Discharge Causing Hard System Power Off

I have been trying to find exactly what is happening and everything is coming back to PoE. I recently built this new computer and only have issues when playing PoE.

The problem arises when I use Discharge when lots of enemy are close. Its like the keyboard button for Discharge is actually the power switch on the power supply. It immediately causes a power loss.

It doesn't happen every time, but both times when I had 6 power charges and 3 endurance charges - opening a strongbox and right when all the mobs spawn firing off that discharge powers off my computer.

The computer won't turn back on for at least 30 min (that makes me think its a heat issue, but my gpu temp never goes above 68 degrees, and the cpu temp never goes above 52 degrees, and the power supply is cool to the touch when this happens). I just ran passmark and didn't have any issues with 100% load on cpu and gpu tests (done separately).

I have turned off intel's turbo boost in my UFEI and still had the issue. When I turned the max processor state to 90% I didn't have any issues. I didn't do an extended test, I plan to now or tomorrow, but I don't have this issue playing any other game.

My computer specs are
Corsair AX850 PSU
i7 4790k
Kraken x41 AIO cpu cooler
EVGA GTX780 ti w/ACX
AsRock z97 Extreme 9 Mobo
Corsair Dominator Platinum 8x2 2133mhz

Anyone have any thoughts on how PoE could be causing a massive power spike, enough to cause my psu to lock up. Also when this happens, the usb ports still have power as does the lan card and the light on my Kraken water cooler.

Thanks
I thought everything was fixed, possibly with these mini updates, but my computer is currently powered off and I probably won't be able to turn it back on for an hour or so, going from past experiences.

Everything was going fine, although discharge, especially the first of a map causes a fps spike to ~10, then back up to ~144. I had opened many strongboxes and fired off a discharge and there were no issues. It has been a yellow one that caused the problem this time, most likely because of the increased amount of enemys that spawn.

What is the deal, I'm sure most people don't have this issue, but it certainly is an issue for me. Why the massive spike is fps when discharge is used? Poor coding? I mean I love this game but it is frustrating when it literally kills my computer trying to play it.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

P.S. I only have SSD for storage, and I even put PoE in a ram disk but it still had fps spikes when using discharge.

Is there any monitoring software I can have running that could determine what fault is taking place? Because it is an instantaneous loss of power.

P.P.S I just tried logging in from a different computer and apparently I lost the map I was in also, how long does your hideout stay active before it resets? I don't think it took more that 10 min to log back in... do hideouts get erased every 8 min?
Last edited by Absolute_Zero_81 on Oct 27, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
All instances reset after 8 to 15 minutes.

As for the issue, it sounds like a PSU issue, but it's hard to say without a spare PSU to test with.
So at this point I am 3 for 3.

Opening a Yellow Stongbox (or armours, not sure the exact type) and as soon as the mobs spawn I fire off a discharge and it fully powers off the computer.

I am going to get a new psu tomorrow, but this is a new one and I don't have this type of issue with any other game or program.

Is there a logging program inside PoE that can track the cause of this power crash?

Normally it takes a very long time for my computer to turn back on, but I have found if i remove the atx power cables from the psu and remove the plug from the psu the computer powered on in record time (I just did this and it took less that 2 minutes and it powered back on). I know this makes it sound like a psu issue, but i don't have any other issue like this with anything else.
Last edited by Absolute_Zero_81 on Oct 28, 2014, 12:25:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info