Standard economy is fine, it is you that's the issue

But... But... If the flippers buy your item because it is good you actually sold it, right? If its Bad noone buys it, simple als that...
i do play in standard also in the new leagues but i dont have 12+ hours a day to play like the cool kids so getting hundreds of exalts will probably never happen, do i think the economy is broken? on certain things yes, sure in standard you can die nonstop so they should be higher because all it takes is farming time but still some items that are huge build makers are gated behind a GIANT wall of currency so most players will never get the chance to try so yeah i think thats a bit off balance, 140 exalts for shavs? geez that will only take 8 months lol must be a horrible gut drop when they pass all that currency for one chest lol... id never pay that much.

lowlife + nolife = GG builds i guess.
In a temp league you can earn your shav in the first week... in standard it's way harder to gain wealth
"
Ceratoidei wrote:
In a temp league you can earn your shav in the first week... in standard it's way harder to gain wealth [by selling less-than-amazing rares]

I disagree that it's difficult to make wealth in standard. Farm enough chaos to afford some mediocre IIQ gear, and you can Domfarm your way to tabs and tabs of chaos quite easily.

I feel it's important to stress that making wealth in standard should not be thought of in any competitive terms; new players can not and will not be the wealthiest people on the server. Once you discard that notion, it's all good.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Ceratoidei wrote:
In a temp league you can earn your shav in the first week...

Yes, if you grind non stop in that first week. The competition that is going there is unfair, because to win the economy game you have to compete with the most serious nolifers. It is they who will win their shavs, and if you don't have that much time, you won't.

"
in standard it's way harder to gain wealth

No, it's not harder, it is different in how much currency you typically get and how. You spend more time to find/craft/successfully corrupt but then sell that for a good amount of orbs. Thading away some of your unneeded orbs is a good way for noobs to acquire currency btw. Regrets sell 13 to 1 ex, fuses 40 to 1 ex, chaos 30 to 1 ex. Also chisels, vaals - the feral population of the temporary leagues do not value these orbs and it is not really time effective to get currency from trading them. But mediocre rares/uniques and skill gems unless they are 21/20 are not the most effective way to gain wealth in standard, they are dirt cheap and don't have a high demand. While they sell fast in the temp leagues.
what is standard?
OP is wrong. Standard economy is fucked and always will be, but the reason has absolutely nothing to do with how much people expect to get/pay for items. It's fucked because of the ridiculous influx of items and currency that were generated outside standard.

I get why GGG transfers HC and short term leagues to standard, but the fact that they do so flies in the face of "the economy is the most important aspect of the game".
"
Thaelyn wrote:
OP is wrong. Standard economy is fucked and always will be, but the reason has absolutely nothing to do with how much people expect to get/pay for items. It's fucked because of the ridiculous influx of items and currency that were generated outside standard.

I see this argument bandied about all the time, but would someone care to step up and actually quantify the impact?

Yes, a shitton of items from "outside" is generated. They all enter the league, but do they enter the economy? My guess is, usually not. Let's look at the simplest example: Hardcore/Beyond (or equivalent)

Someone dies in HC, their items are now in standard. Cool.

How many hardcore players give even one iota of a fuck about what happens to their items in standard? (most do not, so the items rot.)

How many of those HC chars are just low level chars, derping around in substandard leveling gear? (most. leveling gear isn't going to sell for shit in standard. So, the items rot.)

How many of those HC chars are HIGH level chars, with really good gear for a HC char? Some! But again, compared to the gear available in standard, most likely their items aren't going to sell for tons, unless it's a 6link, or something comparable. I'd venture a guess to say that the volume of items here is smaller yet. Impact: almost none.

With the HC example, you're really looking a Drake Equation of a calculation; the impact is negligible at best. Moving on.

So, what about the softcore chars moving into standard? Fuck, thats a LOT of items! Not only are all the chars (and their inventories) moved, the entire STASH is moved! Surely this has a hugely negative impact on the economy!

But, again, we are talking about people who typically reroll as soon as a new league is available. Do these players care a whole lot about accumulating wealth in standard, a league that they have no intention of playing? Gonna have to say no. The items rot.

Now, there is the occasional (illegal) cross-league trading when new leagues come up. Is it enough to actually hurt the economy? Numbers would be nice here, but I'm guessing that compared to whats entering the economy from people who actually farm while in standard, the impact is still small.

Stop using HC/temp leagues as a scapegoat. The "issue" is one of duration, not source.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Alea wrote:

It's like selling golden bars to homeless ppl and complaining their dont have enough currency or their offer is too low -_-

This summarizes the situation well. Spot on.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
If you have played this game enough, it is so easy to make a lot of money in standard and afford everything.

Even my friend who is a total casual and not very good at the game, honestly, got a shavs on only 3 days of trading having nothing after coming back of his first 7 months of playing. He took a break and after 3 months he came back and got a shavs in 3 days in standard.

I just gave him some recommendations on how to scale the cash and items he had at that moment and he made it, really fast.

People that has been playing this game for more than 6 months and can't make wealth in standard ... well... good luck and bye, I recommend you to play another game. IT IS SO EASY.

You are probably not used to trade on the games you played on the past, I personally played D2 for 10 years and trade was also a basic part of the game and it was a lot of fun. I have met very interesting people by trading on D2 and in PoE too.

On Diablo2, getting good items was much more difficult than in PoE. I must say that I also QQ'ed a bit when I started playing, but after 6 months you just can't avoid learning how the economy works.

But I must admit that a lot of these players are the stubborn self found crew. "Oh man I will never get that even in two years of farming".

Of course not. You are playing a trading game just the opposite way you should.

People is also lazy and they just don't know how the tiers work. I have met people with things worth a lot in standard and never realizing until I told them, just had them sitting on the stash waiting to be vendored or destroyed.

Last edited by chromafunk on Nov 16, 2014, 12:03:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info