desync vs exp penalty on death

Without a penalty I will sell my lifeleech gems and refund every single hp node and go 100% glasscannon and only die to reflects killing everything 1-2 screens away. I mean, if I die, all I lose is a single portal? Great so I can die 5x per map and all I have to do is refresh the portal so now and then to minimize walking-distance.
Also haku missions lvl76 with 1800 hp and no armor/eva are gonna be fun without a penalty. Try until you succeed or until time runs out lol.

Desynch is the worst thing about poe for sure. But no penalty at all... That is a bit... overkill.

I died to desynch like once the last 2 months. It was my own stupid fault though for not respecting the desynch-mechanic (running from box instead of using leapslam, desynched back and died).

And I forgot to mention, but knowing when to use /oos and when not to use it (desynching on purpose) can yield great results and even borderline-exploiting.

I consider desynch annoying, but I also consider it to be an extra skill-requirement as you can mitigate it almost completely and even make it work to your advantage sometimes.

"
"
silverdash wrote:
I disagree.

you can disagree as much as you want, its even a subject for GGG.

I believe you. But do you have an url for me perhaps?
Last edited by silverdash on Nov 15, 2014, 8:54:36 PM
"
IgorBGD wrote:
"
Majmun wrote:
10% exp loss should be increased to 25% or more...
We all died beacuse of dsync, lag, boxes,..but 10% loss is not a big deal

Not sure about that for lvl 90+.

Dying few times in a row in one day by game freezes and failed LW or WBlades can be really frustrating.

I almost quit when died at 96% lvl88 when exile strongbox freezes for 2 sec: I died at 80% lvl89 in Precint when boss "was half screen away" with vulnerbility mod; I died at lvl90 70% in double Piety -15max res map(my fault),..

I play solo 99% of my time and from my perspective this game seems more and more casual..
Rampage is my first temp league, I have 2 high lvl chars with mediocore gear( probably +-5ex worth gear) and If I can clear 78lvl map in less then 10min something is wrong here for "hardcore" game...Back to topic, If I die after 85+ I just exit the game, take a break for 24 hours and continue, seriuosly, 10% is not much...
my problem is mostly dying to box desync and the xp loss stacks up quickly you die once and lose 3 - 4 maps worth of xp really feels like youre slamming your head into a wall repeatedly. so i choose not to get boxes the graphical lag in this game is sad i think you should be able to reduce some of the onscreen effects / texturing to help reduce lag / desync. im not saying remove the penalty it makes total sense but at the stage im at now dying once should not cost me 3 - 4 maps of xp i feel losing what you can gain from a high level ( to your current level ) map would be enough you die you lose a map ( the one youre doing ) you die again you start costing yourself more time but 3 - 4 maps per death is just dumb 2 - 3 deaths cost you a day ( casual gamers ) its not enjoyable working your ass off for 6 - 8 hours to lose it all to bad roll / bad box / desync in a couple deaths. its just a little over the top in my opinion
Katastrophik - Accepting members of all time zones fluent in English who are mature and enjoy the game. myself and my officers will make sure you enjoy your experience here in Wraeclast.

IGN: Xsoduz
"
silverdash wrote:
But do you have an url for me perhaps?

Sure http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/710359

There are also numerous "desync problem" related posts and replies from Mr. Wilson on reddit in this regard :)
- Best Signature Ever -
What also came in my mind is that the problem with POE's XP penalty calculation is also the fixed and static and flat ratio of 10%, it's okay on lower levels but it starts to get out of proportion somewhere around Lvl 85.

So a loss of 10% at lvl 90 for example means around 4xlvl 75+ maps and even much more at lvl 90+(please do not expect precise numbers here, haven't made exact statistics about it but feel free to check it yourself) and there comes the additional ninja penalty additionally to the XP penalty, from where the heck should you get all the 75+ maps to compensate XP within a moderate time window?

