How the f*ck does Star Citizen make so much money?

How? Ive sen the youtubes, not impressed by the current features available. What? When the news updates come out they make tons of cash? wtf..?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
RIP Diablo franchise

RIP Bird Lovers of Wraeclast <BLÔW>

Congrats Chris & others for cashing out! I don't blame you. I'll be saving money now... unless I start making a lot more. Can't wait to see if you guys start a new studio in six years! RIP GGG
Last edited by ThorOtheBIG on Nov 9, 2014, 10:33:22 PM
Yeah I guess it's a lot of 30+ guys who loved Wing Commander and make enough money to buy ships for hundreds of dollars so Chris Roberts can make his vision come true.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
There is a sucker born every day, and as long as that continues there will always be those who are adept at getting suckers to part with their money.
"
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
There is a sucker born every day, and as long as that continues there will always be those who are adept at getting suckers to part with their money.

YOU!

How dare you lel

Its gonna be freaking hilarious when the developers of this Star Citizen game just bail on the project after they've made like $100m off hipster suckers. What they're promising sounds almost too good to be true, honestly. It doesn't smell right.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Its gonna be freaking hilarious when the developers of this Star Citizen game just bail on the project after they've made like $100m off hipster suckers. What they're promising sounds almost too good to be true, honestly. It doesn't smell right.

Win or lose I think it's worth supporting ambition every now and then. I'd be happy with even a modern Privateer done right.

"
something about Star Citizen doesn't ring true with me. It's incredibly ambitious and extremely well funded, but neither of those are really the key to it all.

I'm not following it as closely as some, but so far I haven't come across too much about the lore and story telling aspects for Star Citizen. The privateer universe had some real character to it, Blade Runner meets Star Wars, it was rad.

"
Michael_GGG wrote:

I'm not following it as closely as some, but so far I haven't come across too much about the lore and story telling aspects for Star Citizen. The privateer universe had some real character to it, Blade Runner meets Star Wars, it was rad.

Prey 2 and Star Wars 1313 were giving me that vibe as well, too bad they got canned :/
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Haters have been yelling 'muh vaporware!' for over a year now, but the game is slowly coming together really well. This shit will be awesome.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Haters have been yelling 'muh vaporware!' for over a year now, but the game is slowly coming together really well. This shit will be awesome.

If the game ends up to be awesome, I'll buy it. But I'm not gonna pay prior to a finished product being delivered. And I'm definitely not juvenile enough to get hyped up over a game just over digital starships delivered out of context of the full game. I'm not that big of a fanboy over anything anymore.

This game _will_ be awesome!

I must admit, my opinion is biased as I pledged it myself - because I am an incredible fan of Wing Commander and especially Privateer 2.

But the dogfighting module already feels so good, natural. Flying is really fun - and the experience gets better with each patch. (Edit: As I also own Elite, I have to say ... the raw flying experience is already better than Elite imho)

Even if they screw story and persistent universe ... it can't already get worse than DNF.

To OPs question: Most of the money comes from people that spend absurd money on virtual ships. I think it is just the childish "I WANT THAT NOW" instinct, and RSI delivers plenty of colored and pretty expensive toys ... err ... ships to play with ... oh wait, a lot are not even in the Hangar yet :p
Last edited by daish0 on Nov 13, 2014, 10:57:16 AM
I like how they are scamming people thousands upon thousands of dollars on ships that don't exist yet in a game that doesn't exist yet.

On top of that they can perma blow up like Eve and you ACTUALLY have to buy INSURANCE for ships.

You can also buy entire solar systems before the game existing.

But yes this game is not P2W and "innovative". Their milestone for one million us dollars at a time is one (yes exactly 1) new ship. Like it takes an entire million dollars to design 1 ship.

They somehow decided to make the game have a hardcore fps module (seriously) before ANY other part of the game is remotely finished. I assume they are going to put a ton of P2W stuff in there too.Oh I forgot to mention, they game also has a subscription model after you pay for the actual game.

This game has a extreme probability of extremely disappointing people worse then elder scrolls online ever will.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info