low life and vision radius

Please look into taking away penalties for players who run HEALTH.RESERVED. builds. It is extremely aggravating when I am trying to do maps and walk RIGHT INTO MOBS BECAUSE I CANNOT SEE THEM.

Please, for low life builds - take this crap out. It is unnecessary and it isn't like this is "low life" for someone whose life after reserves is 20%. The intensity is the thrill of not being one shot, but I find it hard to find joy in it when I have ZERO CHANCE OF SURVIVING BECAUSE I CANNOT SEE WHAT IT IS THAT IS ATTACKING ME.
The reduced vision radius does make those low life fights more intense.

But when the life is reserved... it just makes dark areas aggravating.

Try going around in one of the caves in act 2.... you just get angry at not being able to see anything until its on you.

And you have 'full' life, because you've reserved it to get to "low life", but at 33% life you get a hit and all of a sudden are instantly blind
Hello,

Fun story: I began to run maps recently. Tried dried lake, OK nice, really fun, tried another dried lake with burning patches and stuff, really painfull for ES based character, but managed it.

Then I go down into the dungeon maps, and I say to myself, whaou, that is dark, REALLY dark, not diablo1-dark, something like head-in-a-oven dark. I thought it was due to the maps, reducing light radius in dungeon. So I say, ok, I am gonna trade those for dried one, because I can't play (died horribly cause of non-seing monsters, even after dropping a totem).

Then I go into the grotto map, and also the almost impossible to see darkness. And then I understood why when I removed my blood magic discipline+clarity, and saw the light again.

I really thinks this effect should take into account the maximum life AFTER reserved life for low-life builds, because It is really hard to see under these circumstance, and as a low-life character, we are already really tense on avoiding this little green bullets (you know, snakes ...)

I must say that my build is not very optimized, so I am below the 25% mark and the light radius at this point is almost inexistant.

PS: btw it could be a possible roll for magic maps: impenetrable darkness?
Last edited by downstroy on Mar 5, 2013, 7:48:55 AM
For indoors maps, Low Life means to deal with a fade to black radius where I couldn't tell if there's an obstacle or not, when casting a targetted spell.
The casting animation however goes off, whether it does what I want or not.

So let me suggest this once more:
Change the behaviour of casting targetted spells when the mouse pointer is floating on unwalkable geo in such that the skill is cast to the closest viable location in LoS.

In its current state it's unreliable and frustrating at times, while being on Low Life in cluttered (indoor) tilesets.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
So when something reserves your life (BM+Grace for instance), why not just make THAT your max life?

So if you reserve 80% of your life, then for it to get the redish low vision radius you'd need to be at 7% of your life instead of 35% (20%*35%=7%)

Wouldn't this solve every problem regarding this?

Also I think the effect is cool.

It is VERY NOTICEABLE, so if you are low on health, which is VERY DANGEROUS, you know instantly.
It also alerts you to just GET THE HELL OUT of wherever you are. You don't need vision radius for that, you just go to the nearest door, hit a flask and get out.
That is nice
Also when you are low on life and notice it, you are not likely to still be low on life (because of life leech/regeneration, flasks, etc), so it doesn't hinder the play that much.
"
gonzaw wrote:
So when something reserves your life (BM+Grace for instance), why not just make THAT your max life?

So if you reserve 80% of your life, then for it to get the redish low vision radius you'd need to be at 7% of your life instead of 35% (20%*35%=7%)

It is VERY NOTICEABLE, so if you are low on health, which is VERY DANGEROUS, you know instantly.
It also alerts you to just GET THE HELL OUT of wherever you are. You don't need vision radius for that, you just go to the nearest door, hit a flask and get out.
That is nice
Also when you are low on life and notice it, you are not likely to still be low on life (because of life leech/regeneration, flasks, etc), so it doesn't hinder the play that much.

there are item mods and skills that benefit from having low life, so your solution won't work
I don't think the low life low vision radius is that big a deal for all the benefits that come with low life. After a while, I got used to it, and there are only a few indoor areas that are truly difficult to see in.
"
mrstrong wrote:
"
gonzaw wrote:

That is nice

there are item mods and skills that benefit from having low life, so your solution won't work

Then make 35% of your MAXIMUM life be considered "low life" for those mods, but make 35%*[percentage of life you have after life is reserved by auras] be considered "low life" regarding the vision radius perhaps?
"
gonzaw wrote:

Then make 35% of your MAXIMUM life be considered "low life" for those mods, but make 35%*[percentage of life you have after life is reserved by auras] be considered "low life" regarding the vision radius perhaps?

that would work
a simpler fix would be to have it as an option instead of making it mandatory
How about making reserved health not trigger the low vision radius?Since most low life builds consist of auras being used to reserve health this could solve it easily if it can be programmed.
Another suggestion is to make the low life vision gradually restored to normal vision (as if the player is restoring himself to his senses after being wounded) after you stand still for a few seconds,since most areas with wp don't monsters so close to them,this could still mantain the danger of low life but actually balance it.
Last edited by avaro on Mar 7, 2013, 7:34:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info