A lot of people do not only lose their progress but also a lot of time (like someone else already mentioned it) and more importantly a good bunch of currency, and that's nothing but a threefold penalty in my book :)

I would turn at least the flat and unproportional penalty ratio into a dynamic and proportional penalty ratio.

- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Nov 15, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
"

I would turn at least the flat and unproportional penalty ratio into a dynamic and proportional penalty ratio.

THIS !
Katastrophik - Accepting members of all time zones fluent in English who are mature and enjoy the game. myself and my officers will make sure you enjoy your experience here in Wraeclast.

IGN: Xsoduz
"
Got no problems with XP penalties if i was the reason for my own death like caused by wrong tactics or for being undergeared or such, but XP penalties in POE are totally out of place and unjustified since in most cases you simply got no control over your char when you die...

This.
I know there are some "l33t h4xor" kids out there who will tell you to learn to play, but that is bull. I've played since closed beta, I really know how to handle my current character which I've played consistently for about a month. So you can believe me when I say: 5 of my last 6 deaths were due to technical issues. That is unbelievably frustrating, I'd have this gal on lvl 90 twice over if it weren't for the load lag and occasional desync. The load lag is the real killer, desync hardly ever gets me. But as you progress, gear up and become better at this game, what else will kill you? Just lapses in attention and programming bugs.

If I didn't love this game so much I'd hate it.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
I hereby declare that the exp penalty should be reduced to 10% from 30%!
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Sure http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/710359

Thanks for the url.

Yes the flat xp penalty is a bit harsh post level ~90. At lvl 87-88 it's only like 4 maps. But starting at lvl 90 dying loses you about 10x level75 maps of xp and onwards, which is quiet a lot in both time and currency. And levels 1-60 the xp penalty is nearly non-existent.
That is one of the reasons why I stop leveling at level 90. My build is usually fully completed anyway at that point.

The grind from 90-->100 should be hard imo. But the xp penalty could be lessened a tiny bit to accommodate for bugs/desynchs indeed. Maybe 6-7% penalty instead of 10% for post lvl 90.

But I have 2 level 90's and did quiet some beyond characters up to lvl 88, 87, some 70's, etc. in ~2 months time. And desynch was problematic for specific builds only, but it never killed me on Beyond as I learned to handle it by now. Bugs however are more problematic than desynch on Beyond as well as the 'lag' when a large beyond pack with a unique spawns around you (also your own fault imo).
There is no way that I level a few hundred levels on hardcore and not die to desynch not even once when other people complain that they die to it several times per level on non-hardcore.
My conclusion is that they must do something wrong. And I am/was not exactly well-geared on Beyond. So they either build wrong, don't know the game mechanics well-enough, gear wrong or have extremely bad pc's/internet (my pc isn't exactly up2date) or just configured them wrong.

But yes you do need a lot of experience to survive in this game. But I can guarantee that at least 90% of all desynchs can be 'controlled'. It's just not for the casual but 'for the leet haxor player with no life' if you would like to call it that way. Casual players with less than 500 hours of PoE will probably die to desynch a lot. But one could also consider level ~85 to be total end-game for casual players in that regard instead of 100.

"
I almost quit when died at 96% lvl88 when exile strongbox freezes for 2 sec

People dying to a box... I died to a box on Beyond from Ice nova (instantly killed my tank). I learned the hard way that boxes with the following mods: explodes, ice nova, exile, freezes are potentially dangerous. 999/1000 times all is well but that 1000th time it will kill you. Be it because of a desynch, bug, lag (as in your case), fps drops or 'unbalanced game mechanic'. Just don't open them if you can't afford to die. You know it.
Opening those boxes is just gambling with the RNG and even though the odds are in your favor, at some point you will lag out or desynch back right into the explosion and die and it was your fault for taking that gamble.
Last edited by silverdash on Nov 16, 2014, 7:33:49 AM
Desync wins!

Fatality.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info