CWDT-EC-IC is MaNdAtOrY for leveling builds that don't leech or get stunned past 92/93

A level 78 map gives around 10M exp before penalty (a gem gets about 1M exp in a 78 map). At level 94 you get 21% of this experience, or 2.1M. To level 94-95 you need 235M exp, or about 110 78 maps, or each 78 map gives you 0.9% exp.

Now we consider what you gain/lose by dropping a 4L CWDT. On my summon raging spirit build I gain about 10% more DPS by not using CWDT, this means my clear speed can increase by at most 10%. So suppose now I can clear 78 maps in 6.36 minutes. I am fairly certain that other builds would gain less than 10% DPS by not using a 4L CWDT.

Suppose that you encounter a monster or mob that hits for 1/2 of your HP (mostly physical damage) and attacks 2 times per sec. Examples: magic devourer packs, soul eating rare gulls, spitting gulls, exploding chickens. This means that to not die without CWDT you need to use at least one instant heal pot within 0.5sec, or alt-f4/vdisc if you're stunned and rely on leech/energy shield. Suppose the probability you do this is 0.9. So one out of ten times you will die. Suppose you encounter such a monster/mob once per ten maps.

So with CWDT you will need to do 110 maps * 7 minutes = 770 minutes. Without CWDT you expect to die once per 100 maps, and expect to lose 11% exp in 110 maps, so you will have to do 123 maps * 6.36 minutes = 782 minutes.

So even with generous estimates to the benefit of not using CWDT, and very generous estimates to how good you are at using pots, the safety of CWDT comes out on top.

As a corollary I believe that the only builds who can get away with not using CWDT-EC-IC are life-based or anti-stun attack or spell-caster builds with good leeching.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Nov 10, 2014, 1:41:29 PM
Is this post complaining about cast on damage taken set ups being basic to every build now? I mean seriously what build does not benefit from an :
cast on damage taken
immortal call
increased duration
enduring cry
<spell echo optional>
<low level curse optional>

Just about every build runs one or should.
Last edited by hellcatq on Nov 11, 2014, 7:59:47 AM
The real reason this is run is because of poorly designed enemies there's not really any other way to counter. Leapers & devourers being the main culprits.

You just WILL die to them if you dont have it for any non block build.
Last edited by Zaanus on Nov 11, 2014, 8:23:55 AM
"
Zaanus wrote:
The real reason this is run is because of poorly designed enemies there's not really any other way to counter. Leapers & devourers being the main culprits.

CWDT+IC is designed even more poorly, than those monsters.

Immortal Call itself is a giant mistake skill. How can there exist a skill, that allows complete physical immunity all the time? And it isnt a secondary damage type like Chaos (which can be survived with -60% resistance).

Immortal Call is a cheat, put in game by GGG. I wish some day they'll remove this cheat from the game.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:

CWDT+IC is designed even more poorly, than those monsters.

Immortal Call itself is a giant mistake skill. How can there exist a skill, that allows complete physical immunity all the time? And it isnt a secondary damage type like Chaos (which can be survived with -60% resistance).

Immortal Call is a cheat, put in game by GGG. I wish some day they'll remove this cheat from the game.

I agree actually, it does feel cheap. The game is now balanced around it, or needs to be.
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Nov 11, 2014, 3:57:31 PM
Gotta agree with this analysis.

CWDT+EC+IC felt ez-mode so I tried to play without it. Except on my max block/max spell block toon, there were FAR too many leaper packs that'd jump from offscreen to land on my head all within a couple 1/10s of a second. No potion spamming skills can save you there. On +pack size maps, blue mobs with +crit or enhanced dmg would probably smear any realistically achievable hp/es pool.

As soon as you equip CWDT, all the fear and frustration is gone. Now deaths are due to true 1-shots or bad play, both of which I can control. (Better gear, no dumbass moves)
I'm still one of the few who would rather manually cast it for a significantly longer duration.
IC is a huge mistake in this game I agree.

IC needs to be removed/reworked.

But then again it's one of the few ways to actually do the uber trio (the others being insane dps or tankiness and broken skills like puncture)
cwdt-IC is the top reason armor is in such a miserable state. Instead of reworking armor and physical damage mitigation mechanic they introduced such a cheesy mechanic that I've never seen in any other game.
First off, 3-5 second immediately means the only way people die to physical damage is getting one shot regardless of their tree or their gears.

Hell, even I used the setup for my aegis BOR cycloner back then, which is ridiculous considering all the gears were all optimized and designed to provide damage mitigation through amour and endurance charges.

And let's not talk about reflect where Armour has nothing to say.

I'm wondering why they don't straight integrate cwdt-IC setup in the core mechanic of poe to save everyone a 4 link. Like you only take physical damage in 4 second intervals. lol. Lazy design.
Last edited by Mephisto_n on Nov 12, 2014, 7:36:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info