What solo mapping from 95-96 looks like

I was able to, for the first time in over 1300 hours, get a character above level 90 after the Forsaken Masters expansion. I'm sitting at lvl 93 right now, and know I could get to 94 with patience, but I can't imagine going much beyond that.

My strategy, once I built up a small map pool, was to Alch nearly every map lvl 72 and above and use Chaos to alter nasty rolls. I mostly only chiseled lvl 76 or higher (since there's the possibility for lvl 78 maps), but I chiseled lower when my map pool was getting low and I had some saved up. I didn't have much currency as I was leveling (I frequently had to farm The Catacombs to maintain my supply of Alchs), but I could sustain enough Chaos with the Chaos recipe to ensure regular rerolls. However, I wasn't picky. I usually ran the first reroll that I could handle, for the sake of saving currency, and didn't bother trying to get pack size or magic monsters. I've never used the Onslaught mod; it's too pricey for me. I now have a good supply of 74-76 maps, although I'm always worried about running out, even though it hasn't happened yet. I did have a nice supply of 77-78 at one point, but I used much of that to reach level 93.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Krayken wrote:
I make quite a lot of profit from solo mapping.

Here is your problem :

1. You dont alch/chaos your high level maps and therefore doesn't get enough map drops.

2. You avoid tons of map mods which means you need to spend more currency to craft your map/skip nice high IQ map roll because you don't want to deal with its mods.

This is all incorrect, and I'm not sure you actually read my post.

#1) I get plenty of map drops. I have more 77-78 map drops than currency to roll them. I do not run 75/76 maps due to lack of drops, but rather lack of currency to properly roll 77/78 maps. If you could always perfectly roll maps (chisel/alch/chaos for pack mod/onslaught/run), you could get close to permantently staying in 77+, but the expense is far beyond what is sustainable solo.

#2) Because I alt for pack mods (which are suffixes), and all but one of the mods I avoid are suffixes, it does not add any meaningful expense to avoid those mods. I doubt it took more than one stack of alts to avoid ele reflect maps. Also, pack mods are far more effective for drops than a small boost in IIQ.

My method results in 90-110% IIQ maps with pack mods on 77-78 maps, which is more than sufficient to sustain a pool.

Then you must be doing something wrong. You say you get enough map drops but how come you don't make profit from selling them? And sorry but Alch / Chaos is far better than alts map pack / regals. Not even close. If you want to prove me wrong then try and show me mathematically how is it better please.

Oh i realize you use the 8 chaos onslaught mod. Lol no wonder why you crush all your profits.

With alchs-chaos i get 90%+ IQ maps (or 70%+ map packs) spending less currency than you do in alts and regals alone. But then i run ele reflect / minus max mods which i find way more entertaining anyway.
Last edited by Krayken on Oct 27, 2014, 12:36:49 PM
"
Krayken wrote:
Then you must be doing something wrong. You say you get enough map drops but how come you don't make profit from selling them? And sorry but Alch / Chaos is far better than alts map pack / regals. Not even close. If you want to prove me wrong then try and show me mathematically how is it better please.

Oh i realize you use the 8 chaos onslaught mod. Lol no wonder why you crush all your profits.

With alchs-chaos i get 90%+ IQ maps (or 70%+ map packs) spending less currency than you do in alts and regals alone. But then i run ele reflect / minus max mods which i find way more entertaining anyway.

I already answered the question about selling maps. Read the thread. Also, when I was doing this, it was 6 chaos and not 8 for onslaught. Again... Read. The. Thread.

Alch/chaos yields inferior map drops to my method unless you do one of the following:
1) alch/chaos until you get 90%+ IIQ with a pack mod [more expensive than my method, not any better]

2) alch/chaos until you get a pack mod and then add onslaught [more expensive than my method, but better; best possible way to roll your maps at the moment]

The math is quite simple: 90%+ IIQ with a pack mod yields more XP and more map drops than flat 90%+ IQ or 70%+ with pack mods.

