Optimazing my build and gear - Crit arc CI Witch

So let me start with this, im casual player(1h-2h a day). Starting playing Rampage with realease of Forsaken masters. T wanted to play this league(my first), because i found out that standard sucks(trading mostly).
I made myself some goals i wanted to achieve in this league:
-Make solid spellcaster
-With crit
-with CI(because i always wanted to be CI :D)
-able to do at least 75 maps
-reach 80 lvl

It is my second character, so i was a bit worried about a build(my first character was a summoner pre 1.2, so i just took all minion nodes and it was ok, but i struggled at 73-4+ maps).
It turned out ok-ish, because i completed all of my goals.
However i started struggling at harder mods maps(especially against phys/cold dmg).
Im at 8k ES with discipline, almost 0 armor.
My RNG sucks very much(used 400 jews on my chest and couldn't get 6 socks) but 30min after i dropped exalted(second this league/life). Could use some advice about gearing CI character too.
Looking at other guides(crit arc) i see that all of them are about Atziri gloves(acuicity i think?;d),
so... its not that im poor but my budget is more like 1,5ex not 200+ :D

My Gear:
Spoiler

My skill tree:
Last edited by Gweloss on Nov 2, 2014, 7:49:39 AM
I recommend getting a Vertex helm and a leveled Empower gem (at least lvl 2) then putting your Arc gems into the Vertex. I found that Arc - Empower - Lightning Pen - Spell Echo works better than any 5-link setup, when placed in Vertex/Geoffri's Crest

If you can't afford Vertex, then a Geoffri's Crest will also work well, but it does not have the nice ES that Vertex has
Last edited by AstroSloth on Nov 2, 2014, 7:52:55 AM
There are a few different ways to go about this depending on what you want to focus on. Since you already stated that you want to go crit/CI i might be able to give you a few pointers since that was my main build in the last challenge league, Ambush. It was my fist char that easily made it to lvl 90+ and i had a lot of fun playing her and could solo the 78 Courtyard bosses with RIP mods multiple times after the rest of the group died (happens quite a few times in map groups ;)). Since then the skiltree has changed and there are a lot new options but some of the basics still apply.

A couple tips:
1. get enough cast speed: Arc has a huge damage range and even more so when you go crit. You can literally do 100 damage per cast or 30k so a high cast speed helps bring you more consistency.
For that matter i would also recommend using Faster Casting instead of Spell Echo although the latter would give you a bunch more tooltip dps. The reason is that with Echo certain effects are only rolled once per two casts like for example you are capped at a maximum of 1 power charge per 2 casts even if both crit with PCoC. Once you have sufficient cast speed from gear and passives, you can switch to Echo or just use both.

2. Lightning Penetration is mandatory: The resistance penetration effect is huge and even though it doesn't affect the tooltip dps it does in fact give you 35-140% more effective dps depending on the targets lightning resistance.

3. have a way to mitigate reflect: Arc can do minor to insane damage per cast so better use Purity of Lightning and/or have a Topaz Flask ready. The classic caster spellblock combo Rathpith Globe + Stone of Lazhwar + Rainbowstrides i used on my Witch also works great but be aware that the price for Rathpith is pretty high currently.

4. Leveling gem setup: i'd recommend getting a +2 lightning wand and use Arc + Faster Casting + Lightning Penetration until your build comes together with most of the crit nodes, CI and Ghost Reaver. Once you have a sufficient critchance wou will probably want to use the crit multi support gem and power charge on critical to greatly boost your dps so a 5L would be awesome.

5. get Blood Rage: it's basically 15% free castspeed once you have CI although i wouldn't recommend using it before too much, unless you go early leech.

6. have fun! caster CI builds have worked really well for me so far since you already have a ton of int and can reach a high amount of ES rather easily (6-8k with discipline and gear like the one you linked). The recent 15% damage nerf to Arc even turned out to be a slight buff for my crit build since the base critchance was increased by 25% - in the end i did ~13% more dps than pre-'nerf' ;)
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info