Desync Friendly builds

There are certain things that cause desync, and if you play for a while you learn to avoid them and will rarely have issues with it.

1. Don't run near walls, corners, or any permanent obstacles. Give everything a few feet of space.
Sometimes your character will be a couple feet from where it seems to be. Doing this will ensure that you aren't actually running into a wall.

2. Never run through mobs. It doesn't work in this game. It looks like it works, but you'll almost always desync back into the pack to see that you're actually getting gangbanged and not 20 feet away like you though.

3.Avoid certain skills. Whirling Desync, RIP Slam, and Desynclone cause a ton of issues. Lightning Fail is your best option for a movement skill if you're prone to a lot of desync. It will simply not go off if it fails rather than warping you back 5 seconds later.

Hope this helps. Desync isn't going away, so learn to play around it!
I am stunned by the amount of positive feedback on this topic. Thanks alot guys!

Not sure how to quote people, would like to give feedback to some comments,...

Tips I found helps me alot that I see others mentioned

1. Melee is a problem
I "fix" this problem with melee builds with multistrike and shift attack with lifesteal if I think I might be de-syncing. One thing that hurts like crazy with melee builds is when there is group of monsters I am teasing out of a door, then attack one that is coming out, only to realize when the rubberband stopeed that my character ran into the middle of the room instead of waiting by the door (running towards enemy to attack - but enemy is in middle of danger zone - not by door)

2. AOE is king . I was wondering why I constantly tried AOE builds. My last AOE build was a discharger build - and is not recommended for when you are prone to de-sync, but all other AOE seems to be wroking well

3. Summons - Zombies and Sepectre's seem to work very well - including dual flame totem build I am currently playing. I like the suggestion for Shockwave totem - I might try it - also want to try an ethereal knive totem build.

4. Cast on crit is really bad but funny - This was my first build, and I loved the de-sync effect purely for the look of it. It registeres tons of attacks, and it will seem that no crit hapens, and then you stop the attack and run around - then see your character suddenly casting multitude of spells while just running around. Looks funny/cool though.

5. Try to run in a straight line, and as soon as you see a monster if you ran fast, first backtrack before you attack.

6. Unwavering stance - This is an awesome skill for me. Very hard with stunning to have any clue what is happening, but with this skill it eliminates it.

It was really nice to see alot of advice that confirmed alot of my experiences.

Currently I am building a dual flame totem shadow. I know not the strongest choice, and my gear is also not optimal, but he seems to do very well.

I swap one of the rings sometime for extra curse, and swap the fire penetration gem for increase quantity when the mobs have low health.

This is what I am using currently:
Spoiler

P.S. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me how I can reference them. I would like to re-post this with quotes
EDIT
"
Below the person picture that you'll like to quote is a Q next too PM will quote the person that you'll like to reference or quote.

Thank you - Will update now :-)
Last edited by WhiteMagick on Nov 17, 2014, 7:35:34 AM
Below the person picture that you'll like to quote is a Q next too PM will quote the person that you'll like to reference or quote. Just delete what you don't want to quote leaving the "[qu ote][/qu ote]" behind.
To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Last edited by GrumpyBear5043 on Nov 17, 2014, 5:21:45 AM
"
PeachieMark wrote:

RIP Slam, and Desynclone

LOL
I feel you bro, I play with 180-210ms (+ spikes).

Altho I must say, it's far more important to learn to play -with- this instead of -against- it.

I've worked hard and played different builds, even squishy casters, and I have to say... after a while you can totally get used to this. /oos and shift are your friends.

There are certain skills (eff you Whirling Blades) that you should skip, for movement skills Lightning Warp is probably the one that suffers the less from this. Leap Slam is kinda hard, but I used it in a couple of races with good results.

To be honest, I came to this conclusion after beating Atziri (regular) deathless yesterday with my Ranger. Yes, my char is 91 and dodge is in a pretty good position right now for defensive stats, but 46% dodge spell (+20% on certain scenarios from Rumi's) isn't enough to stand still and try to nuke her. In theory I should have gone with some type of RF/max block guy to have +max res, 75% spell block and high life... that's probably the safest one.

In order of priorities I'd suggest you:

1) Get a good build. There's no shame on reading the forums to find a build that may appeal to you. Also, consider that every single build out there is -not- set in stone, and you can (and should) do changes to them to adapt it to your gameplay. Full offensive are extremely hard to play, full defensive are extremely boring. Balance is key.

2) Either macro /oos or just keep it as your last line and do "enter + up key + enter". I don't like macros, hence I use the second one. Shift to attack is HUGE, specially when you're trying to use a ranged skill thru a door, if you don't shift in this scenario, you will probably warp thru the door and go full melee on the mobs.

3) Learn the scenarios where desync is probably going to happen. Corridors, doors, intrincate maps (Pier, Shipyard, etc). When playing ranged classes it's far more common that the mobs are desynced (client thinks you're close enough and mobs start moving, server thinks that you're far hence mobs aren't actually moving).

4) SC or HC, always take a bit extra caution. Positioning is key for almost any build on any scenario. When you play with that high latency your character is rarely where the client is showing, there are two ways of dealing with this. Either play a class that requires less casting/attacking ( totems, summons, traps, etc) or understand that you can't do "close calls" and lose some effective DPS by moving. I died tons of times doing Atziri to understand this. According to my client I was always away from the flameblasts... yet I was getting hit by them. Why? Simple, I moved away from the flameblast and stopped the movement to attack as soon as I was away from them, again the client wasn't showing what was -really- happening. Learn when to move and when to attack, and never trust 100% what the client is showing.
Last edited by daemmon on Nov 17, 2014, 8:41:53 AM
Quick Update,

I have used the feedback to base a build on.

I tried my edited version of this build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1068509
With great success.

Decided to change it abit, and doing lvl 70+ maps with ease. Not really ready for maps on HC though - still need to learn the different boss fights.

Advantages to desync prone I found are
1.Alot of HP - Does not get stunned often.
2.The RF kills enemies that are close and invisible due to sync
3.Uses shift cast for its main dps

I find that the best way for me to deal with enemies are
1. teleport clicking on the minion (I want to be close range for incenerate - and then I teleport to where it really is not to where my curser is) - SO curse, teleport, shift cast.
2. Does not allow for any enemies to be alive for long for things to go wrong.
3. Flasks are probably the most essential item in the build with bossfights. Lightning seems to be the biggest problem.

I think I will stick with this build until the new league start, and have a exciting build planned for the new league.

Any comments always appreciated!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info