Like I said, it *may* be possible to self-sustain a 77+ pool solo without rolling your maps quite as well as I have been, but I've not seen any proof that what you claim is viable for staying in 77+. It's viable from a currency perspective, but I don't think so from a map drop perspective. Not over the course of hundreds of maps anyways. I say that because while I'm sustaining my 77-78 pool, it's not growing beyond what's necessary to hedge against bad runs of RNG. I think that running inferior maps to what I'm doing, you would run out of 77/78 maps, which is very very bad at level 94+.

You don't need to do what I'm doing if all you care about is sustaining 75+, but if you want to sustain 77+, I haven't seen anyone able to do it over a long period of time, solo, for less currency investment.

For what it's worth, the alt-regal method spends about 2.5 chaos per map on average (1.5 chaos for the regal, about 1 chaos of alts to get your pack mod). You're not going to spend less than that chaosing for 90%+ IIQ on average. You also have to factor in that my method allows you to run your 75/76 maps for essentially free, since you don't have to rely on them to sustain your map pool. If you don't roll your 77/78 maps as well, you will have to compensate by spending more on your 75/76 maps to keep the pool up.

That means that for 77/78 maps with an 8 chaos onslaught mod, you're spending roughly 12 chaos per map using my method. That's easily worth it for 78 maps and not too bad for 77s. If you were open to buying maps, it may be best to buy 77s and only roll 78s this way after the increase to the Onslaught price.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 27, 2014, 2:03:57 PM
You are wrong when you assume Alch/chaos is more expensive than Alt+regals. It is less expensive. I used to alt my maps before, believe me when i say its clearly inferior. It's safer of course but you're playing low life mjolner, dont tell me you can't handle the harder map mods. My previous toon was a budget life mjolner and had no problem solo lvling him to 95. The only map mods i would avoid was blood magic or minus max (over -20%) when combined with ele reflect.

Also, 50% map pack is inferior to 50% IQ (because it doesnt increases the number of rares and doesnt give boss maps any more item drops).

With 4 chisels + alch it's nearly impossible to get under 60% IQ. Thats one Alch + 4 chisels so roughly 2.2 chaos worth to craft the map. Most of the times its over 80% IQ right there, almost every times with either map pack, more rares or more magic mod.

How many Alts do you need to get map pack? Like 20? Probably more. Thats 2 chaos worth fucking right there! Then yolo regal (1.5 chaos worth) for only 1 mod (that can add as little as 12% IQ)? How exacly is it more profitable than alch/chaos? Please explain me.

There are so many peoples who are stuborn just like you about their beloved alt+regal way of crafting maps. Guess what? Those are the only ones making a whining thread about solo mapping on the forums. Never seen anyone using alch/chaos complaint about it.

Im trying to help you but you seem to be content just whining on the forums. How about you try it and put your 300 exalts low life toon to the test, for once?
Last edited by Krayken on Oct 27, 2014, 5:20:56 PM
"
iMbaQ wrote:
"
Krayken wrote:
You are wrong when you assume Alch/chaos is more expensive than Alt+regals. It is less expensive. I used to alt my maps before, believe me when i say its clearly inferior. It's safer of course but you're playing low life mjolner, dont tell me you can't handle the harder map mods. My previous toon was a budget life mjolner and had no problem solo lvling him to 95. The only map mods i would avoid was blood magic or minus max (over -20%) when combined with ele reflect.

Also, 50% map pack is inferior to 50% IQ (because it doesnt increases the number of rares and doesnt give boss maps any more item drops).

With 4 chisels + alch it's nearly impossible to get under 60% IQ. Thats one Alch + 4 chisels so roughly 2.2 chaos worth to craft the map. Most of the times its over 80% IQ right there, almost every times with either map pack, more rares or more magic mod.

