anyone else play grim dawn?

"
torturo wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

As for the damage types in the game, Grim Dawn is balanced around needing you to deal more than one damage type unlike PoE which you can just focus on one element

That was the intention of developers, and they'd stated game's balanced that way. You can make many viable builds which work that way and the game supports it.

But as long as you are up to min-maxing and uber kills, quite often the best choice is to focus on a single damage type and bring it to extremes (plus its related DoT), while stacking massive amounts of RR to overcome the high resistance of monsters.

That's kind of funny. If POE is any indication, it's probably because players are accessing more multipliers than the developers thought would be possible for one character's damage type.

Since you fellas all seem to be in the know about GD, I was wondering - does the Constitution system work as brilliantly in high levels as it does in low levels? That is to say, it seems to enable high-EHP low-Recovery builds, which you absolutely can not do in POE high level end-game.

Also - target farming. There's something about target farming (Final Fantasy memories?) that I absolutely adore. Target farming for crafting mats in D3 was a real blast for me, and then they axed it... does farming for Components still feel fun to you guys at high levels or is it like a chore? I found a v0.2 component farming guide and it looks like I'll get a real kick out of it - using encyclopedic knowledge to build up items of ultimate power is a satisfying activity that I've found lacking in POE and D3.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Constitution at high levels is almost meaningless stat. Like, better have it, but no biggies if you don't. It shines early on, even worth investments in it.

Targeted farming is one of the selling points of GD, and is related to a great variety of desired items - from crafting components to MIs.
Speaking strictly about components - typically a high level char would naturally have most of them by just progressing and dismantling, to not even bother farming.

Ofc there are exceptions, as some components are more rare than others - seals, ugdenblooms, wendigo spirits, etc. which often require targeted farming. The good news is, while there's still RNG involved, you know when and what to farm to acquire what you need.
Farming doesn't feel like a chore, as while running the zones you also get other rewards in addition, do bosses nearby, etc.

ATM the "new" materials are a bit more rare than they should be, but I bet it will be fixed in the next patch.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Oct 27, 2017, 1:03:18 PM
I read in a post that many players left Path of Exile after fighting Merveil. I've just run into Merveil in Grim Dawn, and it's a guy this time, and his name is Zalazar. I'm not easily frustrated, but he's getting at my nerves. .
To beat Merveil, the game gave you hints along the road; a Cold resist ring or 2, and the cave was pretty chilly. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I really can't find any hints how to beat this guy.
I'm level 16 and been playing 10 hours, give or take. I'm playing an arcanist, and don't have any real grasp of what I'm doing sofar. It's really boring, but perhaps I've to check out a build guide.
Last edited by EldorLoreseeker on Oct 28, 2017, 8:34:40 AM
you mean this guy?

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Salazar,_Blade_of_Ch%27thon

I don't think I could beat him at level 16, on my first play-through.
he's an optional boss.
an encounter that teaches you mechanics of the Cult Of Ch'thon enemy faction, you'll be fighting in a later Act.

In Grim Dawn every Act has zones and bosses you are supposed to come back to.
much later, for some.
Salazar isn't an "uber-boss" by Normal/Veteran difficulty standards (yes there are "ubers" even in Normal) but he is definitely harder than main-quest content.

come back later. he will level up when you do (all monsters do) but you will be better-geared and have some extra skills.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 28, 2017, 9:31:44 AM
Yup, it's a completely optional side quest.
You are not supposed to hop in early on when undergeared, the mobs are of higher level and you have no chaos/vitality res early on.
When you enter this zone, a message pops up - to inform you that area is dangerous and you may have your ass handed to you. I mean, you've been warned.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Oct 28, 2017, 9:58:07 AM
"
torturo wrote:
When you enter this zone, a message pops up - to inform you that area is dangerous and you may have your ass handed to you. I mean, you've been warned.

Hmm, maybe I missed it, can't remember that I got that message.
"
torturo wrote:
Yup, it's a completely optional side quest.
You are not supposed to hop in early on when undergeared, the mobs are of higher level and you have no chaos/vitality res early on.

I just love those messages, it's that feeling when you see a skull emblem in Borderlands

That Salazzang dude was doable at that point, I suppose, but I wouldn't exactly call it HC-friendly, yeah.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 28, 2017, 10:43:05 AM
I think Salazar has a much better warning for the player, compared to
Spoiler
Grand Priest Zarthuzellan for example, who I consider an "uber" and yet you just get the quest and think you're supposed to fight him as part of the main story.

And after I barely zerged the bastard, the ghost guy just gave me a Skeleton Key and I walked right in... and got completely fucking destroyed.

Steps really does need a sign like "this is a Rogue-like uber dungeon. enter only when you've beat the game, and prepare to die".
kind of obvious with Valbury and Bastion, but I feel Steps just appears too early in the game and presented in an incorrect way for what it is.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 28, 2017, 11:13:40 AM
I got savaged on the Steam forums for finishing normal (or whatever they call it) under lvl 40. I asked if I was underleveled and they were like "How did you get through that fast?"

I said, "I come from PoE. We run."

Seriously, GD is a much slower paced game than PoE.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
on the Steam forums

I believe I may have spotted the problem... :P

Anyhoo, since you have the Crucible DLC you could give that a go for a handful of levels. It can be surprisingly good at tossing you upgrades, and it makes for a cool change of pace before you turn around and do the same content all over again. Just don't try going from the 30s to the level cap exclusively playing the Crucible - you'll go insane. Trust me.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info