Crit "Nerf" compromise solution?

Disclaimer that I haven't really been following the threads, so apologies if this has been suggested before.

I think the biggest complaint against Crit is that it's too easy to significantly out-DPS non-Crit builds. But on the other hand, I don't think that simply nerfing Crit Damage, or capping Crit Chance/Multi is the answer - it would make the game less fun to simply make everyone do less damage.

So my proposal is - make Accuracy a stat you have to pay a lot more attention to when not using Resolute Technique. If going Crit meant you are forced to take 3-4 more Accuracy nodes or have 300+ crit on all your jewelry to maximize effectiveness, then I think the extra effort it takes to make it work will justify the added damage.

Thoughts?
It's not a bad idea perse, thematically it makes a lot of sense.

The issue is that you would catch far more people in the crossfire than would be warranted under the circumstances. I like the idea of giving the occasional rare monster some mechanic that mitigates some of the damage/reflects more damage.

Reflect was supposed to be a counter to all this crit madness. Because of Vaal Pact, reflect has failed. Something new needs to take it's place.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I don't know... crit is quite a huge passive investment. Its like 15-20 nodes and possibly more (needs crit nodes, crit multi nodes, accuracy nodes as well as these mods on gear). Thats a lot of sacrifice of survivability. Any non-low life crit build is a squishie compared to a RT user spending those 15-20 nodes elsewhere. And low life is very expensive so of course expensive builds should outperform cheaper builds.

I do think that RT should allow to inflict elemental status without critting. This is ridiculous that elemental effects are so much crit-oriented.
Last edited by Krayken on Nov 16, 2014, 11:30:17 AM
Solution is very simple buff other things not a hard concept.

Oh wait you got the kids saying power creeps hurrrrrrrrr man that ship sailed long ago the fuck; Do people even know what that shit is right now?

Example I'll do it right now

[GEM]
[Keystone]
[Fury Swipes]
~Critical strikes deal no damage
~Non critical strikes deal 100% more damage
~Attacks deal an additional +20% damage adding every attack stacking up to X times

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 16, 2014, 10:52:28 AM
"

Oh wait you got the kids saying power creeps hurrrrrrrrr man that ship sailed long ago the fuck; Do people even know what that shit is right now?

[GEM]
[Keystone]
[Fury Swipes]
~Attacks deal an additional +20% damage adding every attack stacking up to X times

Combine that RT =O
I worship ee-sama!
"

[GEM]
[Keystone]
[Fury Swipes]

I suggested a few things that would leave your character untouched (ok, un-nerfed)... would only change the environment in which the char exists. Throw some new, crit-mitigating monster affixes into the mix.

Buffing non-crit to the level of crit is a hamfisted way of balancing. You're talking about offering the illusion of choice, not an actual choice.

Crit will always have the benefit of providing infinite flask charges, proccing spells via CoC, proccing elemental status effects for "free", doing nifty things like causing poison or bleeding on hit with certain items... shit, isn't that enough to warrant some kind of balancing?

"
Antnee wrote:
"

[GEM]
[Keystone]
[Fury Swipes]

I suggested a few things that would leave your character untouched (ok, un-nerfed)... would only change the environment in which the char exists. Throw some new, crit-mitigating monster affixes into the mix.

Buffing non-crit to the level of crit is a hamfisted way of balancing. You're talking about offering the illusion of choice, not an actual choice.

Crit will always have the benefit of providing infinite flask charges, proccing spells via CoC, proccing elemental status effects for "free", doing nifty things like causing poison or bleeding on hit with certain items... shit, isn't that enough to warrant some kind of balancing?

You don't fuck with people's shit you buff other people's shit that's how it should be in fact they actually do that now thankfully as long as they keep it this road I'm happy. You don't fuck someone's shit up just to please people like you so you can stop whining, in truth both parties should be fucking happy that's how it is and that's how it should be.

End of story.

Here here I'll do it AGAIN

RT now has a 35% to gain a flask charge oh boy so fucking hard right?
Keystone - > critical strikes can not deal alignments - Non critical strikes have a 40% chance to cause a status effect at a 30% increased effect

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 16, 2014, 11:41:30 AM
"

You don't fuck with people's shit you buff other people's shit that's how it should be in fact they actually do that now thankfully as long as they keep it this road I'm happy. You don't fuck someone's shit up just to please people like you so you can stop whining, in truth both parties should be fucking happy that's how it is and that's how it should be.

Didn't realize my post was whiny. But, you do realize that the intent of reflect was to fuck with your shit, right? Is it? No? K. Then your shit needs fucking with.

"

RT now has a 35% to gain a flask charge oh boy so fucking hard right?
Keystone - > critical strikes can not deal alignments - Non critical strikes have a 40% chance to cause a status effect at a 30% increased effect

I guess you didn't read what you quoted. Offering the benefits/damage of crit to non-crit is only an illusion of choice. It's not balance. It's just avoiding balance.

"

''Power creep'' Please some of you don't fucking know the definition of power creep as I've stated that's long long gone ships sailed like pass in the fucking endless void or some shit.

So, tacking on more modifiers to non-crit isn't power creep? So, when non-crit reaches the DPS of crit, what would you suggest? Nerfing non-crit again, or buffing crit? Suddenly, we've painted ourselves into a situation which looks like... uh... Looks like... (I'm grasping, I'm reaching... whats the word for that?) Oh, power creep! Words: they mean things.

To be crystal clear, I'm not advocating that your char be touched in any way shape or form.

I'm advocating for a hard-counter to insane crit damage which was supposed to exist in the form of reflect, which has itself been completely mitigated through vaal pact, blocking, and what-have-you.

You want to fuck with my shit haha I don't know why you true to argue with me full well you're with the whiners / nerf crowd

Reflect doesn't do shit to me because I have acurity or vaal pact if in the new league. Reflect usually or was always never an issue all you did was not do the map or in most cases do something anti reflect on that single mob to counter reflect in my case on my ranger all I did was spam puncture traps and not do physical reflect maps.

You want people to be nerfed that's not how you do things how hard is that to understand? Why does it bother you that I can't die due to godly gear or for that fact matter in a new league all I have to do is play smart or take vaal pact or switch gems to counter reflect?

Not a hard concept there.

Reflect wasn't the hard counter btw to anything it was just annoying where you got that logic is beyond me maybe you haven't done top tier shit who knows or die terribly to it because you're doing something obviously wrong.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Nov 16, 2014, 11:53:28 AM
"

Reflect doesn't do shit to me...

Ah, so you DID read my reply! Good for you.

The point of reflect was always to be a hard-counter to high damage output. The game has changed in many, many ways since reflect was introduced, and in the current meta reflect is no longer a threat to anyone with large damage spikes. Sorry, you no longer have a (significant) hard-counter. Something has to give.

I'll leave it at that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info