Desync Friendly builds

Hi All,

I live quite far away from any POE server, and as such I believe to have some of the worse latency possible. It is amazing though that although I live so far away from a server that it is still possible for me to enjoy this game, so this is not a thread to complain about desync, but alo to give kudus for making it possible to enjoy an online game of this nature over such a great distance.

I have started off playing hardcore, and now and again have tried, but resigned myself to stick with non-hardcore leagues until there is a server that is closer or until I move country :-).

On topic though - I would like to post build ideas centred around people that needs to cope with the same amount of latency (rubber banding I think it is called), and wanted to test the waters to see if others might be interested in this as well (I am not sure how big the player-base is with this level of problem)

Please post build ideas centred around this, and also tips and tricks how to deal with it with some popular builds.

I enjoy playing when I have the chance, but have a full time occupation that I also enjoy. I also love doing too many build ideas, which is a problem since it does not help my current currency situation (as soon as I reach level 60-65 I start with a new build), but I guess I am rich by the fact that I love to play/support this game, and maybe this problem that I have to constantly think of new builds can help/inspire others to get a build that they can enjoy even if they have to deal with major desync issues.

Update
Spoiler
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
Quick Update,

I have used the feedback to base a build on.

I tried my edited version of this build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1068509
With great success.

Decided to change it abit, and doing lvl 70+ maps with ease. Not really ready for maps on HC though - still need to learn the different boss fights.

Advantages to desync prone I found are
1.Alot of HP - Does not get stunned often.
2.The RF kills enemies that are close and invisible due to sync
3.Uses shift cast for its main dps

I find that the best way for me to deal with enemies are
1. teleport clicking on the minion (I want to be close range for incenerate - and then I teleport to where it really is not to where my curser is) - SO curse, teleport, shift cast.
2. Does not allow for any enemies to be alive for long for things to go wrong.
3. Flasks are probably the most essential item in the build with bossfights. Lightning seems to be the biggest problem.

I think I will stick with this build until the new league start, and have a exciting build planned for the new league.

Any comments always appreciated!
Last edited by WhiteMagick on Nov 19, 2014, 3:39:11 AM
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
Hi All,

I live quite far away from any POE server, and as such I believe to have some of the worse latency possible. It is amazing though that although I live so far away from a server that it is still possible for me to enjoy this game, so this is not a thread to complain about desync, but alo to give kudus for making it possible to enjoy an online game of this nature over such a great distance.

I have started off playing hardcore, and now and again have tried, but resigned myself to stick with non-hardcore leagues until there is a server that is closer or until I move country :-).

On topic though - I would like to post build ideas centred around people that needs to cope with the same amount of latency (rubber banding I think it is called), and wanted to test the waters to see if others might be interested in this as well (I am not sure how big the player-base is with this level of problem)

Please post build ideas centred around this, and also tips and tricks how to deal with it with some popular builds.

I enjoy playing when I have the chance, but have a full time occupation that I also enjoy. I also love doing too many build ideas, which is a problem since it does not help my current currency situation (as soon as I reach level 60-65 I start with a new build), but I guess I am rich by the fact that I love to play/support this game, and maybe this problem that I have to constantly think of new builds can help/inspire others to get a build that they can enjoy even if they have to deal with major desync issues.

Any skill that doesn't require aiming on a specific mob is desync friendly. These are skills like molten strike,reave,any spell really and generally ranged skills. High movement speed and generally any movement skill causes desync.
On another note:IMO a build is finished after you try it on maps (preferably end game ones). Level 65 is just too early to drop a toon for me.
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
Ranged skills are still desyncy.... TS is really bad when it comes to Desync... this game is just, desync... there are no safe builds lmao
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
Basic attack.
The least desyncy build I've played in Beyond (and I've played most of the current meta builds) is SRS.
As mentioned, all builds are going to have some desync issues. Some are less prone to it - also as mentioned above.

There are some things you can do to minimize it.

Movement skills definitely anger the dsync gods. Sadly not just your movement, but also mob movement, which is worse and happens way more often, at least for me. I can control my movement, but not theirs.

So, if a batch of fast moving snakes pops up (for example) the best thing you can do is hit the shift key and stop. The mobs may very well still dsync, but hopefully you won't.

Density also angers dsync, as do lots of effects. Best to stop for a second or two if you see a large grouping and then proceed slowly if you can. Some types of totems with a group of mobs aggravate this.

Also, if you come dashing across a map you have mostly cleared and hit an area with a bunch of mobs it can cause dsync.

Then you have asset loading - as good a term as any I guess. When non standard items appear in a zone they often have an effect. This may have to do with computer loading, but it still causes dsync at times - or does for me anyway. Also lag, sometimes it goes away, sometimes it stays laggy. Shrines, Chests, Exiles, Masters, and once in a great while just a certain area, these are examples of what I mean by assets or non standard items.

