PoE took a shit and named it 2.8 trillion

"
zeto wrote:
we need to take Tpapp's value and multiply it by the skill gem socket combinations, then divide by some X restriction factor because the 100 chosen must be linked, but then divide that restriction factor by the number of starting nodes, then divide that by the number of duplicate paths that include the start nodes.

One could use the A* pathfinding algorithm to programmatically figure out how many possible paths there are as such.

it'll be slightly lower than 1000C100*item skill combinations... the value is so huge though still, that it's unfathomable.

Zeto is right. I was just reminded that you can't actually have all combinations of those 1000 nodes, since you still have to follow a certain path. I checked what you suggested about A* pathfinder, but, that would be tricky to program so it's restricted to following the path u can chose passives in the tree. Its huge, and it isn't linear...post if u get an idea, maybe we could find more people and try to solve it.
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
SmugGamer wrote:
Comparing the number of different charecter builds in d3 to the number of builds in poe is like comparing the sand in a sand box to that of the sand on the beach.

They build a sandcastle, but our sandcastle is bigger. Also, our sandcastle doesn't use sand, it uses stuff that's actually valuable, like Rocks of Wisdom and Mortar of Augmentation.

Actually I like their "sandcastle" the most. Bigger is not always better
These sorts of things are pretty silly on both Blizzard's and PoE's halves. The amount of possible builds means absolutely nothing. What's important is the amount of builds that are different enough from others as to provide a unique gameplay experience. If you had a skill tree with thousands of different stats that had minimal effect on gameplay, you'd have virtually unlimited "builds," but in the end you'd have a shallower less engaging character building experience than even WoW.
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
These sorts of things are pretty silly on both Blizzard's and PoE's halves. The amount of possible builds means absolutely nothing. What's important is the amount of builds that are different enough from others as to provide a unique gameplay experience. If you had a skill tree with thousands of different stats that had minimal effect on gameplay, you'd have virtually unlimited "builds," but in the end you'd have a shallower less engaging character building experience than even WoW.

QFT

After all I don't care if you have 462363732732732 builds. I want the gameplay to be awesome with my build.

Other thing that matters is the diversity. We all know that PoE skill tree is huge but lots of the same passive skills and you don't have that feeling "Oh..I'm level 100..now I'll get the awesome-uber-mega skill!"
People shouldn't read too much into this. It's intended as a mathematical thought exercise and nothing more. I think most people realize that the number we get here has no real significance with regard to the actual gameplay.
Forum Sheriff
So true. I think when it comes down to it there will be a few builds that everyone will go after.

And a few people trying to try something different.
Yea, what tpapp157 said, it's intended just for mathematical purposes and to see the diversities in building your characters. It's not a competition with D3 either, both games have their ups and downs, probably.
It's kinda nice to involve people on the forums in a way that can benefit either their teamwork or mathematical skills(right...xD). Better than searching and responding to spam and useless threads where people beg for keys...etc.
I'm not good with math, but calculating all the socket combo possibilities doesn't seem logical. Why wouldn't you just calculate the maximum number of sockets in each equipment build? You could make the same socket/gem build with a 4 socket item as with 3 socket item but have it be strictly better. (ie, having a helm that has +2 armor and 3 sockets as opposed to the same helm with +2 armor and 3 of the same sockets in addition to a fourth) It's like saying a level 40 char is different to a level 60 char even if their skill/gem progression was the same up until the lvl60 player started leveling past 40.
Last edited by SamIamNot on Oct 23, 2011, 4:24:23 PM
Cleaned up some spam...
Where is 'throwing the number around' technique going to get us?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info