Map drop rates are too high

I think, as with everything it is based on perspective. Casual players who have made it through the end game, are not generally going to get as many map drops as those who play a lot and that is fine. However you can't just reduce map drops because the small percentage of players think the drop rate is too high.

Do they need higher level maps? Absolutely! Should the reduce map drops across the board right now? I personally don't think so. I doubt very seriously the majority, over even close to, would agree that the map drop rate should be reduced.

Really why should they? Sure some of you have a ton of extra maps, yeah for you. If you are bored, that is probably because you have went past the level the game was really designed to go at this point. Again, if they released higher level maps, that would change a bit. However there are a ton of us, who don't have as much time to play. Our maps drops are not going to happen anywhere near those who play a lot. That does not mean we do not deserve some map drops.

Until they have a better way to get high level maps and/or roll out even higher level, I have not heard one good argument to reduce it.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
I have not heard one good argument to reduce it.

1) Less maps would increase currency spent on maps. This currency sink disproportionately effects the wealthy, who run such high level maps, more than the poor who don't.

2) Having goals that different players achieve depending on time investment is useful so that everyone can work toward a goal that they can personally reach. 5/hr week people can work toward campaign completion, 10/hr week people can work on low/mid maps, etc. With easier map supplies there is now a large gap between it and the next goal, Atziri, leaving many people with no goals in their reach.

There are also plenty of reasons to increase map drops or keep it the same, but you said you hadn't heard any to reduce it, so there you go.
Last edited by PolarisOrbit on Oct 31, 2014, 1:10:57 AM
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
I think, as with everything it is based on perspective. Casual players who have made it through the end game, are not generally going to get as many map drops as those who play a lot and that is fine. However you can't just reduce map drops because the small percentage of players think the drop rate is too high.

Do they need higher level maps? Absolutely! Should the reduce map drops across the board right now? I personally don't think so. I doubt very seriously the majority, over even close to, would agree that the map drop rate should be reduced.

Really why should they? Sure some of you have a ton of extra maps, yeah for you. If you are bored, that is probably because you have went past the level the game was really designed to go at this point. Again, if they released higher level maps, that would change a bit. However there are a ton of us, who don't have as much time to play. Our maps drops are not going to happen anywhere near those who play a lot. That does not mean we do not deserve some map drops.

Until they have a better way to get high level maps and/or roll out even higher level, I have not heard one good argument to reduce it.

I dont have much time to play (2, 3 hrs a day absolute max at this point) and I think the drops are too high.

so sorry, that perspective thing isnt all clear cut as you make it out to be.

in fact, Id go even further. Id say Id be 100% fine if I never saw a 78 map drop in 1k+ hours played in poe in one single league.

unlike others (*cough* rhymes with don peas *cough*) who are livid because they think their skill (lol skill in poe) and build should enable them to enter gated content, Im perfectly ok with never even seeing such 'gated' content even if I have the best skill (lol again) and an amazing build.

I dont feel entitled to 'deserve' anything.

now disclaimer here is that I do play standard so YMMV in temp leagues, but Im so perfectly fine with the way it is for me and Im not insecure enough to engage in hardcore-scrubcore holy war. Its the most fun league for me (the only temp league I liked was invasion)
"
grepman wrote:
unlike others (*cough* rhymes with don peas *cough*) who are livid because they think their skill (lol skill in poe) and build should enable them to enter gated content, Im perfectly ok with never even seeing such 'gated' content even if I have the best skill (lol again) and an amazing build
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

grepman bro, +1
"
grepman wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

lol if we are gonna go into politics on map drops its more like dumbing down the education. cant have deidcated players 24/7 running 78s and atziri and showing up casuals so we put artificial cap in place behind rng gating where you have to spend majority of your time on the short bus which does not coincide with your ability.

what ability are you talking about ?
there is no 'ability' in PoE. its not a game where one can discuss 'ability' without a laugh.

the gating youre referring to only blocks unnecessarily fast progress through the levels. and even that is a joke nowadays. how fast someone get to 100 this time around ? two weeks of no life-ing ?
remember how GGG said it should take months and almost years ?

we went from no lifers needing many months to hit 100 to them hitting 100 in 2 weeks in a fresh league...and casuals ending their alts at 80ish to them hitting low 90s

why ? the gap between the casual player and no lifer will always be proportional to the amount of time invested. it never changed. so what happened is that endgame got condensed.

the ONLY reason was that casuals QQed about map drops because they for some reason want everything and they want it now.

that I don't get at all. Im a casual fan myself, but that line of thought, specifically having to do with entitlement, boggles my mind.

the ability of your gear you worked hard to get. It's awaste of time to farm lvl 66 zones for sacs and low level maps when you should be doing 78s, atziri, and above. It's just a stupid grind like sitting in first grade coming out of graduate school.

No one give two shits about your level 100. They just want to have fun themselves. harder content often gives that. Blowing through low level stuff gets old and isnt fun.

