can get decent rates and make chisels, with maps 66-68, try to sell and trade your other maps that are 69-72 for currency or trade for other maps, If you can find someone to trade you 2 73s for 5 72s etc.

If you cannot find someone to give you a trade like that, then try to sell for orbs if possible and then buy 73s.

If the market is just too dead to sell any of your maps, another option you can try is to trade your 69-70 maps for whetstones/hammers, sometimes its easier to find people to trade when it doesn't involve orbs.

If all else fails and you cannot get any sort of map trades going then I'd say just use your under 70 maps for chisels and run/vendor recipe up your 70+ maps as needed.

That is based on your current map pool.

I generally vendor recipe up anything under 74 with my pool, although I keep some lower easy/safe maps for when I roll new chars, or my internet is laggy and I need safe/easy maps.

Everything is really slow right now, so it is hard to really get a lot done in terms of useful
trading at the moment :-/
Looking for more guild members for races/4 month hc leagues, pm for info
Last edited by TEBird on Nov 24, 2014, 9:36:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info