As a former game developer, I am appalled

"
_Elminister_ wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

It's actually doing a lot against cheating it's designed to prevent.

Great. Meanwhile it feels like I'm playing a game that is in pre-beta state. I'd rather have cheating, which btw doesn't affect my gameplay what-so-ever, than this.

too late for that decision. right now choices are you either accept and play or dont accept and dont play.

personally, Id rather play a more buggy game with great ideas like poe than a baby butt skin smooth gameplay, bug-free game with crap dumb-down ideas.

but like black sheep says, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9F5xcpjDMU
I cant even begin to get my head around the amount of nonsense being spoken in this thread, esp people who have been around these parts long enough to have read the dev manifesto on desync, and are still completely unable to gasp it. In order to avoid dying to desync you stop making bad characters with bad defenses that cant survive taking a few hits. Then you learn how to shift click to hold in place. Is it really that hard? No.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
In order to avoid dying to desync you stop making bad characters with bad defenses that cant survive taking a few hits. Then you learn how to shift click to hold in place. Is it really that hard? No.

You described the problem perfectly. Game forcing you to make a build X, use skills Y, and play it following the pattern Z.

Well, 'forcing' might sound a bit harsh, how about 'nudging'?
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 29, 2014, 5:28:42 PM
"
grepman wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

Doesn't make any sense to me as a rationale for why not to fix desync. PoE appears to me to have the same problems with bots and cheaters that D3 did, so I don't know why GGG feels the need to throw desync on top.

this is what you don't get. its not the rationale for 'not fixing' desync.

desync is not a bug, its a side effect of a feature of a huge underlying netcode decision GGG has made a lot of time ago - to go with asynchronous request/response model based on client-side predictions. so what youre citing is the rationale for that initial decision, not the decision to 'not to fix it'.

desync will not be 'fixed' in this game. it cannot be 'fixed' without completely removing the predictive system and replacing it with another system. which means someone will have to rewrite the biggest part of the game completely, test it completely, etc. all in released version of the product, which is a pretty successful product too.

the overhead is huge and it is very likely that it is literally easier and cheaper just to make poe2 without the predictive system than to fix the existing one.

anyone who thinks that 'fixing desync' can be compared to hundreds, even thousands of trivial bug fixes has no clue about how process of industrial software cycle works.
you're asking for a whole engine revamp on a released product. not. gonna. happen.

people can and maybe should blame GGG for the initial decision to go with predictive system. in practice their rationale of 'game will be smoother' and 'less cheaters' as opposed to traditional model used in dota, etc, didnt quite prove to be worth the desync issues.

people blaming gGGGfor 'not fixing desync' in its current iteration, have no clue about software engineering or are just extremely ignorant and refuse to read whats been written a thousand times on here.

I would argue that "implementing a broken system" and "refusing to change the broken system" are the same thing as far as the need to fix something is concerned.

The concept they outlined in their dev manifesto was and is noble, but the execution and the reality are awful. Desync has a much more negative impact on players than the few extra cheaters would if they changed their sync model to fix desync.

Desync isn't an issue for 1000+ hour players. You learn to deal with it. It's an issue for new players and the longevity of the game, because it makes the entire game feel like it was coded by a bunch of 15 year olds.

They implemented something broken for noble reasons that in point of fact don't matter. They chose the greater of two evils.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 29, 2014, 5:29:45 PM
Get gud scrub.
Noblesse oblige
"
grepman wrote:
people blaming gGGGfor 'not fixing desync' in its current iteration, have no clue about software engineering or are just extremely ignorant and refuse to read whats been written a thousand times on here.

The fact that people say something a thousand times does not make it true, no matter how hard you want to believe it. I am also fairly comfortable that I do in fact have a clue about software engineering, and actually do understand desync and the challenges imposed by a predictive system and latencies. A 20+ second desync as shown in the video above can be mitigated, just as the desync caused when opening strongboxes. It does not require an engine rewrite or a PoE 2.0. This stuff is not new. PoE is not the first game dealing with this issue. It is simply a matter of investment.
Last edited by vezuial on Oct 29, 2014, 6:35:48 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

Doesn't make any sense to me as a rationale for why not to fix desync. PoE appears to me to have the same problems with bots and cheaters that D3 did, so I don't know why GGG feels the need to throw desync on top.

this is what you don't get. its not the rationale for 'not fixing' desync.

desync is not a bug, its a side effect of a feature of a huge underlying netcode decision GGG has made a lot of time ago - to go with asynchronous request/response model based on client-side predictions. so what youre citing is the rationale for that initial decision, not the decision to 'not to fix it'.

desync will not be 'fixed' in this game. it cannot be 'fixed' without completely removing the predictive system and replacing it with another system. which means someone will have to rewrite the biggest part of the game completely, test it completely, etc. all in released version of the product, which is a pretty successful product too.

the overhead is huge and it is very likely that it is literally easier and cheaper just to make poe2 without the predictive system than to fix the existing one.

anyone who thinks that 'fixing desync' can be compared to hundreds, even thousands of trivial bug fixes has no clue about how process of industrial software cycle works.
you're asking for a whole engine revamp on a released product. not. gonna. happen.

people can and maybe should blame GGG for the initial decision to go with predictive system. in practice their rationale of 'game will be smoother' and 'less cheaters' as opposed to traditional model used in dota, etc, didnt quite prove to be worth the desync issues.

