Question about Vorici crafting

So, I'm running a build where I'm intending to carry a bow as my 'backup' weapon, using it for rarity+culling without taking up space in my main setup and as a means to use Frenzy to build up charges from a distance if need be (It's a Flicker build). So all I really care about is the thing's attack speed and sockets for the most part, and as luck would have it I've actually gotten the two fastest unique bows to drop (despite this character being a self-found from-scratch run): a Quill Rain with a good roll (not that it matters much for my purposes) and a Storm Cloud with a perfect roll.

Here's the problem: I'd like to get at least 5 sockets onto one of them (culling+rarity+probably split arrow, as well as portal for convenience and lightning warp for busting ass away from strongboxes), but I found them both early; Quill Rain's iLevel 22 and Storm Cloud's iLevel 31, neither capable of being 5 socketed with Jeweller's. However, I'm curious if Vorici's crafting bench is able to add more sockets to an item than its item level would normally be able to possess. Does anyone know, would I actually be able to use his bench to 5-socket these?

Followup question, while I'm at it: even with a high enough item level, are Quill Rains (or shortbows and their higher-tier versions in general) capable of being 5 or 6 socketed? They've got a smaller inventory size than all the other types of bows, the same size as most 1-handed swords/axes/scepters/maces... it makes me wonder if they can actually have 5 or 6 sockets (I don't believe I've ever noticed them having that many, but I've never paid any real attention to them before).

Last edited by Shppy on Oct 24, 2014, 2:41:02 AM
Why you don't test this for yourself ?
Only put the bow in the crafting bench and see if the option for 5 linked you can use.
if not possible you get the hint why...
"
CallMeSnake wrote:
Only put the bow in the crafting bench and see if the option for 5 linked you can use.

Didn't have enough Jeweller's for that when I posted.

However, now that I have acquired enough, turns out it is possible, Vorici will allow you to surpass the number of sockets a given iLevel would normally allow. Put 5 sockets into my iLevel 22 Quill Rain.
Last edited by Shppy on Oct 24, 2014, 8:59:46 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
"
CallMeSnake wrote:

Didn't have enough Jeweller's for that when I posted.

However, now that I have acquired enough, turns out it is possible, Vorici will allow you to surpass the number of sockets a given iLevel would normally allow. Put 5 sockets into my iLevel 22 Quill Rain.

i want to see that.
"
Therealshotzz wrote:

i want to see that.

Good to know that Vorici can do that.
"
Shppy wrote:

strange to know that this surpasses the predefined limits.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
"
Shppy wrote:

strange to know that this surpasses the predefined limits.

eh, it's not entirely new. Strongboxes are able to surpass those limits with the 'items have additional sockets' affix... in fact, that's how i found my first 6L, back in Ambush league. I got it early in act 3 normal difficulty from an 'additional sockets' strongbox (like ridiculously early, in Sarn)

...and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I vendored it for a Divine, because I was new to the game (that was my first character) and I didn't understand the value of links yet, and the item wasn't something particularly usable by my character (although it was a chest piece, so it for a certainty could have been better than a Tabula for someone)

Anyway, point is it's not incredibly surprising that Vorici's allowed to do that when put in this perspective; I just wasn't entirely sure he could when I made this thread.
Last edited by Shppy on Oct 27, 2014, 8:30:25 PM
To me it seems different; "an additional socket" clearly implies the override of the given 'rules', while any other 'crafting' regulary stick to this rules. Or can you craft a level 30 affix on an item of lower ilvl too?
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info