How many Alts do you need to get map pack?worth Like 20? Probably more. Thats 2 chaos worth fucking right there! Then yolo regal (1.5 chaos ) for only 1 mod (that can add as little as 12% IQ)? How exacly is it more profitable than alch/chaos? Please explain me.

There are so many peoples who are stuborn just like you about their beloved alt+regal way of crafting maps. Guess what? Those are the only ones making a whining thread about solo mapping on the forums. Never seen anyone using alch/chaos complaint about it.

Im trying to help you but you seem to be content just whining on the forums. How about you try it and put your 300 exalts low life toon to the test, for once?

[Removed by Support]

Oh sorry i tend to sound like one after someone refuted my tips twice without proper explanations, acting like what he does is the be it end all and best way to do it. It's like why is he complaining to begin with? He says he doesn't run out of maps. Then whats the problem? He runs out of currency? Then i point out that might be because he's using Zana onslaught mods. I suggest him another, much cheaper way to maintain a map pool then he refutes it. What do you expect from me? Why create a thread when it's to ignore what other peoples suggest?
Last edited by Simon_GGG on Oct 27, 2014, 6:36:31 PM
"
Krayken wrote:
Oh sorry i tend to sound like one after someone refuted my tips twice without proper explanations, acting like what he does is the be it end all and best way to do it. It's like why is he complaining to begin with? He says he doesn't run out of maps. Then whats the problem? He runs out of currency? Then i point out that might be because he's using Zana onslaught mods. I suggest him another, much cheaper way to maintain a map pool then he refutes it. What do you expect from me? Why create a thread when it's to ignore what other peoples suggest?

Your posts have reflected that you have not actually read and understood my post(s), hence my gruff responses. The fact that you think I'm complaining is one example of this.

Are you claiming consistent 77+ solo sustainability from your supposedly cheaper method over the span of hundreds of maps?

BTW getting a pack mod averages something around 10-ish alts, hardly 20+. I'm not going for just pack size - it's any pack mod (size/magic/rares). That or I've just been really lucky with my rolls.

I got better map drops and was able to have more currency available for rolling high level maps using this method compared to alch/chaos + go which I used for the majority of the 140 ish maps that it took me to level from 94 to 95. I'm not just talking out my ass here; I've actually tested most of the map rolling methods out there, and the one I described in the OP is the one I have had the best and most consistent results with as far as cost/benefit goes for trying to stay in 77+ maps.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 27, 2014, 11:06:30 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Krayken wrote:

Your posts have reflected that you have not actually read and understood my post(s), hence my gruff responses. The fact that you think I'm complaining is one example of this.

Are you claiming consistent 77+ solo sustainability from your supposedly cheaper method over the span of hundreds of maps?

BTW getting a pack mod averages something around 10-ish alts, hardly 20+. I'm not going for just pack size - it's any pack mod (size/magic/rares). That or I've just been really lucky with my rolls.

I got better map drops and was able to have more currency available for rolling high level maps using this method compared to alch/chaos + go which I used for the majority of the 140 ish maps that it took me to level from 94 to 95. I'm not just talking out my ass here; I've actually tested most of the map rolling methods out there, and the one I described in the OP is the one I have had the best and most consistent results with as far as cost/benefit goes for trying to stay in 77+ maps.

Since masters patch, yes. I run about 10 maps a day on weekdays and about 20 maps per days on weekends (sometimes more). Since master patch i lvled my mjolner toon from 0 to 95 (last lvl took about 120 maps) I also played two other toons. Sometimes i have to fall down on lvl 76 maps though, sometimes i have 15+ lvl 78 maps stacked. RNG is still and always will be RNG.

But unlike you, i manage to make profit (according to your OP, you are stuck at 3 exalts). Example : i managed to earn 230 exalts since masters patch release about 2.5 months ago (which i used to buy a legacy shav). Your lack of profit is the reason you made that thread right? I just explained you how i do it.

