anyone else play grim dawn?

"
Grim Dawn has a lot of problems right now that hopefully B30 fixes. If you thought drop-rates in vanilla D3 and POE were bad, you've not met this awful system.

Not sure what vanilla D3 you played, but the vanilla D3 I played was during the May-June 2012 D3 era when the game ridiculously bad that I felt bad. I felt I was brainwashed for the first 300 hours, and the last 100 hours made me realize I had to stop playing an horrendous game. It was at that point that I started searching for another APRG, and I happened to stumble upon PoE.

Act 2 Inferno was literally the brick wall. I went from having all self-gears (some of them were really from Hell's standard) to having all AH gears equipped to even make progress in act 2 Inferno. Almost all the drops had no business being in inferno difficulty let alone hell difficulty. I felt like the Blizzard's developers were mocking me for trying to rely on drops and not use their awesome auction house to pull through. Really irked me at that point. Reaper of Souls made the game a complete 180 turn, everything good drops, so that made me lose motivation fast.

Path of Exile is "almost" like vanilla Diablo 3, but there is still some possibility of something decent to drop for the character you are playing or a very nice chance for your future alts. Path of Exile really promotes altoholism with their passive tree, the amount of gems/support gems, unique items, jewels, and etc. Path of Exile has a lot of flexibility, but of course, if you are only looking for the absolute best, then yes, this will start looking as dreadful as vanilla D3. With Ascendancy expansion looming over the horizon, I feel that will add more depth customization. In the sense, Path of Exile can get away with it, and I feel the same for Grim Dawn.

To be honest, I feel that all ARPG I have played suffered a lot when it comes to looting, even moreso if you are only playing one character and is specialized to the point that only a few stats will be accepted...with the exception of resistances, that it makes upgrading really REALLY difficult. Problem arises because having to find an item with the same stats....better version is a difficult task in games that has complexity like Path of Exile and Grim Dawn. You would have to make compromises to actually upgrade, but to find an exact replica with better stats is asking too much. The way around that system is to either trade for one, dupe for one....or spend an eternity farming it. The bane of ARPG with complex loot system.

Make the loot system too complex...someone will complain. Make the loot system too simplistic....someone will complain. Try balancing to find the sweet spot, well good luck with that. I am not sure how much the loot system will be improved for Grim Dawn in build 30 or even in build 31, or will it be improved at all? Worse case, mod the game to how you envision it to be once the modding tools are released after official release.

"

And that final boss is a shining example of awful game design in every single way with how it currently exists. Huge boss, small room, multiple sources of AOE, numerous adds to clog the screen, everything does big damage unless you get resistances up.

Sounds too much like Malachai.......lol
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 13, 2016, 2:34:11 AM
The skill diversity and build complexity alone puts PoE far outside the range of being "almost like vanilla diablo 3" IMO.

And then there's the economy to consider and social hubs (towns) which are not the same at all as in d3.

I think that calling PoE almost like any version of d3 is unmerited.
man that act2 inferno wall was real, even just getting through the gate after you met the enchantress was a mission, just getting instagibbed by poison flies and jumping sandmonkey horrors.

I think the difference with poe is that there isnt a wall, you can find gear in merciless docks that can take down red tier maps. Its so much more about skill and build than items in the way d3 was, and you can find items to take on higher content in lower content. In d3 it was more "theres 2 builds that can actually make it through this wall and find the items locked beyond it that the rest of you need to progress". You cna pick almost any skill in the game and find yourself clearing maps self found in poe, might not be a good build but its not going to hit a wall pre endgame that you cannot get past without buying gear. Maybe lvl76 maps are going to start to wall you off but you can grind the gear to beat lvl76 maps in lvl68 maps, its not a solid wall you cant grind through if you put in the time.

The extreme item rng is there, but I dont think it has quite the same fatal impact.

"
Darkfyre wrote:
The skill diversity and build complexity alone puts PoE far outside the range of being "almost like vanilla diablo 3" IMO.

And then there's the economy to consider and social hubs (towns) which are not the same at all as in d3.

You do not have to agree with me, but the looting system in PoE is pretty bad, but not on the level of vanilla Diablo 3. That was the only thing I was even thinking about comparing. Still, PoE has a bit ways to go before it reaches that horribleness, and I do not think it will reach it since I think GGG is satisfied where the loot system is currently is being that there is plenty of skill diversity and build complexity.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
man that act2 inferno wall was real, even just getting through the gate after you met the enchantress was a mission, just getting instagibbed by poison flies and jumping sandmonkey horrors.

I think the difference with poe is that there isnt a wall, you can find gear in merciless docks that can take down red tier maps. Its so much more about skill and build than items in the way d3 was, and you can find items to take on higher content in lower content. In d3 it was more "theres 2 builds that can actually make it through this wall and find the items locked beyond it that the rest of you need to progress". You cna pick almost any skill in the game and find yourself clearing maps self found in poe, might not be a good build but its not going to hit a wall pre endgame that you cannot get past without buying gear. Maybe lvl76 maps are going to start to wall you off but you can grind the gear to beat lvl76 maps in lvl68 maps, its not a solid wall you cant grind through if you put in the time.

The extreme item rng is there, but I dont think it has quite the same fatal impact.

Yup, this is pretty much how I feel with PoE's endgame content.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Darkfyre wrote:

You do not have to agree with me, but the looting system in PoE is pretty bad, but not on the level of vanilla Diablo 3. That was the only thing I was even thinking about comparing. Still, PoE has a bit ways to go before it reaches that horribleness, and I do not think it will reach it since I think GGG is satisfied where the loot system is currently is being that there is plenty of skill diversity and build complexity.

I agree that the loot system will never reach the level of terrible of the one in vanilla d3, since PoE will never have an automated auction house system - let alone a RMT one.
Build 30 came out just an hour after I left my house and was already at uni, so missed out posting this in time. Lots and lots of tweaks here and there throughout the entire game along with more bug fixes, optimization, and more. Game is shaping up to be a finished product.

Build 31 is the last build, which will move Grim Dawn to the official release (not build 30 anymore) in February. Still more balancing, bug fixing, and optimization will occur along the way and until build 31 to add the finishing touch to the core game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 13, 2016, 10:45:51 PM
Bought it when it first became available on steam, hoping to pick it up again now its more complete. Especially since i will be buying a new laptop soon, goodbye potato!!!
Bought at summer steam sale; was told to wait to play it until the game was more complete. Perhaps now is the time to give it a go?

Need to play something different than POE to get my POE spark back :)
POE is life. POE is ♥.
The latest Grim Misadventure update which features Build 31 preview

At this point, official release is still on track somewhere in February. As for the rest of the information, well the link to that thread should be enough for us to get an idea what is in store for us in build 31.
- raics, 06.08.2016

looking good

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info