Game settings, graphics, sound all reset on start

Problem first appeared after an error message and client crash while changing the filtering to 16x

Yes I tried running with admin rights. This did not fix it. I am using steam client.

The complete production_Config looks like this each time restart the client (or it doesn't save it properly when I adjust it?):

Spoiler
[ACTION_KEYS]
attack_in_place=16
chat=13
close_panels=32
detonate_mines=68
enable_corpse_targeting=65
highlight=18
highlight_toggle=90
open_challenges_panel=72
open_character_panel=67
open_inventory_panel=73
open_ladder_panel=76
open_map=9
open_microtransaction_panel=77
open_options=79
open_passive_skills_panel=80
open_social_panel=83
open_world_panel=85
performance_overlay=112
take_screenshot=119
use_bound_skill1=1
use_bound_skill2=5
use_bound_skill3=2
use_bound_skill4=81
use_bound_skill5=87
use_bound_skill6=69
use_bound_skill7=82
use_bound_skill8=84
use_flask_in_slot1=49
use_flask_in_slot2=50
use_flask_in_slot3=51
use_flask_in_slot4=52
use_flask_in_slot5=53
weapon_swap=88
zoom_in=33
zoom_out=34
[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=

so it basically sets everything to standard values except keybindings.

I need a fix, not an explanation why this might be happening.
Last edited by Xantaria on Oct 27, 2014, 4:12:00 PM
Hi Xantaria,

Please try deleting the production_Config.ini file. When you startup the client again, it will create a new production_Config.ini file, which may resolve the issue.
This did not fix the issue. As soon as I change the settings and then exit the client the config file will look like posted above.
Can you please try Verifying your Game Files on the Steam Client? There is an excerpt for Steam users in the given link that may help here.

If that doesn't work, I would also recommend checking that this production_config.ini file is not set to 'Read Only' and try changing your settings manually using notepad. Let us know if this helps.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
I tried all of this before. I used PackCheck and the steam file check thingy right when this occured first time. When manually changing it will work for the next startup, it will be resetted on the next one however.

The config is not set to 'read only'.
Last edited by Xantaria on Oct 28, 2014, 11:21:24 AM
Through logical thinking I came to the conclusion why this is happening.

The config file stops at

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=

So this might be the root of the problem and also the reason why I don't loose my keybinds which are set before the display settings. - PoE does not recognize my GPU and thus is not writing anything below the GPU name that it can't identify into the config file. I have a small idea why this is happening (because I'm using nvidia 314.22 drivers with a modded inf file so that it does support my 760 GTX because I had stability issues, 314.22 usually does not work with 760 GTX)
Upgrading my drivers to a more recent version to maybe fix this issue is not an option because this is the only driver version I do not get permanent screen freezes with while playing.
This still does not explain why this was not a problem before and damn it makes me angry. I can't and I will not play PoE like this.

And also tell your programmers an easy way to fix it: let the client still save the settings even tho he does not recognize the card. Make him still write settings below this part, even if this part fails:

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=

I mean PoE runs fine on any settings once I set them but I can't be bothered to set them everytime I restart the client. Hell no. And all that because client decides to stop writing stuff below the one setting that failed.
Last edited by Xantaria on Oct 28, 2014, 4:45:38 PM
Move the display section to the bottom, and try giving it a random name. See if that solves the issue.
Interesting idea! will test when I get home. However I think he will most likely not accept the position change and put it back to it's original position, but let's see!
well it did not work.

But I found a fix for now. I have two documents on my desktop. One is a link to the production config that will fuck up everytime and the other one contains the perfect settings for me. So before starting the client I just copy the content of that one into the linked config. that's a few clicks. Not as annoying as it is to set every setting manually ingame.
Last edited by Xantaria on Oct 29, 2014, 2:50:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info