I mean yeah Onslaught mod is a very nice way to maintain a map pool, but at what cost? Does that 53% extra quantity (my zana is lvl 7 so thats 60-7 = 53%) guarantee at least one additional lvl 76 + map drop (which is the minimum map to cover that 8 chaos fee)? No it doesn't.

Just to make it more clear, let's say that 53% extra quantity actually guaranteed one lvl 76 map drop on average. That would mean that a map without any IQ would drop on average two lvl 76 maps. If (map loot) * 53% = 1 lvl 76, then (map loot) = very close to 2 lvl 76 maps. This is simple math. But obviously that is far from the case, else no one would ever need to craft their maps, their map pool being easily sustainable with white maps.

Using my method you can get almost just as high IQ as your method (so you can still maintain your map pool) but without that 8 chaos fee. So obviously the profit per maps is much better, resulting in actual profit rather than barely any profit at all. The downside is that the maps are a bit harder to run. Yeah you need to run some fucking pain in the ass temporal chains maps, some ele reflect map (rumi's + topaz flask greatly help as a mjolner in that case) but thats the cost of actually making profit while lvling, i personally don't mind it.
"
Krayken wrote:
Your lack of profit is the reason you made that thread right?

I made this thread to share my experience mapping from 95-96. I thought that would be obvious.

"
Krayken wrote:
But unlike you, i manage to make profit (according to your OP, you are stuck at 3 exalts). Example : i managed to earn 230 exalts since masters patch release about 2.5 months ago... I just explained you how i do it.

You are either lying, won the lottery on drops, or are playing a very different game than I am.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 28, 2014, 9:10:34 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Krayken wrote:
Your lack of profit is the reason you made that thread right?

I made this thread to share my experience mapping from 95-96. I thought that would be obvious.

"
Krayken wrote:
But unlike you, i manage to make profit (according to your OP, you are stuck at 3 exalts). Example : i managed to earn 230 exalts since masters patch release about 2.5 months ago... I just explained you how i do it.

You are either lying, won the lottery on drops, or are playing a very different game than I am.

Yes apparently im playing a different game than yours where i'm smart enough not to burn all my profit crafting my maps.

About 100 of those 230 exalts came from selling maps. I'd say maybe 50 exalts from my shop (didn't find anything good in the past 3 months aside from auxium which i still have in stash since i might need it for my next build). The best uniques i found besides that were 1 ex uniques like a few rainbows and a few rathpith. The rest of my profit came from regal recipes, alts from vendoring rares, chroms, jews from recipes. You act like 230 exalts in 2 months and a half is such a big deal haha. Some players out there laugh at this profit over 2.5 months.

And you obviously didn't read my post (pretty ironic considering that you told me the same about 20 times). I proved you mathematically how onslaught mod on average CANT make up for the 8 chaos fee. But obviously you can't even understand basic maths.

I give up with your arrogant ass. Now you call me a liar. That is laughable how completely helpless you are. Go on and keep wasting your profit on onslaught mods but please don't come over the forum crying all over the place how you can't make profit.

"I made this thread to share my experience mapping from 95-96." Yeah right you did! I see it more like "I made this thread to share how I managed to earn zero profit after running 140 maps therefore solo play is unsustainable".

I saw it as huge complaint "whaaaaaaa! maintaining a map pool solo is almost impossible!!!! I only have 3 exalts left whaaaaaaa!!! i have to take a break from this flawed game!!!"

Well I guess some players are just way better than you are at this game.
Last edited by Krayken on Oct 28, 2014, 9:48:34 PM
Seeing how I made about 30-40 exalts selling maps since forsaken masters (from running ~500 74+ maps), I'd say you're either just playing a huge amount more than me (nolifing), playing a very different game, or lying.

230 exalts in 2.5 months is flipper/nolifer income.

Also, putting words in my mouth and namecalling is super sexy. You stay classy.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 28, 2014, 10:49:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info