I would argue that "implementing a broken system" and "refusing to change the broken system" are the same thing as far as the need to fix something is concerned.

The concept they outlined in their dev manifesto was and is noble, but the execution and the reality are awful. Desync has a much more negative impact on players than the few extra cheaters would if they changed their sync model to fix desync.

Desync isn't an issue for 1000+ hour players. You learn to deal with it. It's an issue for new players and the longevity of the game, because it makes the entire game feel like it was coded by a bunch of 15 year olds.

They implemented something broken for noble reasons that in point of fact don't matter. They chose the greater of two evils.

I dont disagree with most of your post, but I cannot agree that "I would argue that "implementing a broken system" and "refusing to change the broken system" are the same thing as far as the need to fix something is concerned." are the same.

when you build a big house which is functional but has problems not relating to peoples safety, you cannot simply go and replace its foundation. it will be cheaper and easier to just build a new house. in the meanwhile, people continue to live in the house. some leave, some arrive, etc etc.

desync is a cause of design problem, not the implementation.
"
vezuial wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

The fact that people say something a thousand times does not make it true, no matter how hard you want to believe it. I am also fairly comfortable that I do in fact have a clue about software engineering, and actually do understand desync and the challenges imposed by a predictive system and latencies. A 20+ second desync as shown in the video above can be mitigated, just as the desync caused when opening strongboxes. It does not require an engine rewrite or a PoE 2.0. This stuff is not new. PoE is not the first game dealing with this issue. It is simply a matter of investment.

first of all, anything is a matter of investment. resources arent infinite. poe 2.0 will be easier to make and especially deliver on return of investment, than spending a ton of resources rewriting the system. obviously GGG doesnt have the resources of a dev that develops a FPS

second of all, what video are you talking about ? regarding strongboxes, I believe there is two aspects to it- framerate drop when spawning (poor optimization) and desync itself

third of all, ok lets hear your proposed solution for desync issues. one that doesnt involve a more frequent force sync (ie /oos) as to stay within the confines of the predictive system

you are right, there are some games that use the predictive model successfully. most of those games also have had far bigger budgets. some of them use different network protocol to exchange packets.
a lot of them have less complexity with calculation and dont have things like accuracy where you can end up missing completely. a lot of them do complex adjustments or 'syncs' that are mostly unnoticeable because syncs are far more frequent or complex or server is more trusting of clients inputs and willing to compromise in its favor.

poe suffers from poor pathing a lot, that much is true. the hitboxes and pathing are extremely clunky.

hence why narrow doorways, fast move skills are problematic.

if server made compromises and allowed client to clip through things (ie quartz flask on crack) and hit monsters out of the hitbox the client thought it hit all the time, desync would be much more bearable. but it doesnt and its a part of the predictive model. I dont think its as easy to fix as you do.
The only way to make them fix it is to stop paying for wings, flaming skulls, special portals, and bunnies.

The apologist and fanboys will kick and scream and blame the player, their method of moving(I mean really, you can walk in an open map in a straight line and desync but its your fault), and of course your top of the line rig isn't up to the challenge.

And no, I don't think it's an easy fix.
Your RNGeesus is a false prophet
Last edited by Bakkasan on Oct 29, 2014, 7:55:32 PM
"
vezuial wrote:
A 20+ second desync as shown in the video above can be mitigated, just as the desync caused when opening strongboxes. It does not require an engine rewrite or a PoE 2.0. This stuff is not new.

That video show an infinite time desync. I resynced only because i triggered some event on the server with a repeated cast of leap slam.

The solution is not so simple. Due to GGG policy to never trust the client, any resincronization should happen only based on server decision alone. Otherwise this could be abused by a malicious player who could take advantages with respect to regular players by obtaining more frequent syncronization.

The only thing that GGG can do about that is to force a resyncronization once in a while (i.e. each 10 seconds, using GGG rules). However, a forced resync at fixed intervals could be annoying for most players, so it is not implemented.

SBoxes should have not introduced in this game.

The solution to desync is PoE2.0 with a deterministic engine. It does not require to rewrite the entire code of PoE, but it requires the core module to be entirely rewritten (and debugged..... and tested.....)
Roma timezone (Italy)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info