D3 Greater rifts does it right. No BS RNG gating. No having to combine 100s of low level maps. You beat a greater rift boss you can move on to next level simple as that.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Oct 31, 2014, 1:34:36 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

lol if we are gonna go into politics on map drops its more like dumbing down the education. cant have deidcated players 24/7 running 78s and atziri and showing up casuals so we put artificial cap in place behind rng gating where you have to spend majority of your time on the short bus which does not coincide with your ability.

what ability are you talking about ?
there is no 'ability' in PoE. its not a game where one can discuss 'ability' without a laugh.

the gating youre referring to only blocks unnecessarily fast progress through the levels. and even that is a joke nowadays. how fast someone get to 100 this time around ? two weeks of no life-ing ?
remember how GGG said it should take months and almost years ?

we went from no lifers needing many months to hit 100 to them hitting 100 in 2 weeks in a fresh league...and casuals ending their alts at 80ish to them hitting low 90s

why ? the gap between the casual player and no lifer will always be proportional to the amount of time invested. it never changed. so what happened is that endgame got condensed.

the ONLY reason was that casuals QQed about map drops because they for some reason want everything and they want it now.

that I don't get at all. Im a casual fan myself, but that line of thought, specifically having to do with entitlement, boggles my mind.

the ability of your gear you worked hard to get. It's awaste of time to farm lvl 66 zones for sacs and low level maps when you should be doing 78s, atziri, and above. It's just a stupid grind like sitting in first grade coming out of graduate school.

No one give two shits about your level 100. They just want to have fun themselves. harder content often gives that. Blowing through low level stuff gets old and isnt fun.

D3 Greater rifts does it right. No BS RNG gating. No having to combine 100s of low level maps. You beat a greater rift boss you can move on to next level simple as that.

1) plenty of people give a shit about 100. Im not one of them, but trust me, plenty of people view it as a carrot on a stick
2) doing harder content- I can agree with that. the problem is that increasing map drops got people doing lesser content with more safety. sure, theres atziri and uber atziri. but otherwise youre leveling through mid 70s maps running WHITE maps or BLUE maps with very little to no death potential (Im not talking about beyond yet)

this is why I argue upping map drops was a bad decision without AT LEAST changing the way maps work. the fact that maps are like other items and can be run white or blue ensured that people will just choose easier content if the supply is abundant. it is ALWAYS better to run a white 77 than a impossible mod 73. AL-WAYS. especially with carto boxes, its no content. a carto box in white 77 and a carto box in 73 with death mods are...drum roll...the same. except 77 will roll maps of its level and 73 will roll zero 77s without spamming like 50 to 70 chaos.

there is no incentive to run lower maps with harder mods (hard content) over higher maps with no mods
(easy content especially if boss is easy)
Well 100 doesnt really mean anything. Get yourself a rathpith sheild and lazhwar for max spell block and roll on without dying which gives great exp. Greater rift in D3 EVERYONE get one shotted GR 38ish or above. Doesnt matter your spec so dodging attacks group play and lucky spawns is essential. I liek that aspect. Where some level of planning is necessary and still have to execute to not get hit. It's only thing D3 does right IMO after all these years. Like to see some sort of rifts here in place of maps..no shame in borrowing.
Git R Dun!
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
I have not heard one good argument to reduce it.

1) Less maps would increase currency spent on maps. This currency sink disproportionately effects the wealthy, who run such high level maps, more than the poor who don't.

Welcome back to OB, with a new "I ran out of maps" thread every day.

Maps are finally what they should be - endgame content reachable for everybody. While no-lifers already have plenty of other things to do (masters to 8, atziri & uber, hunting legacy uniques with Zana...), your "good argument" to reduce map accessibility, would cut more casual / common people from an even wider % of the game.

We are back to OB, where people quit because they couldn't sustain 70s maps.

E:
Not to mention the whole drops system is designed on the premise that your run hundreds of maps, before you loot some good gear.

E2:
And the stupidly wide RNG map drop variance? Good luck throwing a few exalts worth of currency, on your last five high-level maps and getting nothing out of it.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Oct 31, 2014, 5:07:01 AM
Obviously I disagree morbo and have Bad RNG. I followed your advice even and still buy maps. The people bitching have bad RNG people happy have good RNG. The only reason I have not quit this season already is i'm relatively wealthy and can buy maps till cows come home.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Oct 31, 2014, 5:46:15 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Obviously I disagree morbo and have Bad RNG. I followed your advice even and still buy maps. The people bitching have bad RNG people happy have good RNG. The only reason I have not quit this season already is i'm relatively wealthy and can buy maps till cows come home.

Well, I dunno what to say, other than put tinfoil hat on and speculate some global account-bound RNG factor.

I've been doing the exact same thing in Domination, Ambush & Rampage, each time reaching top tier self-found and playing 75 - 78 all day long. (ofc with some trading for orbs to roll 'em).
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info