If you stop moving for a bit when you see/feel this happening it helps, sometimes you can then move normally, sometimes it just stays laggy.

Sidenote: I'm not going to address the differences between lag and desync. I'm just trying to help the op and others have smoother gameplay not have a technical discussion. But, it is worth noting there are differences. Quick definition is that if your computer (for whatever reason) isn't keeping up with the game (running slow) then its probably lag.
If you are finding yourself suddenly where you aren't supposed to be (basically feels like teleportation), or if mobs instantly disappear/appear, or mobs follow you around and can't be damaged - then its probably desync.
Not even going to go into computer specs. I will say I have an i5 2500k clocked to 4.5 and switched from a gtx460 to a r9 270x and saw no improvement in poe whatsoever, but did in other games.

Doorways. Doorways are an affront to the desync gods and the unwary shall be punished for the blasphemy of using them.

Well, maybe not that bad, but close. There true terror lies in the fact you can use doorways with impunity most of the time, then suddenly, WHAM you're dead.

Mostly watch out for doorways with large mob concentrations on the other side.

Pretty much the best way to limit desync from these issues, at least that I have found is to stop for a second whenever you encounter one of these situations, and then proceed slowly. You will still have some problems, but not very often.

Some things you just don't do. If you come whipping across a 3/4 empty map with jacked up whirling blades and stop in a doorway to a large room packed with fast rare mobs and a shrine, you are going to desync right into them. (I guess technically that's more of a 'prediction' issue, but we are avoiding tech arguments here if possible)

In fact, if you are brave, you can find a situation like that and just leapslam/whirling blade up toward the door from the side and sometimes catch yourself in a loop. You leap ahead and game promptly moves you back a leap or two. I've had this happen and continue until I got tired of watching it loop.

Sometimes, especially if you are fast, you can ls/wb across an open area several times in a row and have the same thing happen.

Another handy tip, if you think you are having desync, or something just feels off, keep attacking if possible. With some life leech/lgoh its often possible to survive being dumped in a pack. Exception is when you can't damage a mob, then you'll just burn up your mana and not be able to survive if the game decides to dump you in a pack when it syncs.

I've heard that you can reduce/remove audio and this will help out. Honestly I've been dealing with desync/lag/prediction/whatever issues for so long I have just adapted my playstyle to deal with it and I very seldom die because of it/them, and I play standard so the once in a great while I do die from this - while annoying - isn't a game breaker.

Somebody who plays hc may have some better/more specific tips for avoiding problems. I personally don't use /oos, never have, but I imagine hc players have it on a macro. /oos is a console command that syncs you with the server. I'm not in that big of a hurry, and by the time I got it typed out I'd probably be in sync again anyway.

Edit: Sadly the times when you least want to desync and the times when it is most likely to happen - density, hyped up special mobs, etc...

TLDR: Come up on large mobs/many effects/special assets/doorways stop moving and proceed more slowly than normal. If things start acting strange, stop moving, but keep attacking unless its a mob you cannot damage then just stop and be prepared to attack/move when you sync up.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.
Last edited by AlteraxPoe on Nov 15, 2014, 8:01:47 AM
Shockwave totems. Enough said.
Tape down your SHIFT on keyboard.

Ignore Whirling Blades, Cyclone, Leap Slam gems. They do not exist for you.

any melee skill and any non AoE skill is out of question. When you hit that button you have to make sure your AoE covers half the screen.

Have maxed out automated defenses like block, dodge, spell block, CwDT setups.

These tricks will reduce your desynch significantly, but sadly they will also dumb down gameplay experience too.
"
symban wrote:
any melee skill and any non AoE skill is out of question...
Have maxed out automated defenses like block, dodge, spell block, CwDT setups.
These tricks will reduce your desynch significantly, but sadly they will also dumb down gameplay experience too.

This soooo much!

But, if you do want to play a "fun" character, just stick with SC and do not set yourself any goals.

I've solo'd my ice shot ranger to level 89 and had a blast. But for the life of me, I cannot get to 90. Out of the last 6 deaths I had, 5 were due to technical issues: 1x desync and 4x load lag. Normally I don't care so much, I've learned to accept the bugs in this game. But when I reached the last cell in the exp bar before hitting 90 and then died twice due to technical issues, I almost uninstalled POE.

Take-home message: Don't aim for things. So if I manage to hit 90, I'll be happy, but I mustn't get annoyed if the combination of my PC and GGG's shoddy programming doesn't allow it...
May your maps be bountiful, exile
Any summoner... totem, minion, raging spirit. They "live" on the server. They don't need the client to even be connected to do their job.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info