lol
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
"
ventiman wrote:
"
JNF wrote:
"

It hasn't, it can't and wont be, and no it shouldn't be

Besides the guy was even nice enough to offer to sell it back, so in my eyes that's your loss for not paying the ransom

How do you sleep at night? Or do you just run around sucking people's blood at night and sleep during the day?

you realize poe is just a mirror of society right ?
ahh it pains me to say this but iam with bmbi on this one

take a step outside and you will see this happening all the time he fucked up now he has to pay the price its called experience
There are two issues here. The first is that some people are greedy and will prey upon others to satisfy their need "to have more at the expense of other people". That is the world we live in, so it is best to be careful with valuables.

Second, the staff at POE are in a position to respond to such predators. By ignoring things like this that are brought to their attention, they expose their own lack of a moral compass and encourage others to act similarly. They are creating a culture of greed and mistrust. They should act and do so publicly. They should make a statement that POE is not a community of thieves and blackmailers. By not acting they are saying that they do not care how members treat each other and it is OK to take what is not yours if you can.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
ventiman wrote:
"
JNF wrote:

How do you sleep at night? Or do you just run around sucking people's blood at night and sleep during the day?

you realize poe is just a mirror of society right ?
ahh it pains me to say this but iam with bmbi on this one

take a step outside and you will see this happening all the time he fucked up now he has to pay the price its called experience
There are two issues here. The first is that some people are greedy and will prey upon others to satisfy their need "to have more at the expense of other people". That is the world we live in, so it is best to be careful with valuables.

Second, the staff at POE are in a position to respond to such predators. By ignoring things like this that are brought to their attention, they expose their own lack of a moral compass and encourage others to act similarly. They are creating a culture of greed and mistrust. They should act and do so publicly. They should make a statement that POE is not a community of thieves and blackmailers. By not acting they are saying that they do not care how members treat each other and it is OK to take what is not yours if you can.

In my opinion, that is unfair. GGG has stated all along that they will not get involved in such matters. I assume that the reason it that once they get involved in such matters then they will be forced to spend huge amounts of effort in judging/investigating/punishing. At the end of all that they will just be worse off because then people will become enraged when their own grievances are not ruled in their favor. It would be a bottomless and thankless pit of resource expenditure with no positive net return possible.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Moderating a large and popular website is no easy matter; it made worse when the members come from many different countries and cultures. It is not only difficult, it is as you say, thankless. And when you add running a game like POE to the site management, it only gets worse. The easy path is to do nothing and let the social and cultural norms of the dominant members, be the norms of for all.

I happen to feel, though, that with success comes responsibility. The economic model of POE is one rooted in the accumulation of game wealth (orbs and rare gear) to convey status and power within the community. People will go to great lengths to get an item they need/want or can sell to get what they need/want. It reminds me of the heyday of Magic the Gathering in the mid 1990s when rare cards and high real dollar prices created a powerful elite among players. Such a system kept the game from growing out of its niche and Wizards of the Coast had to rethink how they wanted to handle those powerful and card wealthy players as they tried to take the game mainstream.

Anyway, I do not know what Chris and company have for goals or if they even care about how members interact with one another. But I would hope that "honesty" would not be to much of stretch for them to include in their core values. Does enforcing standards at a website cost time and money? Yes it does. The situation under discussion does not seem to be a difficult one to fix, and fixing it might well open the door to other now unreported incidents. I'm sure a few volunteers from among the trusted members would take on some small level of moderation and dispute resolution. This has all been done before all across the internet. A great game deserves a great website where members know dishonesty will not be tolerated, but also, you will not be saved from your stupidity.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
IGN: reigNNNNNN
Last edited by besplash on Feb 21, 2015, 6:26:43 PM
Would you handle a pair of 500$ gloves to carelessly IRL? Take it as a lesson and be more careful in future.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
IGN: reigNNNNNN
Last edited by besplash on Feb 21, 2015, 6:26:52 PM
"
ChanBalam wrote:

Predators? What predator? There was nobody out trying to scam anybody here. Somebody just handed the guy an item. Sure, it's not very nice to keep the item that was given to him by mistake, but it was GIVEN to him. He did not ask for it. He did not trick anybody into giving it to him. GGG has no responsibility here. They can't go around mediating He Said / She Said disputes. They would be innundated with people who have buyer's remorse and want to undo trades they regret. All you'd have to do is say "I accidentally traded with the wrong person" to get a trade undone? Don't be ridiculous. There is no wrong doing here. Just a guy being a douche. But he isn't a scammer and he didn't do anything "illegal" or against the ToS. If you donate blood to the red cross, can you later go back and ask for your blood back because you meant to give it to some vampire? A gift is a gift. The receiver of that gift has no obligation to give it back.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Why is this going on three pages?
I hate this policy of no name and shame. Anonymity is why people are assholes. Happens in big cities, happens online, and happens in this game.

We should have a do not trade/associate with thread like most places. I collect watches and this watch forum I go to certainly has a name and shame policy if you send someone a misrepresented product or dont send it at all. Assholes dont last long with this in place.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Oct 28, 2014, 11:47:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info