anyone else play grim dawn?

Since poe going away from 3 difficulties it felt weird and very boring to do it in grim dawn. If anything it should have one long story since actual exploration of areas is interesting
"
Nubatack wrote:
Since poe going away from 3 difficulties it felt weird and very boring to do it in grim dawn. If anything it should have one long story since actual exploration of areas is interesting

I do not think it is feasible for Crate to do that at this point, they do not have the manpower and pockets to go that route. They are sticking to traditions which I do not find it wrong and still appealing to me.

From what I have experienced:

- when you beat the final boss of base game (act 4), you normally end up around 40-43 (doing extra contents like roguelike dungeons can you push you to 45) before heading to elite difficulty.

- when you beat the final boss of Ashes of Malmouth, you normally end up around 50-54 (if you already done all the roguelike dungeons and other hidden contents, you will probably end around 55-56) before heading to elite difficulty.

Forgotten Gods will probably give enough content that by the time we hit elite difficulty (assuming every content was conquered in that difficulty), we will be around 58-63. I hope Forgotten Gods get another roguelike dungeon, if not, shattered realms will suffice.

Edit: One of the moderators from the GD forums informed me of this

"Forgotten Gods will also bring merit tokens which will allow you to skip difficulties. Once you have one character into Ultimate FG (and you can afford them) you can buy merit tokens to allow your other toons to start on Elite or Ultimate if you want to. So that means a low level character can plunge straight into Ultimate. Shrines will be changing too because of this. All shrines on all difficulties will be enabled, i.e. no longer missing in Elite and Ultimate compared to Normal, plus many more shrines are being added so you can get 55 Devotion points just by playing Ultimate."

Pretty much, you can play ultimate difficulty right away beyond your first character that has reached ultimate FG. Though, the game will be difficult right off the bat and the shrine's ingredients for the devotion will be from ultimate.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 5, 2019, 2:58:12 AM
It's true that early ultimate difficulty will probably require care for characters not completing the earlier difficulties, particularly with resistance penalties in play.

My guess is that we will still have access to earlier difficulties with a character "born in ultimate", as it were, and if that's true then we're likely to still be able to calibrate difficulty to what our characters can handle.

Also, many players will probably rely on their pre-existing stocks of gear, components and other crafting ingredients, plus the shared stash across characters, to get their "born in ultimate" characters going. The ability to re-roll legendaries will probably also help for getting new characters going, as well.

Crate seems to listen relatively well to suggestions when problems crop up. Their willingness to listen gives me confidence that even if the "born in ultimate" feature of the new XPac is a bit too rough at first, then it will be modified until it ends up as a reasonable, playable choice.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I do not think it is feasible for Crate to do that at this point, they do not have the manpower and pockets to go that route. They are sticking to traditions which I do not find it wrong and still appealing to me.

For sure, you still get some new enemies i believe and/or side quests. Items maybe. I don't know much at all about GD. My approach was to never really do everything on first 2 difficulties and then do max exploration on last, especially since it's pretty hard and i was going slower, farming more side areas and stuff :) Really fun overall
Like the game a lot. But one thing I hate is how they did level scaling in the game. Its really done badly and makes it have similar problems to oblivion.

The more you level the harder the game gets if you can not keep with item upgrades, making it so that its best just to rush the game as fast as possible at lowest level possible for the content. If you go explore and have bad RNG so you dont get item upgrades and level a lot, your making the game a lot harder for you, if you are unlucky with drops. Very bad system. They should went with more smaller scaling of several lvl per area and only leave this type of scaling maybe for last dif.
Last edited by miljan on Feb 8, 2019, 6:53:22 PM
"
miljan wrote:
Like the game a lot. But one thing I hate is how they did level scaling in the game. Its really done badly and makes it have similar problems to oblivion.

The more you level the harder the game gets if you can not keep with item upgrades, making it so that its best just to rush the game as fast as possible at lowest level possible for the content. If you go explore and have bad RNG so you dont get item upgrades and level a lot, your making the game a lot harder for you, if you are unlucky with drops. Very bad system. They should went with more smaller scaling of several lvl per area and only leave this type of scaling maybe for last dif.
I hear what you're saying and it's true that if you don't get upgrades then later levels can be quite a bit more difficult. That is a genuine downside to the level scaling mechanic.

Still, one thing that Grim Dawn does quite well, at least for most builds, is to provide reliably available items that help to fill out a wide variety of builds. For example, you can reliably find Monster Infrequent rares that perform well. Faction gear can be very powerful, as well. Random crafting is cheap and therefore moderately effective (patience is definitely needed, though). Vendors provide sensational rares sometimes, as well. Finally, the new ability in the upcoming XPac to re-roll legendaries will help, as well.

The downside of this is that research about items and/or searching on the forum for builds ends up being helpful later into a lot of builds. I'm not certain how much research many would like to do to be able to enjoy an endgame character in Grim Dawn.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Feb 9, 2019, 6:53:00 AM
Steam page is updated with Forgotten Gods achievements:

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/219990/achievements

Maybe we'll get a release date soon! :)
Crate did quite a good job on the expansion, specially on enviromental details. The ugdenbog and ancient grove are beatiful places. Even the coven's refuge has that cool and warm boiling cauldron sound...

Also love the zoom on GD, PoE has always been too zoomed in. You can even adjust the size of the HUD...

It has tons of potential, it's a bit sad that devs didn't go for a subversive whale money harvest mtx cash shop system like PoE did. That'd have give em' the resources to take GD at GG state.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Grim Dawn is that ARPG game where you can deal actual damage with multiple skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2dgkZM5yjU
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Last edited by IIPheXII on Feb 14, 2019, 10:21:19 PM
New skill tree coming, oathbreaker, is now on grimtools calc.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info