What would you do to save this passive tree?

I haven't used any of my last 9 passive skill points because I'm not sure where to put them.

I have 9 points to spend + 8 respec to improve this tree. I'm level 41 and just starting Cruel. When I created the character I was going for a casting + melee style of play. So far, I'm enjoying casting more than melee. The Searing Bond totem has been a lot of fun to cut down crowds quickly but I don't think I want to give up all melee to get two totems going.

Is there something like a 70% casting / 30% melee build that's viable to solo endgame? God, I hate being so unsure what to do that I'm not spending points at all.

Passive skill tree build

Last edited by MARKRAND on Nov 13, 2014, 4:59:00 AM
Have fun with it, and make a more optimized build later when you have more playtime.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford
Jackel,

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't provide any input on how to spend the 8 points and 6 respecs to improve this build.
I doubt salvaging worth investments. Personally I'd recommend to scrap this one and roll a new character. Believe me, act 3 normal and lv.40 are not something to write home about, 2-3 days of very relaxed play actually.

Second thing here is what you actually want from your build. Single SB totem isn't much of casting, and self-casting spells alongside melee is impractical, not to mention that melee and spell usually require different stats and tree nodes to be effective. You will yield far better result with focusing on either melee or spellcasting.

Since you say you gravitate to spells more maybe you should just consider some melee-range spell like Incinerate or Lightning Tendrils or Flame Surge. The later will also get a huge bonus from burning effect of SB totem.

Another option would be to look into trigger gems 'Cast on melee kill' and 'Cast on Critical strike'. It will allow you to use melee skill of choice to automatically cast spells linked to it, so you can get desired melee-spells synergy of sort. However be aware that this way is link-consuming and triggering usefulness of different skills vary very much. Builds of this type are extremely common, so it is easy to find some in class-specific subforums.

Another important thing is your take on passive tree. While it seems logical to focus on 'associated' gear and 'home' part of the tree the truth is that it rarely the case. Which nodes to take should depend completely on what you trying to achieve. Some nodes are ineffective in comparison to others, or cost of reaching them is too high.

For example separate elemental-specific nodes near templar are just a trap as they doesn't provide any notable bonuses, consume high amount of points and leads to nothing. If you want you character to have, say, Eldrich Battery keystone you'll benefit greatly buy skipping them and taking similar nodes near Witch. Basically just look at big picture when planning a character and don't hesitate to use planners and calculators or look at other people's builds.
In years to come
You hear my name
When darkness falls
On judgment day
Melee demands attention, you won't get satisfying results with a hybrid melee/caster.

If you say 30%melee/70%caster, then drop melee for 100% casting.

The other way around, it could work.
You could do 70% melee/30% casting, like putting up a Searing Bond totem for additional damage in fights, but still concentrating on melee.
That's not 100% efficient, but good enough.

I'd aim for somthing like this:
click me

I removed a lot in the upper part of the templar zone, as those are very inefficient nodes.
I added Resolute Technique, so you don't have to worry about Dex/Accuracy.
And I added a bit of Mace Damage for Melee, Burning Damage for the totem.

Try to link Searing Bond to "Increased Burning Damage" support gem.
And then use any melee attack (like Groundslam or Heavy Strike) to do the additional damage.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
MARKRAND wrote:
Is there something like a 70% casting / 30% melee build that's viable to solo endgame? God, I hate being so unsure what to do that I'm not spending points at all.

No there isn't, viable builds a pretty straightfoward on what they wanna do. That's a really important point, if you neglect it here, you will face a wall soon and won't be able to progress at all with your character. The "replay" in POE is really high, the gameplay drastically changes when you make a new character, so really drop the "unsure" feeling, if you like the game you will just start a new character anyways, liking your current one or not.

People actually have problems with their builds trying to make what they wanna do be viable while having viable defenses also. You are concerned with having 2 viables forms of aggression, game won't get easier, you need to plan your defenses also.

That said, it's really hard to help someone that don't say what they actually want from their build. If you wanna go the melee path, your tree could be fixed to match my Cyclone Elemental build, I didn't tested it in the real end game, but at earlier 80's and 68-70 maps it's been really easy, and it's also cheap to go. You can go with this now, and just follow the build plan afterwards.
IGN - Peonsius
my characters/739743 - standard shop/511367
Last edited by peonso on Nov 13, 2014, 7:44:03 AM
Lorginir,

Thanks so much for the useful input! I have Flame Surge and use it a fair amount. It's been pretty effective so I'm going to look into that suggestion.

"
While it seems logical to focus on 'associated' gear and 'home' part of the tree the truth is that it rarely the case.

This is a valuable point. I've started to noticing few builds take many of the home skills near the Templar start area. Are those kind of "newbie fodder" :-)? It would be awesomely valuable if someone experienced wrote a "Skills You'll Regret and Why".

"
Believe me, act 3 normal and lv.40 are not something to write home about, 2-3 days of very relaxed play actually.

It's taken me since January to reach lv 40. For you it's 2-3 days but I see it as nine months. Unfortunately, I have *very* limited periods that I can play. Usually only one weekend a month and even then I have conflicts for time. I see references in posts that indicate you guys advance super fast and I just don't know how you do it. It seems to take me forever to find exits and waypoints. Obviously, there's a lot I don't know. I think maybe I should watch some videos of you guys playing to see how you do it.

Peterlerock,

"
Melee demands attention, you won't get satisfying results with a hybrid melee/caster.

If you say 30%melee/70%caster, then drop melee for 100% casting.

The other way around, it could work.

Thanks for this. I'm starting to understand that the key is focus (and strategic planning).

"
I added Resolute Technique, so you don't have to worry about Dex/Accuracy.

Great tip! I'm realizing my dex is very low and I seem to swing and miss a lot.

"
Try to link Searing Bond to "Increased Burning Damage" support gem.
And then use any melee attack (like Groundslam or Heavy Strike) to do the additional damage.

I have a Heavy Strike that I've been leveling in my alt weapon/shield as well as two Vaal Groundslams. I'm going to investigate this path.

Peonso,

"
If you wanna go the melee path, your tree could be fixed to match my Cyclone Elemental build,

I'm studying your build now.

"
you need to plan your defenses also.

I'm starting to understand how weak my defenses are.

"
That said, it's really hard to help someone that don't say what they actually want from their build. If you wanna go the melee path, your tree could be fixed to match my Cyclone Elemental build,

Yes and thanks all for taking the time to answer someone who doesn't yet know what he really wants. Your input is helping me figure out what I want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info