Gameplay Motivation.

Since I am playing POE (beginning OB) I allways had on- and offphases. Sometimes you hit a wall, or your build didn't pan out as planned or you tried everything you wanted that league.
Nothing wrong with that.

But I am now approaching a stage of complete boredom in POE. FYI I never had a 6l beside Tabula, and I stopped at 1k fuses this league because my 5l critreave allready cleared 78 fast enough to the extend I had to ask myself "why even bother".

I tried every active skillgem now. For some I made a build, some I just plugged into other builds where they fit so I experience the way they play. Some made it to maps, some just cleared merciless and did some Piety runs.

I was allways a fan of fast clearing builds with 1 AOE skill and 1 singletarget skill. FOR ME, the success of a build IS and WAS allways tied to speed or fun.

The problem is, once you have had a really fast clearer, you can't go back. Even if you have a character decked out to be 85% as effective, I feel slow. And thats where I lose interest in a build, because it doesn't feel as strong as something I had before, even though it is fast and strong enough per se.

I also strongly feel that Critdmg, even if consecutivly nerfed on the tree over the course of 2 years, is absolutely destroying the gamebalance. Reflect does most of the time hold critbuilds back, but only as long as they dont itemise or skill against it.

There would be so many possibilities out there, but the fact that not going crit resulting in (at least for me) stale gameplay becasue of slowlyness just made this game boring to me.

Just this time it's not "Yeah I come back later to try XYZ Build", it rather is "Why even bother when I need to go crit to enjoy my builds".

Where are the possibilities for noncrit builds?
Where are the possibilities for on-hit builds?

Am I the only one feeling that way? I'd really like to keep playing, but atm this game is at a point of no return for me. I love POE, I just can't love it anymore in the state that it is now.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
Learn 2 play, not farm.

Peace,

-Boem-

(i don't think there is a more upfront way of saying what i mean, sorry)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Learn 2 play, not farm.

Peace,

-Boem-

(i don't think there is a more upfront way of saying what i mean, sorry)

And as I said, my fun and gameplay experience comes from the effectivenes of a build. Being and FEELING effective does not mean for me to have a fast farmer. It of course is a positive sideeffect that you farm faster if you clear faster.

But that is not what gives me enjoyment. It's the feeling of knowing you can crush through your oponents, that nothing can stop you and whatever you do, you feel powerful.

A RT build does not feel powerful to me. NOT AFTER playing my claw critreaver.

Last edited by Vincendra on Oct 25, 2014, 3:59:52 PM
Being and feeling effective in a Grinding Gear Games is exactly what i told you.

A farm character.

Usually those characters are utilized to support the more creative and pointless stuff that happens after the farming.

Since you don't desire to be creative or pointless while gaming, i suggest uninstal.exe, it will yield less frustration with your mind-set imo.

Having fun in PoE means your effectively getting behind on the group that is working PoE, if you experience that as a bad thing, so be it?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I completely aggree with the OP and the only way to fix the mentioned problem is to nerf crit Extremely hard ... not talking about 10% overall ... this needs to be like a 60% overall nerf.

Not going to happen tho ...

---> There will never be a balance between crit / noncrit builds.
Last edited by Xantaria on Oct 25, 2014, 5:18:37 PM
i agree with you about the speed thing.

i played a spectral throw two hand sword build (1.88 atk sp sword) and my attacks per second was insane (like 9.5 attacks per second double strike) i jumped around and attacked with soo much speed.

now i play a infernal blow build which is quicker now that i have a soul taker but its still molasses in comparison. its not nearly as fun but ive stuck with him which is why im lvl 90.

at some point soon I will go back to the speed build and wonder why i ever left.
IGN- Shaeyaena
Redefine what you mean by "viable" and the game is a lot more fun.
Alts really do end up becoming pretty useless, which is a big shame. The only map mods my main can't do are blood magic and no regen, so of course all I'd need then is a BM alt with lots of leech and I'm able to do every map mod in the game. There really isn't much reason to make an alt beyond trying to have fun, but that fun gets kicked right over once you're playing the alt and realise there's really nothing to gain by playing it. I could go make one of the 500 different builds I thought would be interesting, but why bother? I'll just be getting less reward for the same amount of time spent.

And this is coming from someone with enough alts to have bought character slots. I know it's ineffective and I do it anyway cause that's the part of the game I find fun. I just wish I could both be having fun AND be playing the game effectively. How this could be achieved I'm not totally sure. More off-the-wall map mods? Side areas designed to favour less conventional builds? More permanent character defining attributes? Really anything would help.

But yeah. Making interesting alts just for the sake of it is fun but you really get nothing out of having an extremely complex build when more crit+speed=best no matter what.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Redefine what you mean by "viable" and the game is a lot more fun.

I never mentioned the term "viable".

"
the game is a lot more fun

It means what it means. It means I am not bored by it and close it. A fun game can captivate me more then 2h/ day. When I am bored by a game I close it, no matter what. If I set a specific goal but boredom overshadows fun, I stop playing.

EG.: I wanted to craft myself a 6l this league. 1000 fuses in the pros didn't outweight the cons and so I stopped.

ya its long overdue to buff 2 hand weapons!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info